1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ref; Ideas for Pears?

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by TomKnollRFV, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:40 PM.

1. If you don't find a suitable solution, there is a little home in SW Missouri that loves pears!!!

2. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit

I'm planning to try and learn to properly can so I can mail some out to folks <And have some in winter>. These are miniature pears, Seckel I believe. Some aren't much bigger then a fig if that. <Seems every few years they come in super small>..

I'll see if I can make some thing good and see about mailing a jar or two out there ;)

3. TomKnollRFV

Instant pot did it's magic...now I'm going to have to simmer it down to a proper consistency- just a photo of it now.

I should note I didn't truly measure the rum out, I just poured, tasted, poured..tasted. I just wanted a rum flavour in the background more then the primary flavour. There's probably a good four or five shots in to flavour it. It's 7 pounds of pears <after coring out the seeds>.

Attached Files:

4. Great (hiccup!) start...

5. dls1

dls1 Smoking Fanatic

That's got my vote, Foam.

My wife and I rarely eat desert as we find most are heavy and way too sweet for our tastes. When the occasion arises, such as dinner guests who might typically expect dessert, pears poached in red wine is our go-to. A good hearty red wine (zin or cab) mixed with a little sugar and honey, along with spices such as nutmeg, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, and star anise. Poach the pears (peeled) in the wine, remove when done, reduce the wine to a syrup, pour over the pears, and serve. If I want to get a little decadent, I'll halve the pears, remove the seeds, and put the cut sides down on a plate that has a light coating of soft mascarpone cheese mixed with some honey and lemon zest.

foamheart likes this.
  6. TomKnollRFV

So the nutmeg didn't ruin it; but the cinnamon and vanilla aren't distinct either...basically it tastes like baking spice and some sweet sweet pears. I really had a feeling the amount of rum I put in wouldn't be sufficient; a lesson learned..

I also suspect this was not cooked down enough. I suspect after it cools, it'll still be spreadable, it's sort of like a thick apple sauce. Live and learn I guess! People already want to put it on ice cream. <Not a bad idea!>.. It's got that weird tang that pears always do, so at least I got the pear right!

I might do another batch..but I need to get more canning bits. Turns out we have more rims then lids and some of the jars are weird sizes. Did find one that was last used in 1985 by my grandma for Blueberry some thing according to the label. If any one is up in WI from this thread..there's still about 200 pounds of pears ... LOL

Attached Files:

7. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If it thickens up, spread it on a pork loin.. Just like apples

8. TomKnollRFV

Might have to try that as well, or grilled pork chops in that style!

9. You can always use it for something else and add more cinnamon or whatever you like. You can mix it in oatmeal and cream of wheat. I wonder if you can swirl it through baked goods, like breads or brownies. Maybe Blondies with dark chocolate, if it's that sweet and you swirl enough in. You could use it in a cinnamon roll filling. Maybe grate some citrus rind in, orange, lime, lemon, to brighten it up.

You can also use it in making salad dressings. Look up "Apple butter salad dressing recipes," like https://vegalicious.recipes/2008/10/01/spinach-salad-with-apple-butter-dressing/

Even, "recipes using Apple butter" could yield new options, since that's the more common butter.

10. TomKnollRFV

I didn't even think of swirling it in the bread..good idea Kris!

11. Pear vinegar
    Pear shrub
    Pear cordial

12. ristau5741

ristau5741 Meat Mopper

Binford 6100 likes this.
  13. Binford 6100

Binford 6100 Smoke Blower