Pulled Pork for a Party.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
xray xray - Thanks for the video!
...we are headed back there for Thanksgiving so I will probably try a few mods out. I might even spring for the baffle plates because he is a good brother in law. How long to install the baffle plates? Easy? Hard?

BTW - the experts that produced the videos I watched all had similar mods to what you had and all had to leave the fire-box door open an inch or so for the fire to be right...so I think your mods are sot-on!

The baffle plate install is super easy. The plate comes in two pieces plus the angle brackets. The brackets bolt to the plate and the plate butts up and bolts to the wall of the cook chamber.

When I get home from vacation tomorrow, I can take closer pictures of the mods and detail the process.

Reactions: uncle eddie
I just got my baffle plates in yesterday. Plan on putting them in this week. Can I just connect both plates and then sit it in there or do I need to bolt to the firebox too?

If I remember correctly, if you bolt the plate together outside the smoker, it may not go in or is extremely cumbersome.

I just have the angled piece that is closet to the firebox bolted in so it sits level. I take my OKJ inside after smoking, so moving it knocks the plate around.

As for the second part of the baffle plate (the one furthest from the FB, I just line it up and butt it next to the other piece. This way I could move it around easily when cleaning out the cook chamber.

Reactions: banderson7474
uncle eddie uncle eddie
banderson7474 banderson7474

Here are some pictures of the baffle plate. I threw these together hastily since I’ve only been back for a day and now headed up to Boston butt it really is simple.

Install the angle brackets on the plate outside of the smoker and then position the first part of the plate in the smoker, make sure it’s straight and level before marking your holes.
E67B81C8-642E-4F2B-83DF-8C2FE44036E6.jpeg
AE79F3DD-EA67-4D6F-BC74-EF616C5D6628.jpeg

The plate is bolted to the outside of the smoker.

03FDD7D4-7466-4BF4-8FEF-1EBA50F200AC.jpeg

I tightened the bolts until the plate was level. This way grease runs towards the drain and not the firebox. Mine has a small gap, less than 1/4”. I emailed bbqsmokermods when I installed my plate and they said it was perfectly fine.

Here is the second piece of the plate. I elected not to bolt this together. You can see the holes are here to bolt them together with the supplied hardware. I just butt the second piece of the plate next to the secured piece. This way i could remove it for easier cleaning.

474739B6-31E5-4C2B-A797-7B4B71A2F2B8.jpeg

Cooking racks are back in position.
9DE3AD29-94E4-4375-9672-835653B66B90.jpeg

If you are going to seal the cook chamber lid with a gasket and/or latches. May I suggest adding a cable service entrance (SE) connector to run your probes. This way you’re not ruining that brand new gasket with a crease from the remote thermometer wires.

All you have to do is drill a hole to the corresponding size of the SE connector. The connector is secured with a washer on the inside of the smoker. Make sure you buy one that is big enough to support passing the probes through...especially if you have angled probes like the inkbird ones. I actually drilled out the rubber grommet a little bigger to make the probes easier to pass through.
5D8155D7-D089-4D21-8FDF-9648F4F29DEA.jpeg

14084D1D-1A0E-4CF8-B1EE-75CA1CA18B6F.jpeg

I hope this helps.

Great thanks for that. For some reason I thought you didn't have to drill any holes but it looks like if I want to secure the angle plates then I will have to.

I haven't even opened the box up yet but I intend to this afternoon.

02E43B03-EEF3-4D91-AFDE-94C049D1E206.png EBCDB17E-6579-485C-81F4-B621316DD11D.jpeg Nice job on the OJH!
I did a lot of the same as you on the mods for mine, opted out on the baffle plate, for three 1/8 steel plates that I shift around, depending on the cook. I also run a FireBoard thermometer setup with the blower. I set the blower up as a Venturi effect at the stack. For the most part, it bought me more time in between refuel times, and it also made it a bit more stable on temps.

Sammybones Sammybones , I made your peach habanero sauce. It was delicious. Only thing is, I used 3 habs and had no heat, I’m gonna up them to 6-8 next time I make it. Thanks again!
E8D73D23-C6E1-4843-809F-940B489679C5.jpeg

The party was a success, everyone loved the food and have a ton of leftovers...guess I’m eating pulled pork sandwiches all week.

Didn’t get a chance to get a plated shot picture. Things got hectic once the party started. Only pic I got was the beans.
C8D8AD5E-7ADE-4FED-9788-85D646584926.jpeg

Yeah, I use six I believe. This baked beans look awesome! They appear to be thick, I don’t like them runny.

Reactions: xray
eray that was some mighty good lookin butts there. like, happy birthday.....
dannylang

Thanks danny, it was a good time!

Yeah, I use six I believe. This baked beans look awesome! They appear to be thick, I don’t like them runny.

Thanks sammy, yeah I’ll definitely use more habs next time. And the beans are a bit thicker, they were smoked for 4 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky