Racks of ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markousley

Original poster
Dec 8, 2021
I have been tasked with feeding some rather large people, like myself for Christmas Eve. Seems like everyone wants ribs! I have a PitBoss pro series and have done 3 racks at once. I have a rib rack that can hold 5 racks and can get 3 of the rack holders in my smoker.

How many racks of ribs should I try to do in my smoker at once?

I have been tasked with feeding some rather large people, like myself for Christmas Eve. Seems like everyone wants ribs! I have a PitBoss pro series and have done 3 racks at once. I have a rib rack that can hold 5 racks and can get 3 of the rack holders in my smoker.

How many racks of ribs should I try to do in my smoker at once?

As many as you can fit.

I would smoke them a day or 2 or 3 a head of time, 2 different cooks if ya have to, then just reheat when your ready to eat them.

If you plan on 1/2 rack per person or so you will only need 10 racks. If it is a late lunch you could do them earlier and wrap and hold at 160 in the house oven then just touch them up on the gas grill before serving or served from the wrap. Just know that as a general rook if you fill your smoker full it will take a bit more time

If you don't want to mess up, do like smokerjim smokerjim suggested and then you know they are done.

If it were me, I would do them early with a foil wrap method and hold till lunch.....and then probably glaze (smoker at 275 or gasser) some right before....

If you plan on 1/2 rack per person or so you will only need 10 racks. If it is a late lunch you could do them earlier and wrap and hold at 160 in the house oven then just touch them up on the gas grill before serving or served from the wrap. Just know that as a general rook if you fill your smoker full it will take a bit more time

If you don't want to mess up, do like smokerjim smokerjim suggested and then you know they are done.

If it were me, I would do them early with a foil wrap method and hold till lunch.....and then probably glaze (smoker at 275 or gasser) some right before....

I second this idea. 10 racks should be plenty unless people are ravenous at your party. Plus, I'm sure you will have other food. You won't need that many ribs to fill those bellies. I can make 3 rack of baby backs for 5 people and only use one of those racks.

G

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky