Quick question on Cryovac Brisket sell by date

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I have a Costco brisket with a sell by day of 5.28 in the refer. Not sure I will be able to smoke it by then…need a few days out past that At least. Am i good to go on this? Sell by isn’t expires, but I looked and cant find the answer im looking for Exactly. Many thanks!

Reactions: JLinza
i good to go on this?
Yes , as long as it's still in the original vac pack and held at the proper temp between 36 and 40 degrees . Think wet aging . The original package should be somewhat tight to the meat , and not a lot of liquid in the package .
That is a sell by date , so you have some time if conditions are right . Package intact , storage temps in the correct range .

Yes , as long as it's still in the original vac pack and held at the proper temp between 36 and 40 degrees . Think wet aging . The original package should be somewhat tight to the meat , and not a lot of liquid in the package .
That is a sell by date , so you have some time if conditions are right . Package intact , storage temps in the correct range .
Many thanks! Very helpful! our extra refer where it sitting runs between 36-37. Vac bag is tight, no Compromise there. Should get is smoked in a few days As we are out of smoked brisket and that needs fixin ASAP.

Reactions: JLinza and chopsaw
Many thanks for the responses on this. I am feeling WAY better about it. Oddly this has not happened to me before…or at least I dont remember it. Likely the latter.

Let it age. Once you open the vac pack, cut off the green stuff. Smoke like it never happened, and enjoy the best flavor ever. Sell by dates are a marketing deal for most stuff. We can all tell when milk is curdled. We can all see the green fuzz on cheese. Aged dry meat is better than fresh cut by a 10000%. If you don't know, then you don't know. A meat forum should know.

When boxed beef is still in the cases the only reference is the pack date (aka kill date) which is on the box itself. The walk-in cooler can hold beef for quite some time, and when meat is stocked into the meat case, they print a label and it has a 'use-by' or 'sell-by' date based on the average persons refrigerator which is around 40°, and it's opened throughout the day.

For wet aging, it's best to choose a brisket from the box so you know how much age it already has on it. 30 days from the pack date common for wet aging, and some go longer.

Here's a couple examples of what Thirdeye is talking about . These are sold by the case , but some are stocked on the shelf so singles can be bought .
20210306_092846.jpg
This is a beef knuckle .
20230125_093438.jpg
So to revisit your question , you're fine going a couple days past .

Here's a couple examples of what Thirdeye is talking about . These are sold by the case , but some are stocked on the shelf so singles can be bought .
I could get behind that market's labeling procedure.

Once upon a time I went to Sam's at 7:30 am to pickup a brisket, and the meat cutter used to cut meat at a high end restaurant, so he was very familiar with wet aging. He bent my ear for at least 30 minutes, and let me choose from 5 or 6 briskets. He was so distracted when I finally selected one, that the label is marked 'hamburger', but the price for the brisket was correct. 🤣
nf7xfMn.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
I could get behind that market's labeling procedure.
I also use it to track pricing . It all cycles , and the dates can be a reference to price drops coming . I go every week just to track pricing real time . Complaining and opinions don't reflect what's really going on .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky