Recteq 1250 with first self trimmed brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Furby076

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 20, 2022
Hey all
I am going to start my usda prime brisket on my new pellet smoker. Its first time using pellet smoker, first time trimming and first time overnight cook!

How does the trim look? 2 parts course black pepper, 1 part course kosher salt and 14 part fine garlic powder
20220416_150339.jpg
20220416_151328.jpg
20220416_151341.jpg
20220416_151601.jpg

Go big or go home right???
Either way I’m in for this one. I’ll be up nice and early tomorrow with the Turkey and ham going on. Can’t wait to see this.
Go big or go home right???
Either way I’m in for this one. I’ll be up nice and early tomorrow with the Turkey and ham going on. Can’t wait to see this.
Jinx!

I'm with chopsaw chopsaw on this, questionable for an overnight with a new rig. But best of luck, hope it all turns out good for you.
Why questionable on new rig?

I took it out by the pool, it smoked the crud out of my bug screened patio.

General to all

Settinf recteq to extreme smoke id it common for fan to turn on and off, on and off etc repeatedly?

20220416_221337.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Not speaking for anyone else here but when I get a new smoker, even after burn in and seasoning I will do a few short supervised cooks just to make sure it's going to behave. Then move on to the more complicated less babysitting cooks. It's probably just me erring on the side of safety.

Yes.

10pm to 8am at 180
Then wrap and 225 until tender and internal 205.
Then put in cooler for 4 hours

Hope it’s going well! Im not as concerned about a bold first break in cook, but was surprised at your cooking temps though? I’d recommend starting at at least 225. Besides food safety that is going to dramatically increase cook time. 225 is plenty low. If you stick with the lower temps you can bring it up to 275 to shorten the cook time, you won’t taste a difference and many here smoke at 275. Also remember the IT isnt the end target, that’s when you start probing the flat to make sure it’s tender. Your brisket may be done probe tender at 200 or 210. When it is probe tender let it cool unwrapped for a bit, before you wrap and stick in the cooler otherwise it will keep cooking a bit and temp may rise.

Good luck!

Hope it’s going well! Im not as concerned about a bold first break in cook, but was surprised at your cooking temps though? I’d recommend starting at at least 225. Besides food safety that is going to dramatically increase cook time. 225 is plenty low. If you stick with the lower temps you can bring it up to 275 to shorten the cook time, you won’t taste a difference and many here smoke at 275. Also remember the IT isnt the end target, that’s when you start probing the flat to make sure it’s tender. Your brisket may be done probe tender at 200 or 210. When it is probe tender let it cool unwrapped for a bit, before you wrap and stick in the cooler otherwise it will keep cooking a bit and temp may rise.

Good luck!
Solid advice here. This is almost exactly how I do em. Brisket is very forgiving when it comes to higher heat. Some even prefer to do them hot and fast.

Reactions: bauchjw
Thank you for all the advice. When taken out for wrap, i was expecting it to have juice coming out when the probe was put in. My fear is i made a dry brisket...

Now its wrapped and in at 255. The pic is internal temp from being at 180 grill temp (so ignore 255 as that was just set). Im used to 6 hour smokes where i constantly tend a small fire (chargriller flavor pro, using wood chunks), so i see its constantly leaking juices. This came out dry on the outside.

Ringer Ringer Of the youtubers that i saw, they all did around 180 to 225 depending on the unit. One specifically did the recteq 700 at 180 (xtreme smoke). I thought of slow cook and food born disease, but assumed the final cook at 255 would take care of this issue.
20220417_081737.jpg
20220417_082402.jpg

Thank you for all the advice. When taken out for wrap, i was expecting it to have juice coming out when the probe was put in. My fear is i made a dry brisket...

Now its wrapped and in at 255. The pic is internal temp from being at 180 grill temp (so ignore 255 as that was just set). Im used to 6 hour smokes where i constantly tend a small fire (chargriller flavor pro, using wood chunks), so i see its constantly leaking juices. This came out dry on the outside.

Ringer Ringer Of the youtubers that i saw, they all did around 180 to 225 depending on the unit. One specifically did the recteq 700 at 180 (xtreme smoke). I thought of slow cook and food born disease, but assumed the final cook at 255 would take care of this issue.
View attachment 629533View attachment 629534
Don’t worry about no juices at that temp! If brisket is dry 99.9 percent of the time it’s under done. Stay on track until probe test! Looking good!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky