Rib Weekend- St. Louis cut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonnybbq

Original poster
Oct 18, 2020
I’ve been experimenting with a few different rib smoking techniques. Between wrapping with foil, keeping them unwrapped, 3-2-1.. 2-2-1... different temps.. Using baby back vs. St. Louis cut... the whole nine yards.. Trying to find out what works best for me.
We were having people over the weekend and the people wanted ribs so I had to give the people what they wanted. Went to the grocery store and got 4 slabs of St. Louis cut ribs. I find these have a little more fat (fat means flavor right) so I’ve been leaning towards those as of late.

I just wanted to sit back drink some beer and not have a lot of work to do. I decided to keep these bad boys unwrapped and just base with some homemade vinegar sauce every few hours.

Threw in a mixture of hickory/apple pellets on my GMG, set the temp to 275 and got ready to roll.
After 2 hours of letting em cook I wanted to get a peek and put a coat of vinegar sauce on them. At this point the color of the ribs was perfect and if I was wrapping them, this would be the time to do so. But I just lathered these bad boys in sauce and let them ride. I kept basing the ribs every hour from here on out...

After 4.5 hrs these ribs had good bend and a darker color so I got them off, sprinkled little more rub on and got em ready for eating..

Now I must say they turned out very tender and juicy. They fell off pretty easily. Everyone enjoyed them.

But in terms of texture/color I think wrapping ribs is the way to go. My personal preference so far is to just simply wrap in foil with some vinegar sauce.

Also maybe need to improve my unwrapped rib technique. Next time I cook unwrapped ribs I think I will try to cook at 250. They shouldn’t cook as fast and get as dark and try to avoid some burnt ends..
This is a never ending game. I like experimenting and trying new things. I enjoy being a student of this art.

I have learned a lot reading through people on here. It’s a good community. Always open to hear what people have found works best for them and any suggestions/advice u may have...

Happy Smoking!

Attachments

• 5408B646-C7B6-4D14-8421-87FDE7467BCB.jpeg
    5408B646-C7B6-4D14-8421-87FDE7467BCB.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Welcome Johnny...
First, your ribs look great! Very nice dark color, and a hint of bone peeking out.
I am in the minority around here, and I wrap in butcher paper. It doesn't hold in the juices for a "braise", but it does tenderize a bit faster than not wrapping.
Long story short, I do a 3.5 hr open, and a sauce with 2 hour paper wrap and then let rest for 20 min. I have yet to come across overly dry or undercooked ribs this way, and it really allows me to enjoy the party. It's two timers, and serve.

Looks great to me but why so late with the spices? I'm a no wrap guy never sauce during the cook BBQ sauce last 30 min.

Warren
Looks great to me but why so late with the spices? I'm a no wrap guy never sauce during the cook BBQ sauce last 30 min.

Warren
Was just a touch up. I lathered it with rub 20 minutes before I started cook. How long do cook your ribs for? What temp?

Looks good to me! That's the thing with ribs, gotta experiment with different methods until you find what you like and make it repeatable.

Great job
Ryan

Reactions: jonnybbq
Welcome Johnny...
First, your ribs look great! Very nice dark color, and a hint of bone peeking out.
I am in the minority around here, and I wrap in butcher paper. It doesn't hold in the juices for a "braise", but it does tenderize a bit faster than not wrapping.
Long story short, I do a 3.5 hr open, and a sauce with 2 hour paper wrap and then let rest for 20 min. I have yet to come across overly dry or undercooked ribs this way, and it really allows me to enjoy the party. It's two timers, and serve.
I have done a similar method.. closer to 3 hours unwrapped. What temp do you smoke that at?

I run my ribs at 250 F unwrapped for 5.5 hours for baby backs and 6 hours for st Louis spares. Spritz periodically after rub sets.

I season the ribs the night before if I can and remove the membrane.

I sauce them the last hour. Once every 20 minutes.

I then put the ribs in a hotel pan with some liquid. Usually my leftover spritz. I let them steam and rest for 30 minutes.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky