Question about my Maverick

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ffmedic56

Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
i recently picked up a Maverick remote thermometer. I have used it 3 times once on BBB, once on fatties and just yesterday on some sausage. It has been flawless until today. I am smoking a whole chicken and the "food" temp is reading anywhere from 135-150 and the bird is fresh out of the fridge. I removed the probe from the meat and stuck it in the snow, it still reads in the 120's. I changed the batteries and it did not change. Any ideas??

Shut it off and see if it resets.  Try it in some boiling water then should read about 212*.  I've had mine for years with no problems.  If you have any problems call Maverick directly.  I've always been impressed with their customer service

In boiling water the temp varies from 237-255, room temp out of the box reads 194, cold atp water reads 184. Called Maverick left a message.

icon_cool.gif

Yea if you called maverick they will get back with you. They are pretty good about it to. I know Ron knew the girls name I want to say Karen or thersa  but anyway they will probably replace it for you.

I agree---Give them a call---I think they're in New Jersey.

They were Great to me.

Must be a bad probe, or you got some strange snow where you live!

BTW: Did you switch probe wires from left to right to see if it's the wire or the unit?

Bear

rbranster is right about the water thing, they are very easily ruined by submerging them in water. I clean mine with rubbing alcohol.

Did you get mosture in your probe at all? Or I should say did you submerge the probe and wire in water at all? 

May not be probe.   Could be the first digit (1) is stuck on the display.  If the one digit were off wouldn't the readings make sense?

Last edited:
Is it only the one probe giveing ya problems? If so unplug it and insert tthe other probe and see if you get good readings. This way you will at least know  if it's the probe or the unit itself.

Yup, Al & Ross sure got that right---Do not submerse!

I got a box of about 250 of those little things they use to prep you before a needle.

They are individually wrapped. 

I wring out a scrub pad, and clean the probes & wires after I smoke something, and then again before I smoke something.

Then just before I insert my meat probe, I wipe it with one of those little wipes. Then give it a few seconds to air dry, and then stick it!

That might all be overkill, but it's not hard work.

Bear

I have been luck with my ET73 - I scrub it with an SOS pad and rinse and dry it . Had it for 2 years guess I have been lucky

Is it only the one probe giveing ya problems? If so unplug it and insert tthe other probe and see if you get good readings. This way you will at least know  if it's the probe or the unit itself.

Yea, what Dan Said....

Swap probes and see if it changes.

Maverick is awesome for warranty

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky