RIB SUCCESS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake628

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Bellflower, CA
First off I want to thank tlhiv (Troy Henderson) for his post regarding “fall off the bone” ribs.  I too am a lover of ribs that fall off the bone instead of having to “pull” the meat off.  Thanks also to the many who have posted their comments about cooking the ribs via the 3-2-1 method.  It works great.

Finding St. Louis style ribs at our local stores or club warehouse has taken some searching.  We did find that Stater Bros. here is So. Calif does carry them all the time along with regular spare and baby backs.  So yesterday we picked up two nice racks to be smoked.  Last night I used a commercial rub and some extra brown sugar on them before wrapping in plastic wrap and putting in the frige over night.

Just before 11:30am I fired up the Traeger with a mix of Maple & Pecan pellets.  I decided to use the rib rack I bought for the bbq grill to see if that would help put more smoke flavor into them.  It seemed to work great.

After 3 hours of smoking I put the racks in foil with about 4 oz of apple juice.  The only problem was one of the bones punctured the foil as I was placing it on the grate.  When I opened up the foil 2 hours later the rack that had retained the most juice was at the falling off the bone stage.  I took them out of the foil and placed them back on the grate, bone side down for some bbq sauce mopping.  I wanted to try some Jack Daniels BBQ sauce that we picked up yesterday.  I only applied to the one side of each rack.  After an hour they were ready to eat and it was now 5:30p.  We only needed to wait a few minutes for the baked potatoes to be done. 

I would have to call these RIB-Tastic.  I couldn’t stop eating them until I was uncomfortable.  They were truly the best ribs I have ever cooked and I am so thankful to so many of you for all your info.  This forum is fantastic like my ribs were today.

The only problem was one of the bones punctured the foil as I was placing it on the grate. 
 i don't foil my ribs cuz i don't like "fall of the bone" but i do use disposable foil pans for my butts and they work great......try those for your ribs and ya won't loose any juice due to puncture.

Thanks for the suggestion chefrob.  I will give the disposable pan a try next time.  When I am ready to try pulled pork I will give you a shout.

The only problem was one of the bones punctured the foil as I was placing it on the grate. 
 i don't foil my ribs cuz i don't like "fall of the bone" but i do use disposable foil pans for my butts and they work great......try those for your ribs and ya won't loose any juice due to puncture.
Hey Jake - Smart and Final has ribs a lot here in So Cal

I agree with Rob - I want a little pull too - the fall off the bone is too soft to my palate but if that is what you like then I am happy for ya

Hey Rob
OK  all together now - "Thanks Santa"  time for a new avitar. Send me an email and I will change it for you 

Jake you had this one coming

8c731329_ThreadisUseless.jpg

Last edited:
gary, i don't know why i can't change my avatar....................i sent you one.

this is all i get:

"Unknown object to create image association with."

Last edited:
gary, i don't know why i can't change my avatar....................i sent you one.

this is all i get:

"Unknown object to create image association with."
You are now newly avitared LOL ( we both still look like Santa though )  Sorry for the temporary Hijack Jake

Last edited:
thx gary, much better now that i shaved.....maybe a little too close.

OK.... I'm still in the learning stage here.  Yes I have some pics that I can share.  Now let me see if I can attach.

89be71d0_11-ribs0118-01.jpg

This is 3 hours of smoking with maple & pecan

c54fb101_11-ribs0118-02.jpg

This is after 2 hours in the foil and the first mopping of JD BBQ sauce one side only

2e1ae964_11-ribs0118-03.jpg

The finished product ready to serve

Last edited:
Way to go Jake, the ribs look delicious. Everyone here likes fall off the bone too, I prefer a little tug, so we compromise. 4-1.5-.5, or 3-1.5-.5 for BB's.

icon_cool.gif

Well your ribs look awesome. It's nice to see your pics so don't listen to those other guys.

Nice job on them ribs! That's something to be proud of.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

After you get comfortable with ribs try doing a rack with no foil, but keep your temps down around 210-220°. Spritz 1x per hour after the first 2 hrs., after about 5 - 5 1/2 hrs. pick a rack up about 1/4-1/3 from the end with some tongs. If the rest of the rack bends staight down 90° they are done (that is called the bend test), if it doesn't bend easily give them another 30-60 minutes.

You still get an incredibly tender rack of ribs that you can bite, give a tiny bit of tug, and then slide clean off the bone.

I'm gonna try that next time Johnny. It's kinda of a hassle going in & out of the foil.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

After you get comfortable with ribs try doing a rack with no foil, but keep your temps down around 210-220°. Spritz 1x per hour after the first 2 hrs., after about 5 - 5 1/2 hrs. pick a rack up about 1/4-1/3 from the end with some tongs. If the rest of the rack bends staight down 90° they are done (that is called the bend test), if it doesn't bend easily give them another 30-60 minutes.

You still get an incredibly tender rack of ribs that you can bite, give a tiny bit of tug, and then slide clean off the bone.

I'm gonna try that next time Johnny. It's kinda of a hassle going in & out of the foil.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Try this technique Al, its one of my favorites!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/96521/1st-rib-o-lator-ribs  

I don't have the fancy ferris wheel, but I do the low and slow cook on the ribs with the brown sugar melt.... super fantastic ribs!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Johnny, I have a rack of BB's in the fridge as we speak rubbed & ready. Gonna smoke them tomorrow. Let you know how it turns out. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky