Jerky cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I put my first batch of jerky into the marinade and as I feared I forgot to add the cure #1. I had left it out to taste and adjust the marinade prior to adding th cure. I mixed the meat and marinade up really well before it occured to me. The first batch of meat weighed 14.5 lbs and the liquid 4 lbs for a total of 18.5 lbs. Based on the normal recommendation of 1t per 5 lbs I took 3.5t and added to about 2 cups of the marinade and added 1 cup of water to distribute well. I added that to the pot of meat and marinade and mixed the hell out of it. I plan on hand mixing it at least 3 more times over the next 8 hours. QUESTION - Am I safe by mixing it in this manner? I don't want to have pieces with higher concentrations of the cure. I will be gifting plenty of this and don't want to make someone sick. Hate to pitch it but would before making someone sick. My brain is telling me it should reach equilibrium.

My question is this- what did you use for a marinade? Any acidic components will act on the cure, some more quickly than others...
I had to modify my tasso recipe years ago because of this....did not realize Worcestershire sauce was so acidic. I noticed that it would bubble when I added the cure....no beuno....
Now, I salt and cure first, then coat with my marinade and season, then cook.....

My question is this- what did you use for a marinade? Any acidic components will act on the cure, some more quickly than others...
I had to modify my tasso recipe years ago because of this....did not realize Worcestershire sauce was so acidic. I noticed that it would bubble when I added the cure....no beuno....
Now, I salt and cure first, then coat with my marinade and season, then cook.....
1000005790.jpg

If your marinade IS acidic, and you are dead set on using it, then I would rinse the meat and start over. Use only the salt and cure#1 with a very minimal amount of water to facilitate even spread of the cure mixture. For thinly sliced jerky, 24 hours is long enough. Then do a 30 minute soak in your marinade (vac seal if you can) and proceed to drying...

If your marinade IS acidic, and you are dead set on using it, then I would rinse the meat and start over. Use only the salt and cure#1 with a very minimal amount of water to facilitate even spread of the cure mixture. For thinly sliced jerky, 24 hours is long enough. Then do a 30 minute soak in your marinade (vac seal if you can) and proceed to drying...
Posted above. I have used this marinade and method quite a few times. The worry this time was how I mixed it in after the fact. My concern is less that the cure won't be effective and more concern I could have too much on individual pieces of meat due to how I added it

The chili garlic sauce is probably acidic as well as the fish sauce.....
Aside from concerns of the acid reducing the cure action do you think my cure should reach equilibrium? Not sure I'm expressing my concern well. My concern isn't the effectiveness of the cure but rather die my method distribute it well enough throughout.

I mention the acid acting on the cure because this is happening prior to uptake into the meat. Certainly some of the NO2 gas produced would diffuse into the meat, but some will be lost; especially if the container is not sealed.

I mention the acid acting on the cure because this is happening prior to uptake into the meat. Certainly some of the NO2 gas produced would diffuse into the meat, but some will be lost; especially if the container is not sealed.
Definitely interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Thanks a ton for rh quick answers. Had my anxiety red lining lol.

Did you notice this error right away?
Yes. Noticed right away and then added it following the process I outlined above. I remember thinking 10 times yesterday when I made th marinade to not forget the cure. Lol lot of good that did.

Yes. Noticed right away and then added it following the process I outlined above. I remember thinking 10 times yesterday when I made th marinade to not forget the cure. Lol lot of good that did.
You're fine Jeff. Roll with it. You probably didn't need that much water. But, that was a good precaution.

Well this is only my opinion but if you used whole cuts of meat you will b fine. As a added precaution just set your temps higher so your not in the danger zone for very long which means more checking for it to be done before you think it should be done.
I know lots of people who make jerky in their oven and have never heard of cure and they are still drinking beers and eating jerky

Reactions: jcam222
Yeah I believe you will be fine. Just give it long enough for the cure to travel (1/4 inch every 24 hours) from when you mixed in the cure.
You may want to do a fry test to see if leaving it in all those ingredients for longer is making it saltier.
As long as you give it time to cure through you should be safe :D

I think you are fine Jeff because you are going to thermally process the meat in the dehydrator anyway.
In the future if using an acidic marinade for jerky, which most are, barrow a page from the Polish on meat curing and mix up your salt and cure first then apply that to the meat, mix very well put into a non metallic bowl and just place a towel over it and refrigerate for 24 hours. The cure will be completed and you can then add whatever marinade you like then smoke or dehydrate.

I've been using lemon extract and lemon juice for poultry cures for years and have never had any issues . I'm not saying it isn't a concern , I've just haven't had an issue .
Sounds like good jerky Jeff . I know the concern for gifting stuff , but you know what you're doing .

I've been using lemon extract and lemon juice for poultry cures for years and have never had any issues . I'm not saying it isn't a concern , I've just haven't had an issue .
Sounds like good jerky Jeff . I know the concern for gifting stuff , but you know what you're doing .
I'll likely eat a half pound as a tester anyway lol

Thanks again for all the replies guys. For those of you still a long for the ride do you pat yours dry before dehydrating? I never do as I feel like my marinade on the surface dries into a nice glaze almost. I know it extends the drying time but that has been my reasoning. Thoughts?

Reactions: tallbm and KBFlyer
Thanks again for all the replies guys. For those of you still a long for the ride do you pat yours dry before dehydrating? I never do as I feel like my marinade on the surface dries into a nice glaze almost. I know it extends the drying time but that has been my reasoning. Thoughts?
No I never pat dry as like you I think it adds to the final product, why would I what to make it disappear ?

Reactions: tallbm and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky