Question about smoked pulled pork.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

megabrisket

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 19, 2016
So the Wife and I loved pulled pork. I've been using a recipe by the youtube channel OldManCooking where we make it in the slow cooker using a pork loin. I'm curious if pork loin can be used to make pulled pork on the smoker? This might sound like a silly question but I can never get it fall apart tender on smoking it as with the slow cooker. It still turns out great, below is 

a picture of one I smoked. It sliced and was very tender and juicy but it wasn't pulled pork tender if that makes any sense. I've read where other cuts of pork are better for pulled pork but pork loin is just so darn cheap right now. So is it the cut of meat when it comes to smoked pulled pork or is there a different way of cooking it?

I don't think your going to be able to pull a loin, they are just way too lean to take to that high a temp.

Al

Any cut of Pork cooked long enough will breakdown and be able to be pulled. Loin is just frequently more dry than other cuts because it is very lean and low in collagen...JJ

I think I'm going to have to agree with Al. You could cook it to pull temp, but you'd probably have dry meat. I've been wrong on many occasions, though....
Dan

Thanks for the responses guys. So what would "pull temp" be? I'm been looking online and found that pork shoulder might be the best option for pulled pork? Got any links to a pulled pork recipe on here?

Pulled pork as I know it is made with pork butt or picnic shoulder (both very cheap). It's the amount of fat/connective tissue/collagen throughout the meat rendering that makes it fall apart when the internal temp gets to about 200. Loin is leaner and wouldn't "pull" like those other cuts, but would be moist from collagen rendering. I think when you are cooking it in crock pot the moisture is staying on surface of the loin instead of evaporating like in your smoker & you are getting the internal rendering as well to make it more crumbly/loose than when it comes out of smoker. If you brine the loin you will keep more surface moisture in the smoker, but won't come out like traditional pulled pork. Try with the pork butt or picnic shoulder smoked to internal temp of 200-205. When you pull it remove extra fat not rendered.

Loin looks awesome!

NC chiming in here. 'ya know... Pulled Pork capitol. Fist fights and name calling over the humble bbq sandwich, and some people still insist you have to take sides.

Either East Carolina or West Carolina.

West Carolina is what most folks think of when they think of Pulled Pork. A butt that has been smoked and shredded and topped with a bit of "red sauce". The butt is perfect for this, as stated above because of the high fat content.

East Carolina traditionally was whole hog. Thats right, the entire hog. So you have/had a lot of different cuts of meat in the q. Some juicy succuIent bits, and some tough dry bits. I honestly think this is the reason that the vinegar sauce became popular. Vinegar has the ability to tenderize the toughest cuts, and lend a unique flavor. 

Also, traditional East BBQ wasn't really "pulled". It was chopped. It was chopped because of the tough bits. So your using the Loin isnt really that far off. You would just have to use vinegar sauce as a mop, then chop it, and give it a few more shots of vinegar.

Theres still several places around that serve it this way. I still prefer West Carolina BBQ.

Thanks for the responses guys. So what would "pull temp" be? I'm been looking online and found that pork shoulder might be the best option for pulled pork? Got any links to a pulled pork recipe on here?
Pulled Pork is usually done with a Shoulder or a Boston Butt, and taken to around 200° or 205°:

Like This:

Pulled Boston Pork Butt  

Most people take Pork Loin to between 145° and 150°.

I know what you mea though. Around here Butts are usually $3.50 or more, but Pork Loins are always under $2.

Bear

Last edited:
Pulled Pork is usually done with a Shoulder or a Boston Butt, and taken to around 200° or 205°:

Like This:
Pulled Boston Pork Butt 

Most people take Pork Loin to between 145° and 150°.

I know what you mea though. Around here Butts are usually $3.50 or more, but Pork Loins are always under $2.

Bear

Wow, butts here are usually around a dollar. Loins cost over 2 normally. Maybe in the high desert not enough people are stupid enough to stand outside and smoke a butt. I missed the memo?

Thanks for all the responses guys!! Ya around here loins are usually cheaper. We wait for them to go on sale for about $1.50lb. I'll look into a shoulder/Butt next time they go on sale too. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky