Pulled Ham from Bone In Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I owe a huge thank you to Pops6927, Woodcutter, Disco, and Bearcarver! This definitely ranks up there with one of the best things I've tried.
I woke the ham up from its two hour nap and began pulling. While it was sleeping, I reserved the juices and stuck them on my deck because the temps were in the 20's. After pulling it, the fat had collected at the top of the juices, so it was easily scooped out. I placed some of the juices back in the ham and vacuum packed it for Thursday. It's under lock and key in my fridge now.
This was easy to make and tastes awesome! Enjoy the final pics!

The sandwich is a toasted Amaroso roll that I drizzled a homemade honey mustard sauce on. I mixed equal parts honey and mustard sauce. Here's a ling to the mustard sauce recipe. It's an oldie but a goodie.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/50948/mustard-sauce

All packed up for Thanksgiving.

And my end to a long but fulfilling day.

Thanks for looking!

Looks Great, Neighbor!!!

I love the "Under lock & key in my fridge now" !!!

Reminds me of years ago my Brother's paperboy was stealing beer out of his basement fridge.

He put a chain & lock around it, and he forgot the combination.

LOL--He had to break into his own fridge for a beer.
cheers.gif
biggrin.gif

I gotta make some of that again soon!!!

Nice Job!!!

Bear

Looks Great, Neighbor!!!

I love the "Under lock & key in my fridge now" !!!
Reminds me of years ago my Brother's paperboy was stealing beer out of his basement fridge.
He put a chain & lock around it, and he forgot the combination.
LOL--He had to break into his own fridge for a beer.:cheers: :biggrin:

I gotta make some of that again soon!!!
Nice Job!!!

Bear

Why thank you neighbor!

I have a combination pad lock on my liquor cabinet. I keep that combo with me at all times!

Why thank you neighbor!

I have a combination pad lock on my liquor cabinet. I keep that combo with me at all times!
LOL---My brother said he kept the combination in his head, but he must have tipped his head & it fell out.
biggrin.gif

Bear

Cant believe that I missed this thread, great looking pulled ham there! Really makes me want to get a couple shoulders and make some buckboard bacon!

LOL---My brother said he kept the combination in his head, but he must have tipped his head & it fell out.:biggrin:

Bear

Hahahahaha! I actually have mine stored in my phone. It's that important!

Cant believe that I missed this thread, great looking pulled ham there! Really makes me want to get a couple shoulders and make some buckboard bacon!

Thanks Dirtsailor! Buckboard bacon is next on my list to try. I'm already thinking about when I can make more ham!

I skipped over your thread a few times because I didn't think the Q-views were coming until Thanksgiving. Your pulled ham looks great! Your right about it being easy and so good.

thumb1%20copy.gif

I skipped over your thread a few times because I didn't think the Q-views were coming until Thanksgiving. Your pulled ham looks great! Your right about it being easy and so good.

thumb1%20copy.gif

Thank you Woodcutter! I was going to post it on Thanksgiving, but I knew I'd be too busy, so I did it when it finished.

It was a huge success Woodcutter! I actually had two people who don't like smoke foods say that was one of the best things they ever had, and another person pull me aside to say I should open a restaurant and sell it! No thank you!!
I had it with some scrambled eggs yesterday morning for breakfast, and thought that was great too. Only problem, I barely have any left because everyone asked to take some of it home.
All in all, I will most definitely be doing this again in the very near future. In fact, I have a party of 70 I'm cooking for in February and this just made the menu.
Thank you Woodcutter for your original post and detail on pulled ham. If it weren't for that, I never would have tried it this thanksgiving!

Congrats Flyboys!!!

You did GREAT !!

I knew you'd love it, because it's gotta be right up there as one of the best tasting things I ever smoked !!

Now you gotta be making a lot more!

Bear

2 weeks in the brine if I can find buckets I could do this for Christmas at the GF's parents, Her dad's idea of ham is a log looking thing that he said is a boneless ham. I told her that I remember butchering pigs and there is no such thing as a boneless ham coming off of it.

If I may ask a couple questions here, how did you reheat it? and cold a person get two 8 pounders or so in one of those buckets, I would need more brine to do that I guess or would I be good as long as they were submerged ?

Some good old French's Yellow mustard and i am good.

Thank you for posting this.

Congrats Flyboys!!!

You did GREAT !!

I knew you'd love it, because it's gotta be right up there as one of the best tasting things I ever smoked !!

Now you gotta be making a lot more!

Bear

Thanks Bear! You were absolutely right! And thank you for your help through this and making me look good! How did your sons turn out?

2 weeks in the brine if I can find buckets I could do this for Christmas at the GF's parents, Her dad's idea of ham is a log looking thing that he said is a boneless ham. I told her that I remember butchering pigs and there is no such thing as a boneless ham coming off of it.

If I may ask a couple questions here, how did you reheat it? and cold a person get two 8 pounders or so in one of those buckets, I would need more brine to do that I guess or would I be good as long as they were submerged ?

Some good old French's Yellow mustard and i am good.

Thank you for posting this.

Thanks Dave! Try going to your supermarket or a warehouse store like BJ's, Costco, or Sams Club. Ask their bakery for a bucket their frosting comes in or the deli for a pickle bucket. They will usually put them aside for you for free.

This is how I reheated it. I reserved the juices and cooled them down while I was pulling it. I removed the fat and added the juices back to the pulled meat. I then vacuum packed it flat after it cooled and let it sit in the fridge. I used a couple of bags. About an hour before we ate, I brought a large pot of water to a simmer and dropped one bag at a time in. I used my Igrill thermometer and folded the meat in the bag over the temp probe. Once it was between 160 and 165, I took it out of the bag and put it in the container we were using for dinner. It worked perfectly and the ham was still juicy and tender.

I was wondering the same thing about fitting two in. I believe you can, and as long as they are submerged, they would probably be fine. I was going to put them in with the fat pads up against each other. I'll let one of the pros answer that.

With guys like Woodcutter, Disco, and Bearcarver to watch over you, you will be fine. Post or PM me with any questions and I will be more than happy to help.

Thanks Bear! You were absolutely right! And thank you for your help through this and making me look good! How did your sons turn out?
He didn't do the Pulled Ham yet. He smoked a nice 14 pound Turkey, which was Great.

I got to play with his new Puppy (Diesel), and Smokey's brothers were climbing around on me (crazy cats!!).

It was all fun & the Vittles were Great.

I'll post some pics in the next day or two.

Bear

He didn't do the Pulled Ham yet. He smoked a nice 14 pound Turkey, which was Great.

I got to play with his new Puppy (Diesel), and Smokey's brothers were climbing around on me (crazy cats!!).

It was all fun & the Vittles were Great.

I'll post some pics in the next day or two.

Bear

I'll be looking forward to the pics! I'm glad you guys had a good Thanksgiving. My wife and I were just talking about puppies, but my dog and cat would get too jealous! Diesel is a great name!

I did a 14lber also, spatchcocked on the UDS, but I didn't get any pics. Sorry. It was a crazy day around here and when it got down to crunch time, it got really crazy! It did turn out really good though.

I'll be looking forward to the pics! I'm glad you guys had a good Thanksgiving. My wife and I were just talking about puppies, but my dog and cat would get too jealous! Diesel is a great name!

I did a 14lber also, spatchcocked on the UDS, but I didn't get any pics. Sorry. It was a crazy day around here and when it got down to crunch time, it got really crazy! It did turn out really good though.
He wanted a tough name for his Chocolate Lab, so that was it. He's all muscle already---They take him for 3 mile walks at the park, at least 3 times a week.

It was easy for me to take pics, because I didn't do any of the work.
biggrin.gif
  I only got the final pics & the table spread for the 4 of us.

Bear

He wanted a tough name for his Chocolate Lab, so that was it. He's all muscle already---They take him for 3 mile walks at the park, at least 3 times a week.

Bear
I love that name, unintimidating, and a diesel never stops running solid power. My Lab would run Killdeers in the field all day, and when he finally tired the killdeers would dive-bomb him and he'd change direction and be off again.

After awhile they will look like an angus bull, just rippling with muscles.

Great dogs. Yep, Diesel great name.

It was easy for me to take pics, because I didn't do any of the work.:biggrin:   I only got the final pics & the table spread for the 4 of us.

Bear

Wow, I don't even think my dog gets 3 miles in a month, let alone a few times a week! I bet he is all muscle. I have a pit bull that just runs around in the back yard and plays tug of war all the time. She was all muscle, but she's starting to get a little older now. She's a great family dog despite the breeds reputation. I had a lab growing up, she was a great dog too.
I'm glad you got to sit back and enjoy your thanksgiving. I'll be watching for pics of the spread! I hope I pass on the love of bbqing to one of my kids as well!

It was a huge success Woodcutter! I actually had two people who don't like smoke foods say that was one of the best things they ever had, and another person pull me aside to say I should open a restaurant and sell it! No thank you!!
I had it with some scrambled eggs yesterday morning for breakfast, and thought that was great too. Only problem, I barely have any left because everyone asked to take some of it home.
All in all, I will most definitely be doing this again in the very near future. In fact, I have a party of 70 I'm cooking for in February and this just made the menu.
Thank you Woodcutter for your original post and detail on pulled ham. If it weren't for that, I never would have tried it this thanksgiving!
Fat is the secret ingredient. (Don't tell anyone)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky