Review: LavaLock basket with minion bars

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ruckus

Original poster
Nov 21, 2017
Raleigh NC
One of my daughters gave me a Lavalock basket with minion bars for Christmas. I had a chance to try it out and thought I'd share my thoughts on it .

The basket is well constructed and very sturdy, with the bars it weighs in around 15#'s and should last for quite some time.

IMG_3661.JPG IMG_3662.JPG

I knew the basic concept but as with anything new the first use was a learning experience. I loaded it with Royal Oak and added wood chunks at what I thought would be a good ratio for both smoke and burn time. Some chunks were on top and some were closer to the bottom. I hadn't really seen anything about how to light it so I decided to light some coals in my chimney and add them to the top at the vent end of the firebox.

IMG_3664.JPG

This worked well at starting the coals, to well to be honest. I added to many hot coals over to long of a section and the fire started running away from me. My CC temp shot up to 300+ degrees with closed vents. I used some tongs and pulled all but a few lit coals out, leaving the lit coals in a vertical rather than horizontal line and replaced them with unlit coals. This method slowed down the spread of the fire and I was able to keep my CC at 225-235 for more than 4 hours without adding wood or charcoal and very little input on the FB vent. After about 4 hours I added some more unlit coals and the fire changed direction back towards the beginning of the chain.

I really like using this method. The basket and bars are top quality and I was able to keep stable temps over a long period and use less charcoal. As an added bonus I had some delicious ribs to eat after my test run.

IMG_3669.JPG

Reactions: Locomotive Breath
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky