Pulled Pork for a Party.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's some great looking pork! I have the same smoker and did the same mods including the same convection plate and that OK Joe puts out some really good bbq. Nice job!!

did you notice that it takes more fire in the FB to keep a temp with the baffle/tuning plates put in? I ordered mine and hoping it gets delivered before the weekend?

I guess it could be that it just takes a bit longer to get to temp.

Wicked looking PP Joe!!! Your guests are in for a real treat.

Point for sure
Chris

Oh, Happy Birthday in advance( Just in case I miss the real date).

No, once the plates get hot, they supply the heat to cook the meat and the holes allow the smoke to go over the meat. Once you are up to temp, you just keep adding wood to stay in your heat zone so to speak.

Reactions: xray
That's some great looking pork! I have the same smoker and did the same mods including the same convection plate and that OK Joe puts out some really good bbq. Nice job!!

Thanks! It sure does, it’s a shame I don’t use it as much as I should!

Wicked looking PP Joe!!! Your guests are in for a real treat.

Point for sure
Chris

Oh, Happy Birthday in advance( Just in case I miss the real date).

Thanks Chris! I’m sure they will like it since my family doesn’t do a lot of bbq for family gatherings. So it will be different and hopefully good.

Thanks again for the bday wishes!

Looks Outstanding, Joe!!
Nice Bark!!
Nice Job, for Sure!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear! Can’t wait to chow down in 3 weeks!! Thanks for the like!

Looks great, how long do you cook your cooler corn? First and only time I seen someone do that I was like duh! I was reading an article on sweet corn and it was discussing cooking fresh corn. It said to cook fresh corn shorter then older corn and we cooked some fresh corn 3 minutes compared to 8 minutes and it was great that made me think some subpar corn in the past may just of been over cooked.

Looks great, how long do you cook your cooler corn? First and only time I seen someone do that I was like duh! I was reading an article on sweet corn and it was discussing cooking fresh corn. It said to cook fresh corn shorter then older corn and we cooked some fresh corn 3 minutes compared to 8 minutes and it was great that made me think some subpar corn in the past may just of been over cooked.

Thanks B!!

Cooler corn is for larger crowds where you cook it once, keep it warm and let guests serve themselves....If it’s just the wife and I, I will add corn to boiling water, let it return to a boil, take it off the heat and wait 5 minutes.....or we will just eat grilled corn on the cob either with butter or make elote.

Now for the cooler corn...What I do is peel the corn and cut them in half. I find it’s much more manageable to eat smaller pieces, especially at a party with a beer in one hand and a plate in the other.

Place the peeled corn in a CLEAN cooler and add boiling or near boiling water. I just boil one stockpot of water. Close the cooler and the corn is ready in 20-30 minutes....but it keeps for hours and it’s much easier to feed more people that way instead of heating up the kitchen by cooking all the corn on the stove.

The water cools off pretty quickly once it hits the corn but the cooler keeps it warm, so don’t worry about it overcooking.

Have butter and salt on the side.

Reactions: drdon
Awesome job...Like!

I wish I would have had this post handy a couple of weeks ago. I had to use my brother in laws leaky, never seals right OKJ. My review is here
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...n-oklahoma-joe-longhorn-offset-smoker.289546/

I looked closely at your mods (awesome job!) and read about them further up. I thought pretty much the same but will not do them on a smoker I use maybe once or twice per year...that I do not own.

After your mods, can you control the fire box better and the smoke chamber?

How did the peach habanero bbq sauce turn out xray xray ?

Hey Sammy!

I haven’t made it yet. The party is at the end of August (31st). I will make it a few days prior. I may have to use supermarket peaches if there’s nothing fresh or local.

I’m looking forward to trying it and will give you a shoutout when I do.

Awesome job...Like!

I wish I would have had this post handy a couple of weeks ago. I had to use my brother in laws leaky, never seals right OKJ. My review is here
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...n-oklahoma-joe-longhorn-offset-smoker.289546/

I looked closely at your mods (awesome job!) and read about them further up. I thought pretty much the same but will not do them on a smoker I use maybe once or twice per year...that I do not own.

After your mods, can you control the fire box better and the smoke chamber?

Thanks Eddie and for the like!

After making the mods the cook chamber does not leak. When I bought the smoker, I put a flashlight inside the smoker and sealed up any areas where light escaped. It took a couple of light taps with a rubber mallet to get the doors to fit flush....plus the gasket and latches make the CC airtight. I get a small amount of smoke that escapes from the grease drain but it doesn’t bother me.

As for the firebox, I put RTV sealant where the firebox halves bolt together and where the FB bolts to the cook chamber....

But my biggest issue is the fire snuffs out when I close the firebox lid and the damper door on the side....so I can’t really say how well these mods work since I leave the side door open, and I also prop the FB lid until the wood is burning good and burns off the heavy smoke. (Maybe they work too good and restrict airflow?)

The biggest improvement is the baffle plate that evens out the side to side temperatures. On shorter smokes, the constant temperature allows you to keep the lid closed without having to open frequently to rotate food. Also the plate helps with heat retention when opening the lid. The heavy guage steel retains the heat well.

Since this is not your smoker and I don’t know how you feel sinking money into something you don’t own. I would try foiling the extra charcoal grates and making a deflector with them as seen in this video:

This didn’t work for me. I even tried a water pan with this method and still struggled with even temps....Sorry to say but the $90 baffle plate did the trick. I wish something cheaper worked.

As for the fire, I find keeping and feeding a smaller fire works well for me. Once you find that groove, I just add wood every 15-20 minutes.

Reactions: uncle eddie
xray, I am planning to do P. P. for 30 people on an RV trip in Sept. just as you are. My question is at what temp and how long in the S. V. ?
Like you my birthday present is to cook food for friends and family.

xray, I am planning to do P. P. for 30 people on an RV trip in Sept. just as you are. My question is at what temp and how long in the S. V. ?
Like you my birthday present is to cook food for friends and family.

Since the pork is already cooked, vacuum sealed and frozen. I am just reheating it back to serving temperature.

Here’s my plan:

Place frozen PP in Sous Vide at 145F about 3 hours before the party.

Once it comes time to eat, I will dump pork into crockpots at the keep warm setting.

I saved the defatted juices and froze them in ice cube trays. I will nuke the frozen cubes and mix in with the pulled pork.

Serving bbq sauce on the side.

If the pork looks too dry, I will mix in some soflaquers finishing sauce but I’m thinking that I won’t have to because the SV will not overcook the pork.

I’m trying to keep the pork as simple as possible since there will be lots of different palates at the party. This way it’s not drowning in bbq sauce or vinegar based sauce...people can dress their pulled pork as they see fit.

I’m also gonna have coleslaw, pickles and chopped raw onions for optional toppings. Sauces will include: peach habanero sauce, Carolina mustard sauce and regular bbq sauce.

xray xray - Thanks for the video!
...we are headed back there for Thanksgiving so I will probably try a few mods out. I might even spring for the baffle plates because he is a good brother in law. How long to install the baffle plates? Easy? Hard?

BTW - the experts that produced the videos I watched all had similar mods to what you had and all had to leave the fire-box door open an inch or so for the fire to be right...so I think your mods are sot-on!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky