QUICK QUESTION

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SouthernSmoked

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
South Central Mississippi
How long should I leave 13 leg quarters in brine solution???
They've been in for 1 hr 20 minutes. Sizes a little mixed,
from a 10# bulk bag.

1 gallon water
1 cup salt
3/4 cup brown sugar

Thanks in advance. I will smoke tomorrow afternoon when this rain clears out.

I would give them another hour drain rinse paper towel dry and in the fridge,that will help dry the skin so it crisp
Richie

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks Richie
I'll take them out of the brine in 30 min.,
pat dry, then put on some dry rub. Should
I cover container or leave the lid off? And
what would the difference be after they are
smoked?
And most of all, Thank you for your service!
Mike

I think 2 is good in this case . If he had less salt , then maybe longer .

Also it depends on what type of salt he's using ... each type measures different as far as amount goes ... Myself I go overnight (with a whole chicken) 10-12 hrs ... But I only use 3/4 cup of Kosher salt ...

Also it depends on what type of salt he's using ... each type measures different as far as amount goes ... Myself I go overnight (with a whole chicken) 10-12 hrs ... But I only use 3/4 cup of Koasher salt ...

And depends on his taste, salt wise.

Agree . I did a whole chicken in Pop's brine , held over night and smoked today . I've also gone up to 10 days for cured bird . I make the sugar equal to or more than the salt .

Another factor for a shorter time would be... The quarter is cut from the carcass... leaving much more open meat to be in direct contact with the brine... In turn soaking brine in faster... not having to soak through the skin if it was still whole ...

Sorry for not getting back to you last night.I would say let them sit open it will dry better.Looking forward to the finished pics.
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky