Questions for my new build...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

artisanbeard

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Mountain City, GA.
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and just introduced myself on the roll call. I am in the planning stages of a new (and my first) build and wanted to get your opinions/advice...so thank you in advance for your help!

I have been reading up on making a side fire box, and I have no doubt I could do it, but I wanted to go a little further...I want the best of both worlds. I'll explain.

My brother is getting me a 100-gallon propane tank, and we are going have it laying horizontally. I like the ease of control that you get with a pellet grill/smoker and will be getting a pellet grill assembly and cold smoker from Smoke Daddy Inc.. I'd like to put those on the left side of the tank together like it is in many of the photos on the Smoke Daddy site. I will be putting an exhaust pipe and damper on the right side of the tank. Sounds pretty straightforward so far, right? Here is where it gets a little "different"...but I don't think it would be hard. I would like to also put on the right side of the tank a traditional fire box...so in the event I run out of pellets, or if I just want to go old school with "real wood", I can. I'm thinking I would need to put an exhaust pipe on both ends, and just close off one or the other depending on which fuel I'm using. Also, I am not planning on putting this on a trailer...just having a permanent home in my backyard.

Here is my questions: Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Are there any suggestions on how to achieve this or improve this? Has anyone else done something similar?

Again, thank you all for your assistance and advice!

-Kyle (ArtisanBeard)

Should work just fine as long as like you mentioned, you have a way of dampering off the exhaust thats not being used at the time.  Might need a damper or slide door of some sorts on the firebox opening to the chamber as well. 

Should work just fine as long as like you mentioned, you have a way of dampering off the exhaust thats not being used at the time.  Might need a damper or slide door of some sorts on the firebox opening to the chamber as well. 
Good call on the slide door to the firebox...I didn't think of that. Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky