30# Propane tank firebox addition to Smoke Vault

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Next step done....gawd I hate working with wood...rather burn it!! :emoji_angry:
1682107260704.jpeg

Now I have to open the vent hole up on the SM. I have two more of the pipe flanges like is on the tank that I will mount one outside and one inside like a sammich to run the flex-pipe. :emoji_thinking: ..now I wanna sammich....later folks. 🥪

Cut the hole today and added the flanges and pipe...so pretty much ready to go when I get the chance. The flex pipe is a little too big for the flanges so I might have to make a spacer of some sort if it leaks bad.

1682366022184.jpeg

1682366044969.jpeg

1682366066983.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice set up.....Will the flex line hold up to the heat?

Jim

I hope so....in post #18 you can see I had a piece of the flex-pipe on the exhaust flange and it didnt faze it. Of course it wasnt clamped on and transferring heat anywhere either. The specs state its good for up to 482°F. At the fires hottest the flange was hitting around 380° max. I'm also using a 4' piece of pipe that isnt expanded so that may help. In theory I'm thinking that the highest heat will be going out the stack when getting a good fire and coals started...then once it settles down I can let it go to the SM.

I hope so....in post #18 you can see I had a piece of the flex-pipe on the exhaust flange and it didnt faze it. Of course it wasnt clamped on and transferring heat anywhere either. The specs state its good for up to 482°F. At the fires hottest the flange was hitting around 380° max. I'm also using a 4' piece of pipe that isnt expanded so that may help. In theory I'm thinking that the highest heat will be going out the stack when getting a good fire and coals started...then once it settles down I can let it go to the SM.
Cool. OK so im figuring out your set up now....The "L" shaped exhaust...You'll have it open (away from smoker) while fire is getting started then close ( divert to smoker) when at temp and clean smoke?

Jim

Reactions: LhornR
Cool. OK so im figuring out your set up now....The "L" shaped exhaust...You'll have it open (away from smoker) while fire is getting started then close ( divert to smoker) when at temp and clean smoke?

Jim

Yep...with the damper open almost all the heat and smoke goes out the top. When its closed it all goes to the smoker pipe. At first someone suggested putting a damper on both exits...which I figured I may have to...but it actually does very well with just the one. The "L" shape is all cut off where it meets the tank...neither piece of square tube extends into the tank. With the baffle inside the tank..the flow is forced up and around it to the right and then flows to the left under the stack then to the exhaust port if the stack damper is closed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky