Rec Tec RT700 question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Is it not funny how life works? The wife knows I am about to pull the trigger on a cooker purchase and just a few minutes ago reminds me that the new flooring she has wanted for awhile needs to be a reality. :emoji_astonished: She knows I cant in good conscience stonewall on this issue any longer now that I want to drop some green on a nonessential. $2800 plus for the Yoder or $1800-$2000 plus for Rec Tec depending on which bundle I choose. She knows my frugal nature so I think the decision is made. Well played wife...well played.

And by the way I want the bundle that nets me the comp cart but both include that smoke box that I dont give a rat's a$$ about. Rec Tec states no substitution on bundles so I hope I find a use for that white elephant.

Last edited:
Is it not funny how life works? The wife knows I am about to pull the trigger on a cooker purchase and just a few minutes ago reminds me that the new flooring she has wanted for awhile needs to be a reality. :emoji_astonished: She knows I cant in good conscience stonewall on this issue any longer now that I want to drop some green on a nonessential. $2800 plus for the Yoder or $1800-$2000 plus for Rec Tec depending on which bundle I choose. She knows my frugal nature so I think the decision is made. Well played wife...well played.

Wives have a special talent for doing just as you describe above.

As an aside, the gentleman above made a comment about "return policies"

Some valuable information regarding the grill that he suggested from that company's website:

"We accept the return of products that are defective due to defects in manufacturing and/or workmanship for 30 days from the date of purchase....

You can return a Rec Tec for any reason within 30 days.

Here's what they say on their site: This appears on their site: "If you are not fully satisfied with your REC TEC, just return the grill within 30 days and we will refund your purchase price."

You're not getting a bunch of rigmaroll, crap and "qualifications", if you're not satisfied. Just return it within 30 days, and they'll give you your money back.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoubleBull
Actually alot.

OK. Then you ought not have any trouble naming one.

Go ahead. I'm here to learn as well. Show me where any Grilla pellet grill has a 6 year warranty.

They all follow each other ya know including Grilla. One offers an extra year warranty then before you know it they all do.

Here's what I'm seeing on their site:

"For example, Camp Chef has a 3 year warranty from purchase date while Grilla Grills has a 4 year limited warranty from purchase date. Cleary, it’s better to buy a pellet grill that has a longer warranty just in case something goes wrong."

Now no offense, but I'm going to have to favor what they say on their site, vs your comments.

You mention "an extra year of warranty"?

Grilla offers a 4yr warranty on the Grilla, and a 4 year warranty on the Silverback.

They'd have to offer "two extra years" of warranty, to match the length of warranty that the Rec Tec Bull has.

Here's the deal, for all of these things what's most likely to fail are the electonics. In the electronics industry you have what is known as infant mortality syndrome which says if it doesnt fail right off the bat it's most likely to last for years and years.

And if my product happens to deviate from this "syndrome", well then I want a longer warranty.

Grilla appears to even agree with this way of thinking, however they do not offer a 6 yr warranty such as on the Rec Tec Bull.

Again, here is what they say on their site regarding warranty, and what I am compelled to take them at their word on:

"For example, Camp Chef has a 3 year warranty from purchase date while Grilla Grills has a 4 year limited warranty from purchase date. Cleary, it’s better to buy a pellet grill that has a longer warranty just in case something goes wrong."

"Just in case something goes wrong". OK. I'll take them at their word. I happen to agree with that position.

As far as the satisfaction guarentee goes, they'd all rather take a unit back than have some malcontent out there pissing on the fairly limited market place. That is unless it's an internet ripoff operation.

OK, well then why not spell it out; if you are dissatisfied with the product for any reason, you can return it in 30 days, instead of a bunch of stipulations on returns regarding "defective due to defects in manufacturing and/or workmanship for 30 days from the date of purchase...."?

Here is what Rec Tec states on their site:

"If you are not fully satisfied with your REC TEC grill, just return it within 30 days and we will refund your purchase price.

No double talk about "defects in manufacturing and/or workmanship. If you are not "fully satisfied", just return it.

If Grilla has a similar policy, well then point to it.

The bottom line here, is that Grilla does not offer as long of a warranty, 6years, as Rec Tec does on their Bull. No two ways about that.

Nor do they provide a written mechanism for returning your grill in 30 days "unless" the following stipulation is met: "defective due to defects in manufacturing and/or workmanship for 30 days from the date of purchase.

But don't take my word for it. Visit their site.

Rec Tec simply offers a longer warranty and a better return policy on their Bull than the product that you have recommended.

Last edited:
Hey S SlowmotionQue maybe I should tell him about my Rec Tec experiences....He will be a believer for sure...LOL

In short I got a grill that was crushed in the shipment....no fault to Rec Tec. They could have waited to file the claim with the shipper but they didnt....I had a party scheduled for the forth of july and ordered 3 weeks prior....the first one was delivered the friday before the forth crushed. They managed to not only send me a new one but got it to me in 72 hours!!! IN TIME FOR MY PARTY!!
That is customer service.
I can assure you that out of all of the "reports"of warped diffusers....none of them is causing an issue myself included! I would not have even known about it if somebody didnt say anything and I have seen ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in the way the heat is dispersed or in the way the grill cooks!

Last but definitely not least...there is an entire forum with some of the greatest guys and gals on there who are all there at your beck and call to help with any issue you have. Me included!!

If this doesnt convince you well I hope you the very best in whatever pit you decide on...I am in love with my Rec Tec!

Great story.

Is the smokebox on Rec Tec worth having?

Unless you're smoking cheese, nuts, and doing a lot of cold smoking, then probably not. Only you can answer that though.

Were it me, I probably would not buy it right off the bat, but if I discovered that I wanted or needed it, then I might spring for it later.

I bought the package that came with it and it works great to also keep your food warm....I use it as a warming box and a cold smoker. When I bought mine it was called the ultimate pit master package and it came with every option and accessory rec tec offered and I have been super happy with every item thus far. Not a single issue with it.
I just did my first overnight cook and it was a dream ....no pun intended to be able to put the meat on the pit and goto bed and not worry about it holding temps or feeding the wood to the fire. I woke up the next morning and she was humming away making some great eats and I wasnt exhausted tired from sitting up all night.

Unless you're smoking cheese, nuts, and doing a lot of cold smoking, then probably not. Only you can answer that though.

Were it me, I probably would not buy it right off the bat, but if I discovered that I wanted or needed it, then I might spring for it later.

I don't know what the temperature might be in the box if you were running the pit at 225-250, but cheese,nuts and fish...prolly not. Sliced beef bologna and brats or what not then yes or as a warmer maybe.

I bought the package that came with it and it works great to also keep your food warm....I use it as a warming box and a cold smoker. When I bought mine it was called the ultimate pit master package and it came with every option and accessory rec tec offered and I have been super happy with every item thus far. Not a single issue with it.
I just did my first overnight cook and it was a dream ....no pun intended to be able to put the meat on the pit and goto bed and not worry about it holding temps or feeding the wood to the fire. I woke up the next morning and she was humming away making some great eats and I wasnt exhausted tired from sitting up all night.

I am guessing you have the comp cart then? Like it better than the standard cart with a wheel mod where you might retain the storage space underneath? I think the Yoder comp cart sets the Yoder off as looks go....not sure about the RT though. Will have to see some images, but $400 for some casters and lose bottom shelf...I dunno.

I am guessing you have the comp cart then? Like it better than the standard cart with a wheel mod where you might retain the storage space underneath? I think the Yoder comp cart sets the Yoder off as looks go....not sure about the RT though. Will have to see some images, but $400 for some casters and lose bottom shelf...I dunno.
Yes I got the comp cart and love it. I dont store anything under my grill because quite frankly what is there to store. I live in Ft lauderdale and We have more rain than I care to talk about right now so I dont leave anything outside unless its waterproof...LOL The cart makes rolling this thing a breeze anywhere I want to. The way it is built ...its like a tank I wanted it just because I knew I was adding the smoker box and wanted every bit of stability I could get and I am super happy with it all.
Again I have every accessory for this pit and have used everything . If you were local to me I would invite you over for a test drive, thats how much I believe in this product! NO I DONT WORK FOR THEM NOR AM I PAID...God I wish!!
I can tell you that this pit has severely elevated my smoking to an entirely new level to where I will be taking it with me to a smoker get together in sebring Florida and I just might enter the Rib comp. Maybe...possibly...lol

You seem intent on selling me a grill when I allready have the one I wanted. Why?

It's looking like you can't show that Grilla offers a 6 year warranty on their pellet grills. Nor does it appear that you were you able to find where they offer a no questions asked 30 day return policy.

I had a good idea that you would not be able to.

And actually no. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm just glad that your grill is yours, and my grill is mine.

The gentleman who started the thread was inquiring. Myself and a few others were giving him our observations regarding one of the product manufacturer's whose products he was interested in.

You attempted to compare Grilla against Rec Tec. And, well, when the differences were pointed out, well......

When I was looking I looked at rectal tec err ah Rectec along with all Pit Boss, Green Montain and all the others and after considering everything I choose the Grilla based on build quality, common sense features like double wall for thermal efficency along with cold weather performane and overall value.

You don't need to try and sell me a pellet grill. I already have the one I wanted.

Listen, I'm glad that your grill is yours, and that my grill is mine.

Look I checked out rectal tec when I was comparing prior to buying and eliminated them for something but don't know what now. Do they have double wall construction or do you need a blanket in cold weather?

Yeah, "double wall construction."

If I need it, then I'll invest in a covering blanket for my smoker for use in cold weather.

We all know that heat rises.

If "double thickness" steel is needed and is such a great idea, well then why isn't it on the lid too, as opposed to just the bottom of the grill, since heat rises?

Better yet, why isn't the entire grill double shielded if double shielding for cold weather performance is such a great idea and a necessity?

Why isn't the lid sealed tighter or a gasket placed around it to prevent heat from escaping in addition to and instead of double shielding on just the bottom of the grill?

In my mind, this nothing more than a gimmick. Intended to be marketed as an "advantage" to gullible consumers.

Look at any of the grill covers for sale, and they all cover the lid as well as the barrel or parts of it. Because heat rises.

I live in the northeast. You indicate that you are in California? Is that a correct assessment?

Because if it is, I'm betting that it gets colder here in Steeler country than it does in Rams country.

I've not needed "double wall construction" for smoking in sub zero wind chills during football season.

And don't feel that I will need it. Nor do I want to use fuel to heat up that additional wall of metal when it's not cold outside.

Do people in Florida also need this "double skinned" smoker?

Or do they sell a different model if you live in Florida or Texas, or Phoenix without the double skin?

It's "features" like "double skin construction for insulation", which at least to me, seem more like gimmicks as opposed to something which has actual utility, but that's just how I see it. Others may see it differently.

Which is again why, I'm glad that your grill is yours, and my grill is mine.

But on a side note, I wonder why Weber has never put "double wall construction" in their Smokey Mountains or any of their Kettles if it's such a good idea for "cold weather". They sell more grills and smokers than anybody.

I've tailgated in subzero weather with people using UDS type smokers.

I wonder why they don't use two drums, two UDS smokers, one inside of the other, for "insulation" when we're tailgating.

Maybe it was just overall value compared to Grilla. It was not for nothing I know that much. I looked at pretty much everything out there a year or so ago and settled on Grilla for the number of boxes that were checked off. I do remember that stainless steel in the right places, double wall construction and good aftersales support emerged as leading factors as price wasn't of too much importance to me. Some but not that high.

Again, and I cannot overemphasize this or say it enough. I'm glad that you are happy with your purchase, because I am surely happy with mine.

Last edited:
As I said it doesn't really matter because if you don't have a problem in the first thirty days you're likely not going to have any at all.

I see. So tell me something....

Since you seem to believe that one really only needs to worry about the first 30 days, would you have bought your grill for the same money if it had a 30 day warranty on it instead of it's 4 year warranty?

Besides I know they'll take a grill back if you're not happy because I know a guy that returned his for a full refund and there was nothing wrong with it.

Not doubting you. But I wonder why they won't put this policy in print.

The guy decided to spend a ton of money on an all stainless Memphis Elite rig convined he needed PID for about five grand.

What I think sold me on the Grilla over your Rectec was the double wall construction. Grilla don't need no stinkin blankets and gets about a third better fuel efficiency into the bargain.
I forgot who else has double wall other than Grilla and Memphis but as I said you're lookin at a 5 grand price tag for a Memphis. I got my Silverbac back with options, do dads and pellets for 1 grand.

I'm glad that your grill is yours and that my grill is mine.

If I need a coat, well then I'll put one on. If I don't, well then I won't.

I use my cookers year round. I have two WSMs, an 18in and a 22in, a 22in Weber Kettle, a Kamado Joe, my Rec Tec Stampede, a Weber Genesis gasser, and a 26in Weber Kettle.

I have never needed a blanket nor "double metal shielding” for any of them and I live in an area of the country where it can get very cold outside.

Last edited:
All of you have been very helpful and I have enjoyed the lively discourse. I want to ask again if new eyes come across this thread about downdrafts if anyone has used them and the positives or negatives associated with its use?

I am the person that got a whole new grill shipped to them. I echo everyone's comments here. Amazing team over there that really care about the consumer. In regards to Rec Tec or Yoder, that was my original conundrum as well and honestly choose Rec Tec because i couldn't see the added benefit of spending more when im going to be mostly just cooking on the weekends and holidays since i have a desk job.

I don't use down drafts, so I can't speak to them. But when you mentioned "coin in your pocket", as a result of the price difference, well, of course that extra coin will allow for the purchase of meat as well.

Rec Tec grills and several others are made in China to the company's specs.

That said, we hear a lot about "American Made" in the descriptions of some of the other products out there.

I seriously doubt that any of them is 100% "American made" down to the last circuit board or circuit board component in it's controller. Down to the last wire, down to the last washer.

Just about any product with electronics in it that I can name, will have foreign parts in it somewhere.

You are correct in the electronics part of your statement but to lump the mass production Chinese grills in with the few that are made here in America isn't very fair. There is a LARGE difference in quality when comparing some of the grills made here in the States vs. Overseas. One that just launched a couple of weeks ago I got my hands on and its night and day difference. Every inch of the grill, down to the nuts and bolts are American made 304 Stainless steel. You wont find that quality anywhere on the Chinese Market. You may pay for it here, but to some people like myself, it's worth buying 1 grill that last as long as I do than buying 3-4 over that same time span.

Funny, I used to purchase a lot of steel parts from China. That is until I realized what their steel was really composed of - anything and everything including your car door. They don't care about quality when it comes to metal parts. Nowadays, when I order steel, I receive a printout of what it is made of based on that specific run.

Yes I bought a Pit Boss, and yes I know it is made in China. But I do know enough not to be alarmed if and when I see premature rusting of the metal parts. Its the price I pay and the gamble I took.

Reactions: Richard Foster
You are correct in the electronics part of your statement but to lump the mass production Chinese grills in with the few that are made here in America isn't very fair. There is a LARGE difference in quality when comparing some of the grills made here in the States vs. Overseas. One that just launched a couple of weeks ago I got my hands on and its night and day difference. Every inch of the grill, down to the nuts and bolts are American made 304 Stainless steel. You wont find that quality anywhere on the Chinese Market. You may pay for it here, but to some people like myself, it's worth buying 1 grill that last as long as I do than buying 3-4 over that same time span.

I hear you Pelletpro16.

But I’m the type who’ll want the next latest and greatest.

The technology intrigues me. I see how backyard BBQ has evolved over the last several years. We’re at the PID and WiFi stage now in terms of most advanced tech today

Grills that can be turned on or off, and/or monitored from virtually anywhere. Grills which will hold temperature to within plus or minus 5°F.

Who would have expected that 10-12 years ago? But that is what excites me about what is next on the horizon from a tech standpoint when it comes to backyard BBQ.

Who knows what’s on the horizon in terms of the next advancement in backyard BBQ.

I remember when the BBQ Gurus came out. Remember when the pushbutton start gas grills with 3 heating elements came out, I have a Weber Genesis. Remember when the Weber Summit Charcoal series came out. Recall the improvements over the last few years made to the Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe kamado style cookers. Remember the newest Twin Eagles coming out.

Companies in this game, and looking to get into it, well, they're always coming out with something new and improved. Intended to take the backyard BBQ experience and family holiday gatherings to that next level in terms of convenience, predictability and repeatability. Intended to allow a novice to look better than he is.

I can't wait to see what's next.

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/

I didn’t buy my pellet grill intending for it to outlive me.

Don’t get me wrong, I expect durability. But it is a safe bet that every pellet grill out there right now and on the top of the rung as pellet grills go, will at some point, become obsolete. Happens with a lot of products. I don't expect pellet grills to be any different.

If I had a 25 year old Weber gasser right now, really what would I have compared to the improved models of today?

Also, like some products, I’m thinking some Apple products here in posting this, iPads, computers, as they come to mind, how long before the company stops supporting the older products?

On another note, as I get nostalgic as seen above, I have a buddy who has a 1976 Cadillac Deville. In it's day, it was a top of the line luxury vehicle. It's built like a tank. But it's a technological relic. A dinosaur. Way behind from a tech standpoint. Still built like a tank though.

However as well built as it is, I certainly would not want to take a road trip in it or spend a long time behind the wheel of it vs say even a brand new Ford F150 Platinum pickup truck, which is an example of today's luxury pickup trucks. My point is, today's pickup trucks are more technologically advanced, luxurious and in all ways better than yesterday's top of the line luxury sedans.

So yeah, I want it to last during my ownership. But it doesn't have to outlive Methuselah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pelletpro16
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky