question: smoking chuck for tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
I've been wanting to smoke a chuck roast for awhile now to be used in either tacos or sandwiches. I'm really wanting to try tacos first though. Seems like the basic idea is to smoke until about 170, then pan with some broth until an itt of 200-205. Does that sound about right? I was also thinking using oak for the smoke.

Now my question is, what kind of rub will compliment/enhance the tacos with the smoked beef? Would a Mexican influenced rub be what is needed? If so, are there any store brands that are ready made, or a simple recipe I can use? Heck, could I just sprinkle on a packet of McCormick taco seasoning over the meat since that's what we use in our ground beef tacos anyways? I also saw some Stubbs beef rub at the store....but it has coffee in it....not sure if that would ruin the Mexican flavors or not. Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

I like the idea of McCormick's since I don't have any Mexican rub recipes on file. You may want to PM Chili and see what he's got.

Chris

I like the Weber Carne Asada to put on beef and pork when I grill it so that would be my first choice

Reactions: SlickRockStones
If you use the store bought packets , get the low sodium . You can mix up your own with stuff you probably have on hand.

I second the vote for Weber’s Carne Asada. Nice and spicy for beef with a touch of lime and readily available in stores.

Here is a rub I am trying today on chicken.
Making smoked pulled chicken for tacos.
Can't say for sure how good or balanced but it is a good starting point. Also there is no salt since I dry brine most meats.

3 tsp. chili powder
2 1/2 tsp. paprika
2 1/4 tsp. cumin
1 1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Dash cayenne pepper

Seems like no one carries the weber carne asada seasoning that I can pick up in store. I see Kroger has Lawrys brand Carne asada seasoning though. You think that would be the same?

From scratch.
Make a bunch of deep slits in the chuck.
Rub with plenty of salt, cumin, granulated garlic and onion, and a little cayenne or Ancho chile powder.
Then marinate in lime or lemon juice for 2-12 hours.

Lawry's and Weber's Carne Asada seasoning are both good to go.
As is the taco seasoning.

If I was throwing a rub together.
2T Salt
1T each Cumin, Garlic, Onion and Chile powder

Last edited:
Malcom and I are from the same area (well, I'm a yankee transplant), but I'm sure any of his recipes are solid!

ok....I don't know if this is a silly question or not....but lots of times in recipes for mexican dishes I see "chili powder" listed as an ingredient. Now my understanding is that most chili powder is a mixture of spices, not just pure ground dried chili. Sometimes I'll see a recipe specifically state "ancho chili powder", which I understand to be just ground dry chili peppers (some of which I have on hand!). But it gets really confusing in recipes when it says Chili powder if they mean stuff clearly labeled as Chili Powder, or if they mean some sort of ground chili like Ancho powder.

Chili Powder is indeed a mixture of spices, predominantly Cayenne, Cumin, Garlic powder, Paprika and Oregano.
Sometimes a high quality brand of Chili powder will incorporate multiple types of chile peppers, Cayenne, Ancho and Arbol being the most common, and other spices.

Powders labeled as Ancho should be 100% ground Ancho, or as labeled, e.g. Cayenne or Arbol and etc.

Recipes calling for Chili powder mean Chili powder, substitute a pure chile powder and your going to get a MUCH spicier dish.

I've been wanting to smoke a chuck roast for awhile now to be used in either tacos or sandwiches. I'm really wanting to try tacos first though. Seems like the basic idea is to smoke until about 170, then pan with some broth until an itt of 200-205. Does that sound about right? I was also thinking using oak for the smoke.

Now my question is, what kind of rub will compliment/enhance the tacos with the smoked beef? Would a Mexican influenced rub be what is needed? If so, are there any store brands that are ready made, or a simple recipe I can use? Heck, could I just sprinkle on a packet of McCormick taco seasoning over the meat since that's what we use in our ground beef tacos anyways? I also saw some Stubbs beef rub at the store....but it has coffee in it....not sure if that would ruin the Mexican flavors or not. Appreciate any insight. Thanks!
I found a garlic siracha blend at Sam’s Club that is really good. I’m pretty sure the brand is Tone’s. I bet that would be a good place to start.

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky