Rec Tec RT700 question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So which one did you buy?
I was tempted but choked on the price and perceived wrath from SWMBO. After having just dropped 60-70 large on a new deck, I decided to be sensitive as she'd just recoverd from the new tractor. As they say, it's supposed to be give and take.

Sorry just now saw this. I went with a grill that just hit the market, (family friend owns the business), Big Bear Grill. I got the Kodiak. www.bigbeargrills.com is their website I believe

I hear you Pelletpro16.

But I’m the type who’ll want the next latest and greatest.

The technology intrigues me. I see how backyard BBQ has evolved over the last several years. We’re at the PID and WiFi stage now in terms of most advanced tech today

Grills that can be turned on or off, and/or monitored from virtually anywhere. Grills which will hold temperature to within plus or minus 5°F.

Who would have expected that 10-12 years ago? But that is what excites me about what is next on the horizon from a tech standpoint when it comes to backyard BBQ.

Who knows what’s on the horizon in terms of the next advancement in backyard BBQ.

I remember when the BBQ Gurus came out. Remember when the pushbutton start gas grills with 3 heating elements came out, I have a Weber Genesis. Remember when the Weber Summit Charcoal series came out. Recall the improvements over the last few years made to the Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe kamado style cookers. Remember the newest Twin Eagles coming out.

Companies in this game, and looking to get into it, well, they're always coming out with something new and improved. Intended to take the backyard BBQ experience and family holiday gatherings to that next level in terms of convenience, predictability and repeatability. Intended to allow a novice to look better than he is.

All great points.
I can't wait to see what's next.

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/

I didn’t buy my pellet grill intending for it to outlive me.

Don’t get me wrong, I expect durability. But it is a safe bet that every pellet grill out there right now and on the top of the rung as pellet grills go, will at some point, become obsolete. Happens with a lot of products. I don't expect pellet grills to be any different.

If I had a 25 year old Weber gasser right now, really what would I have compared to the improved models of today?

Also, like some products, I’m thinking some Apple products here in posting this, iPads, computers, as they come to mind, how long before the company stops supporting the older products?

On another note, as I get nostalgic as seen above, I have a buddy who has a 1976 Cadillac Deville. In it's day, it was a top of the line luxury vehicle. It's built like a tank. But it's a technological relic. A dinosaur. Way behind from a tech standpoint. Still built like a tank though.

However as well built as it is, I certainly would not want to take a road trip in it or spend a long time behind the wheel of it vs say even a brand new Ford F150 Platinum pickup truck, which is an example of today's luxury pickup trucks. My point is, today's pickup trucks are more technologically advanced, luxurious and in all ways better than yesterday's top of the line luxury sedans.

So yeah, I want it to last during my ownership. But it doesn't have to outlive Methuselah.

First time poster. Based on this forum and this thread I pulled the trigger on a Rec Tec 700 today. I was debating between the Silverbac and Rec Tec 700. All of the accolades on here regarding Rec Tec as a company pushed me in that direction. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for everyone's input, both pro and con.

I will, Since I was the OP I thought you were asking me. OOPS!

First time poster. Based on this forum and this thread I pulled the trigger on a Rec Tec 700 today. I was debating between the Silverbac and Rec Tec 700. All of the accolades on here regarding Rec Tec as a company pushed me in that direction. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for everyone's input, both pro and con.

I finally came down off the fence and ordered the Rec Tec RT700 Gold bundle last night. Thank god because this has been a brutal experience for me. LOL

Both of you guys made great decisions.

PID control, solid construction inside, stainless construction in the cooking chamber, fire pot, grates, excellent value for the money, customer service and support that is legendary as already seen in this thread. Sheesh, I don’t know what to say other than it’s great to see others do their homework and end up making an excellent purchasing decision after doing their due diligence.

Let us know when you get them and be sure to post up pics of those first cooks.

Last edited:
DoubleBull DoubleBull I tried the Rec Tec rubs too - they are pretty damn good! Nice variety in the combo pack! I was happily surprised with these and teh price is good. Their sauce is a more the thinner vinegar base, which my wife loves, I tend to prefer the more ketchup base thicker sauces - but that is just a preference.

If you live anywhere HOT in the summer - you will want to read this write up about the minimum auger setting. Rec Tec has videos on this too. Its super easy.

DoubleBull DoubleBull I tried the Rec Tec rubs too - they are pretty damn good! Nice variety in the combo pack! I was happily surprised with these and teh price is good. Their sauce is a more the thinner vinegar base, which my wife loves, I tend to prefer the more ketchup base thicker sauces - but that is just a preference.

If you live anywhere HOT in the summer - you will want to read this write up about the minimum auger setting. Rec Tec has videos on this too. Its super easy.

I did not try any of the rubs, no more room in the pantry with all of the odds and ends that are in there now. lol Never met a sauce I did not like. The company line here in Tejas is no sauce....at least Central Texas anyway. I live in East Texas though and we like a little sauce. Closer to deep south BBQ here. I have never been much on the company line as such, I eat what I like.

I don't know what the temperature might be in the box if you were running the pit at 225-250, but cheese,nuts and fish...prolly not. Sliced beef bologna and brats or what not then yes or as a warmer maybe.

For cheese, I think I would run temp as low as possible and put it in the coolest section of the box. Alternatively, maybe not run the grill at all, and smoke with an AMAZEN tube in the grill at otherwise ambient temps, with the cheese in the box? I'm interested in how that might work out

Reactions: DoubleBull
I don't know what the temperature might be in the box if you were running the pit at 225-250, but cheese,nuts and fish...prolly not. Sliced beef bologna and brats or what not then yes or as a warmer maybe.

There are 3 racks in the box, and 2 thermometers, one near the top rack and one near the bottom. At 225 ish on the pit, I tend to see 150 or so on the top thermometer and 100 ish on the lower one. For cold smoking (if we ever have cold weather here on the Georgia coast again), I prefer to start at ambient temps (pit off) with a tube smoker on the pit grates. It's also great as a warmer if needed, depending on the pit temp. It can get hot in the box (I think I saw near 300 on the top rack when I was running the piton wide-open-high).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky