Retractable Awnings Hail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
City regulations are prohibiting me from any kind of carport. Don't have the room from property line. Even a portable one in front of garage is a no. We get hail a lot around here. Few miles north of us they had 4" hail couple days ago. Granted not much would of helped with that! I am thinking I could get away with one of those Retractable Awnings over garage door. My garage is very narrow and truck wont go inside. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Hoping they would handle up to 2" hail. The bed would still stick out but should be able to get hood and cab under it?

Reactions: JLeonard
Awnings and wind are not a good combination.

Garage door extension, would maybe need custom door ?

Last edited:
I've seen covers that have a bladder in them that gets pumped up . Only about an inch . I guess if you have the time before the hail hits it might help . It's like a car cover . Comes with a foot pump .

Reactions: jcam222
I had a Sunsetter retractable awning (20 footer), and although I did not live in an area that was considered windy, a sudden gust would lift it enough to sound like someone hit the side of the house. One time one of the legs was bent by a gust, you certainly would not want to forget that it was extended and leave the house.
For this reason, I would not have another one, but it might work for you

I think Winterrider has come up with a great solution, it would not be cheap but it might be cheaper than a permanent insurance rate hike after a claim.

Sounds like it not going to work. Around here its not if but when hail hits. A friend's Ford got hit and I guess the aluminum harder to fix. They had to cut the top off the cab and replace hood and fender. I have always had older cars I did not worry about but I love this truck.

Wind might tear it away before the hail hits

What is the issue with a portable one that you forget to take down

Awnings and wind are not a good combination.

Garage door extension, would maybe need custom door ?

I've seen covers that have a bladder in them that gets pumped up . Only about an inch . I guess if you have the time before the hail hits it might help . It's like a car cover . Comes with a foot pump .

I had a Sunsetter retractable awning (20 footer), and although I did not live in an area that was considered windy, a sudden gust would lift it enough to sound like someone hit the side of the house. One time one of the legs was bent by a gust, you certainly would not want to forget that it was extended and leave the house.
For this reason, I would not have another one, but it might work for you

I think Winterrider has come up with a great solution, it would not be cheap but it might be cheaper than a permanent insurance rate hike after a claim.

Worst case solution, maybe you could use 3" foam pads(or something similar) to cover the cab and front end of the truck. Tie It down tight with a couple of ratchet straps.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky