Raised firebox grate?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Adams

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2018
SC
I saw a YouTube video for my highland offset that suggested turning the firebox grate sideways to create more room underneath for air, thus eliminating the need for constant ash scraping during long cooks. Has anyone done this? Are there any drawbacks? Thinking about trying it when I cook this weekend.

Video says the normal grate placement has a 2inch gap underneath where turning 90degrees will leave a 4inch gap

I don’t have Hey smoker but I have two stick burners and I replaced the charcoal grate with expanded steel and raised them. I would suggest you do this.

Scott

I took a large piece of expanded steel, and a large square paver stone, and a small hand help sledge hammer, molded the expanded steel around the paver stone and made a nice charcoal basket. It wasn't fun tying the corners together nor grinding down the sharp edges on a bench grinder, but it ended up working out quite well.

I have that same smoker and put two of the grates in sideways to cover the entire firebox. The only drawback is that the heat caused them to bow down a bit but the need to clean out the ash buildup is most definitely reduced for long cooks. I don't even scrap any ash out unless I go over seven hours or so. My five hour cooks never require me to scrape the ash. I do use the Embers charcoal which puts out a bit less ash than Kingsford.

George

Thanks Ristau, but I think I’m gonna use the grates while they’re holding up.

That’s what I was thinking about doing George, since I don’t plan on ever cooking directly in the main chamber. Glad to know both grates will fit

I saw a YouTube video for my highland offset that suggested turning the firebox grate sideways to create more room underneath for air, thus eliminating the need for constant ash scraping during long cooks. Has anyone done this? Are there any drawbacks? Thinking about trying it when I cook this weekend.

Video says the normal grate placement has a 2inch gap underneath where turning 90degrees will leave a 4inch gap

I have only ever turned the grates sideways since my first cook in the Highland....but tomorrow i will be seasoning the new baffle plate I got for it, so I plan on putting the grates back to their original position to see if there’s a difference.

Like keeping the fire closer to the FB opening to see how it works.

I also use a charcoal basket.

My next smoker project is the charcoal basket. To me, that is the only other "mod" that I think would be truly useful for me with my OKJ. I just haven't made the true effort to find some expanded steel to make the thing yet. I think that for overall appeal I might like to make cooking grates from some flattened expanded steel. It would just make my rig look more high end. Looks can matter right?

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky