Ref; Corned Beef Fatty?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
This might go under another subforum, but I was wondering has any one ever tried such a thing? I mean grinding up corned beef in place of the normal sausage? There's two ideas rattling around in my head for it..one would be a reuben fatty..the other would be a St Patrick's dinner fatty..

Reactions: buzzy
Yah I'm just not sure on grinding corned beef it self. I'll give it a try I suppose!

With Aldi's last day of that 1.99 for the points I figured it's a good idea to try it with that. I'll angle to get 3-5 pound size and grind it up after doing some soaking. Then I gotta find my friend's homemade sauerkraut for a reuben fatty..

No reason it shouldn't work. Adam Gertler of the Food Network made a Pastrami Dog. Ground Chuck, Cure #1 and all the Pastrami Spices in hog casing. Make sure the Sauer Kraut is really dry, Russian Dressing on the side...JJ

I was going to try it with no bacon weave, some swiss cheese, and a bit of dressing, and of course the sauerkaut right inside. Then serve it sliced on rye bread.

I'm wondering if I do a St Patrick dinner one, if I can get away with soda bread inside the fatty...

I did get a 4.2 pound chunk of corned beef to grind up. Figure what doesn't turn into fatty experiments, I'll use for Corned beef patty melts!

Great idea. Going to Aldi today to to get corned beef. Should be a crowd pleaser. Let us know how yours turns out

I was going to do them tonight..but I forgot one thing; I need to soak the corned beef.

I'll be making two because around 3 AM I had another idea. Corned beef hash fatty.. LOL!

I grounded up the corned beef..they always come with that seasoning packet, so I figured I'd sprinkle it on the meat.

Soaked it for about 3.5 hours... but devil of a time grinding this, even half frozen. Surprised me. Guess next time I'll just freeze it more.

Attachments

• 20190306_190014.jpg
    20190306_190014.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 83
Sounds like the pieces you were feeding into the grinder may have been to large.

Warren

I didn't think of that either, though when I was done grinding, it had alot of fat gumming it up..but here we go..the stuffing of the Hash fatty:

I should have used regular potatoes, but we had just a few handfuls of pre shedded fr ozen ones which I cooked pretty crispy..to much onion though. Way to much! Ahh well..I managed to get it all mostly closed up, I'll have to double check it and patch it before it goes in the smoker though! Just waiting on getting the dressing for the Rueben one to put it together!

Attachments

• 20190307_150246.jpg
    20190307_150246.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 77
So the Hash one when I went to get it on the smoker pan..sort of..broke. To much filling for sure. No bacon weave to hold them together..here is the reuben filling though! Now both are on my smoker...

Attachments

• 20190307_154449.jpg
    20190307_154449.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 74
I'm not sure how to rate this..they taste like the proper thing alright. On the other hand, the hash fatty basically fell apart. The reuben one had some problems, but I think an extra 1/4th pound of ground corned beef would have helped that.

A bacon weave would have help hold them together. Ground corned beef gets super super soft. I didn't anticipate this! I hope some one else tries these and learns from my experience!

PS: I put the reuben one on a piece of rye with a dab more dressing. It really is the real deal for flavour profile! Only thing I'd need for the hash is a fried egg on top!

Attachments

• 20190307_194056.jpg
    20190307_194056.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190307_194053.jpg
    20190307_194053.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20190307_202737.jpg
    20190307_202737.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20190307_203120.jpg
    20190307_203120.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190307_203132.jpg
    20190307_203132.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: Bearcarver
. Ground corned beef gets super super soft. I didn't anticipate this!

You'll need to try again with a homemade corned beef. Your store bought CB has been pumped with 25%-35% "flavor enhancers" like phosphates, papain, and water, which probably didn't help it holding it together.
Thanks for sharing your results! I've tried CB hash sausage with poor results, and now you got me thinking maybe I should try it again.

You'll need to try again with a homemade corned beef. Your store bought CB has been pumped with 25%-35% "flavor enhancers" like phosphates, papain, and water, which probably didn't help it holding it together.
Thanks for sharing your results! I've tried CB hash sausage with poor results, and now you got me thinking maybe I should try it again.

I was planning to give it a try some day. I'm a bit shy on pulling the gun on it though, last brisket I bought was awful! I had relatives over and over half the brisket was just huge layers of fat. I plattered the good stuff and basically had 12 pounds of fat, almost no meat in the fat etc. No way of knowing before I had served, I'd hate to get that and make Corned beef.

My version of corned beef has always been in my mind, the canned 'dog food' stuff. But every year I take left over st patrick's cabbage and corned beef and a few taters I set aside and do a cabbage hash with it. Maybe I should try that instead. I don't think the onions helped this. Soft fried taters and dressed up fried cabbage would have been better..

I was hesitant to use the bacon because I thought it would really over power the natural corned beef flavours, but I think it might be needed. Ahh well! Learning experiences! I want to see these sausages though!

No way of knowing before I had served, I'd hate to

Growing up, we frequently had a Boiled Supper. Same fixin's but instead of Corned Beef, Mom used Boneless Smoked Shoulder, aka, Pork Goodie, Cottage Ham or Daisy Ham. The football shaped shoulder comes encased in a plastic tube. You can't see what it looks like so you have to go by feel. Dad taught that, at refer temps, fat is Hard and lean Meat is Soft. When feeling the Shoulders, if hard and inflexible, Dad put it back. The soft Shoulders went in the cart.
Same goes for Brisket or Corned Beef. Firm, stiff Points are going to be Fatty. Soft, floppy Brisket tend to be lean and more tender...JJ

BTW...All passed on but 40 years ago, if you served Lean or Trimmed Meat, at a family gathering, the Host would have to endure a snarky razzing about not knowing what good meat looks like.

Reactions: DanMcG
Growing up, we frequently had a Boiled Supper. Same fixin's but instead of Corned Beef, Mom used Boneless Smoked Shoulder, aka, Pork Goodie, Cottage Ham or Daisy Ham. The football shaped shoulder comes encased in a plastic tube. You can't see what it looks like so you have to go by feel. Dad taught that, at refer temps, fat is Hard and lean Meat is Soft. When feeling the Shoulders, if hard and inflexible, Dad put it back. The soft Shoulders went in the cart.
Same goes for Brisket or Corned Beef. Firm, stiff Points are going to be Fatty. Soft, floppy Brisket tend to be lean and more tender...JJ

BTW...All passed on but 40 years ago, if you served Lean or Trimmed Meat, at a family gathering, the Host would have to endure a snarky razzing about not knowing what good meat looks like.

Huh..good thing to know! Thanks Jimmy! And..I don't mind some fat..but when you have entire sections that are all fat and the dogs turn their nose up.....

I'll have to use that next time I go to the GFS, check for some decent briskets!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky