Wet Age Brisket in Cryovac

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DonP

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
In this video (at 4:29) he decribes wet aging and suggests 30-40 days. Digging a little more, the countdown would be from the kill date. As I'm buying Choice Briskets from Costco I doubt the butcher would know the kill date. The only date on the packaging is the Sell By Date.

I am thinking getting my briskets this week and let them wet age for ~2 weeks. They'll be going on the cooker Friday evening June 9.

Any thoughts or input regarding wet aging Costco Choice Brisket?

Any thoughts or input regarding wet aging Costco Choice Brisket?
I don't have input on Costco . I buy mine at GFS .
Here's a common tag from them . You can see the length of time from pack to sell by .
Most briskets I buy from them are around 35 or 40 days from pack to sell by .
Not sure if that tells you anything or not .
1684939166214.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have input on Costco . I buy mine at GFS .
Here's a common tag from them . You can see the length of time from pack to sell by .
Most briskets I buy from them are around 35 or 40 days from pack to sell by .
Not sure if that tells you anything or not .
Interesting. The 8lb brisket I got a few weeks ago was labeled as a Flat and only had a Sell by date. The 13 and 15lb Briskets I got yesterday are labeled as Whole and have both the packing date (5/23/23) and sell by date (5/30/23). I did notice they are floppy and not stiff as described in the video.

In any case, I got what they had an am looking forward to cooking these larger Whole briskets.

Reactions: chopsaw
That's because the flat was already processed... meaning they took it out of the cryovaced pack and trimmed it down to just the flat... Therefor no packed date...

I have seen this video, and I d8d wonder about the 30 day age and if I could do this with one from Costco. I am going to speak to them about a suckling pig, this is something I will be asking as well. Not sire if it would work differently with Costco over there. The same company so hopefully not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky