Reverse seared Snake River Farms wagyu sirloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nursewizzle

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 10, 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
Never had wagyu before. I found a little market when I was out of town that sells Snake River Farms wagyu ribeye and sirloin. Did the sirloin today. Reverse seared on the 26" Weber. It came out ok. Maybe the ribeye, with more fat, will be even better. I don't know that I would pay $20/pound again on it.

I didn't get as good of a sear as I thought I should have so I pulled it before I got the sear because I was afraid it would overcook. Served with some cabbage fried in bacon grease.

2019-11-18 (2).jpg 2019-11-18 (1).jpg 2019-11-18.jpg

Last year around this time they ran a special in filets at half price and threw in a rack of Kurobota baby backs if you spent $100. I was not overly impressed with the filets and wouldn’t buy again at half price. I think the fattier cuts are likely much better.

Reactions: sandyut
Last year around this time they ran a special in filets at half price and threw in a rack of Kurobota baby backs if you spent $100. I was not overly impressed with the filets and wouldn’t buy again at half price. I think the fattier cuts are likely much better.

I think you're right. I'm a ribeye guy anyway, I'm sure the increased amount of fat in the ribeye will be spectacular.

Reactions: jcam222
It looks good from the pics. Sirloin needs a little help to get tender. I like a teriyaki marinade, but since yours was wagyu I would have done it the same way as you did. Just to see.

Point for sure
Chris

I found a store that sells SNF waygu ground beef when I was on vacation last month. I brought home two pounds of it and made burgers. Wasn't that highly impressed either. Think my ground up brisket burgers turn out better personally and def wouldn't pay the $8.99 lb price tag again.

Reactions: sandyut
That meat looks to be cooked darned near perfect for me, nice work! $20 a pound for any meat is just too rich for my blood, just can't bring myself to pay that kind of money. I'm a ribeye guy also and wait for this time of year when standing rib roasts go on sale for the holidays, I like $5 a pound or under. I back the bones off and cut steaks 1&1/2" thick, smoke the ribs later. Last year I aged a couple of whole roasts in the UMAi dry steak bags, one 30 days the other 45. I didn't notice enough difference to want to bother with that again, and I didn't care at all for what the dry aging did to the rim of the steak. Oh, looks like I'm gabbing a bit, sorry. RAY

That meat looks to be cooked darned near perfect for me, nice work! $20 a pound for any meat is just too rich for my blood, just can't bring myself to pay that kind of money. I'm a ribeye guy also and wait for this time of year when standing rib roasts go on sale for the holidays, I like $5 a pound or under. I back the bones off and cut steaks 1&1/2" thick, smoke the ribs later. Last year I aged a couple of whole roasts in the UMAi dry steak bags, one 30 days the other 45. I didn't notice enough difference to want to bother with that again, and I didn't care at all for what the dry aging did to the rim of the steak. Oh, looks like I'm gabbing a bit, sorry. RAY
How do you get those bones off at home? That keeps me from getting a standing rib roast.

I'm also looking for a sale on the whole roasts though, have a few Umai bags I got on Amazon and got an additional fridge just for this purpose.

How do you get those bones off at home? That keeps me from getting a standing rib roast.

I'm also looking for a sale on the whole roasts though, have a few Umai bags I got on Amazon and got an additional fridge just for this purpose.

With a good boning knife. I've killed and skinned a lot of wild hogs and a few deer bucks over the years so I learned how to process my own meat. It's really easy to do, after reading your post I found this on YouTube, hope it helps. I'm right handed, that's the hand that holds the handle of the knife. On my left hand I always wear a Kevlar glove. That's the hand that won't need to go to the ER because I was wearing a Kevlar glove. RAY

DSCN0928.JPG

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
The meal and cook looked amazing!
I found a store that sells SNF waygu ground beef when I was on vacation last month. I brought home two pounds of it and made burgers. Wasn't that highly impressed either. Think my ground up brisket burgers turn out better personally and def wouldn't pay the $8.99 lb price tag again.

WOW - good to know!! I have pondered throwing down for a wagu or SNF etc. Might jsut buy more prime at costco instead after reading these.

With a good boning knife. I've killed and skinned a lot of wild hogs and a few deer bucks over the years so I learned how to process my own meat. It's really easy to do, after reading your post I found this on YouTube, hope it helps. I'm right handed, that's the hand that holds the handle of the knife. On my left hand I always wear a Kevlar glove. That's the hand that won't need to go to the ER because I was wearing a Kevlar glove. RAY

View attachment 412066

Good info Ray. Never done this before either but plan on it now. Thanks for sharing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky