Question about seasoning time of a brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skich

Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
I was planning to smoke a brisket for the first time on Friday night. I seasoned the meat the night before and about an hour before time to smoke I started up my masterbuilt to get it to temp. 30 min later I find out the element is bad and it won't heat up past 73 degrees. I had to wait till this morning to get in touch with masterbuilt and I know have the replacement part on the way. My question is now that the meat is seasoned and sitting in the fridge will it be ok to smoke probably Friday when I recieve the new element and get it installed? I don't want to ruin a whole packer brisket because I left the seasoning on too long before cooking. Can anyone advise?

Personally I wouldn't leave a raw piece of meat in the fridge for a week if it wasn't at least cryovaced seasoned or not. Do you have anything else to smoke with like a kettle maybe. If not I would cook it slow in a cast iron casserole at around 300* with a little liquid in the bottom. Slow cooker would work also.

If you have a gas grill, you could run out, get some pellets and a tube smoker.....??

I've used my Amaz'n tube on gas grills before and it worked pretty well.

Personally I wouldn't leave a raw piece of meat in the fridge for a week if it wasn't at least cryovaced seasoned or not.
I wouldn't if it were ground meat, that's only good for a day or 2.  But with whole muscle meat, I'd feel safe wrapping it in saran wrap and letting it sit until Friday with no issues at all.  Think about dry aged beef, it isn't wrapped with any barrier most of the time, and if it is, it's usually cheese cloth.

I wouldn't if it were ground meat, that's only good for a day or 2.  But with whole muscle meat, I'd feel safe wrapping it in saran wrap and letting it sit until Friday with no issues at all.  Think about dry aged beef, it isn't wrapped with any barrier most of the time, and if it is, it's usually cheese cloth.
true. Also there is the smell test on Friday

true. Also there is the smell test on Friday
laugh1.gif
  I'm laughing because you are correct!

I've opened cryopacked meats that were less than an hour old after purchase that made the house stink for a week.

As long as he hasn't let the brisket get to room temp, etc, all should be well.  But, like we all say, the nose knows...

You should be fine in the back of the bottom shelf, cold and away from the door. The seasoning will only get better as in 7 days the salt will act like a dry brine and spice flavors will penetrate a bit further. I regularly put a heavy coat of Montreal Steak Seasoning on beef roasts, wrap in cheese cloth and give a 7 day rest in the refer...JJ 

If I were to decide to cook it in the oven. Can I still slow cook at 225 for 13 to 14 hours and it turn out ok? I know it won't have the smoke flavor but do you think it will still have some sort of bark? Just wondering? Thanks again.

If I were to decide to cook it in the oven. Can I still slow cook at 225 for 13 to 14 hours and it turn out ok? I know it won't have the smoke flavor but do you think it will still have some sort of bark? Just wondering? Thanks again.
Yes you can cook it in the oven at 225.

Your smoker is just an oven that has a wood chip pan.

Al

I ended up cooking in the oven at 225 for about 14 hours. I mixed up some beef broth and liquid and put in pan below the brisket to keep it most in the oven as it cooked. I also injected the brisket with broth to help it not dry out. The brisket was moist and delicious at the end of the day! I did miss not having the smokey flavor (liquid smoke did nothing really) but all in all it was good and I didn't let an expensive piece of meat go bad. I say success! Thanks for all the advice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky