Puerco Pibil and Carne Asada Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Here I go again with the Puerco Pibil, round two and taking a whole new direction at tackling it.

Went with an enameled roasting pan lined with banana leaves and into the oven vs smoker.
I figured it didn't really make a difference since wrapped in the leaves it didn't take on a good smokiness.
But I guess if it's not spending 12 hours in an airtight pit full of hot rocks and hardwood coals, it's just not going to get that infusion of smokey flavor.

So this time I went with a more traditional approach without smoking it first.
Chunks of boneless pork butt slow braising in classic Puerco Pibil sauce.
And the results were really good this time, very, very moist and succulent, you can see that it is spoon tender in the video clip.
The flavors were great, pretty tasty stuff, even my picky eaters agreed.
Could have been much spicier if I was cooking for myself and others who like it spicy hot. The dish is traditionally very spicy.
So next time I'm gonna try three Habanero chiles.

This dish is a work in progress for me, I'll get it nailed down and be knocking some socks off people.

The Menu
Puerco Pibil
Carne Asada
Frijoles Estilo Rancho
Arroz Mexicana
Guacamole
Pico de Gallo

Puerco Pibil
6lbs of boneless Butt cut into fist sized chunks
1.5C Sour Orange juice*

(*To mimic Sour Oranges for this or other Mexican recipes such as Carnitas or Carne asada, just mix equal parts Grapefruit juice, Orange juice, Lime juice and Vinegar.)

1.5C White or AC vinegar
1/2C Lemon juice, fresh
3T of El Yucateco Habanero salsa or 3-6 fresh Habanero chiles*

(*Traditionally this is supposed to be a very spicy dish, but it is easily adapted.
Fresh chiles can vary in strength, the bottled hot sauce is a more stable heat source and easily adjustable according to your tolerances.
)

1 large Red onion, sliced
3 Bay leaves, fresh
10 cloves garlic
4T salt
3/4C Achiote powder
2T Pepper, ground
1.5T Cumin, ground
1.5t Allspice, ground
3/4t Cloves, ground
Banana leaves

Preheat oven to 325°.

If using whole spices, grind your spices (except Bay leaves) into fine powder before blending into the other ingredients.

In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients except the pork, Red onion, Bay leaves and Banana leaves.
Blend till mix is smooth.
Place pork in a large bowl and pour the mixture over the chunks of pork and mix to cover.

My large 18" enameled roasting pan works best for me, as I can fit all the pork in one layer for even cooking in the sauce.
But an 8qt 12" (deep) or 14", or larger (16") Dutch Oven works really well too.
A large casserole dish should work too.

Lay two pieces long pieces of twine down, then layer the Banana leaves, fill with pork and sauce and top with the 3 Bay leaves and Red onions.
Fold leaves over to cover and then tie it to seal it up.
If you don't have twine save one leaf to lay over the top and tuck down around the edges.

Cover with foil or lid and into the oven.
Cook for four hours.

v4vd909.jpg

oX3tpM4.jpg

NSEHG01.jpg

faAssR7.jpg

MX4QfFU.jpg

Carne Asada
5.5lbs of Skirt steak marinating in a spicier version of my Carne Asada marinade.
Chile's Carne Asada Marinade

z3y3qPv.jpg

Let marinate for at least 6 hours.
10-12 hours is better.

c5JZWaC.jpg

Grill steak over a very hot fire and get some good char on it.
Cook medium rare.

p1UbRhc.jpg

Slice thin strips across the grain.
Make slices with knife held at a 45° angle.

22nGebZ.jpg

Pico de Gallo
Freshly made pico de gallo!
Tomato, white and red onion, jalapeno, red/yellow bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt, vinegar and lime/lemon juices.
Best marinated overnight.

lV4vn7V.jpg

Guacamole
Freshly made guacamole
Avocado, tomato, onion, red/yellow bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, salt.

bry7OzG.jpg

Frijoles
Ranch Style Beans / Frijoles Estilo Rancho

xsOLBuK.jpg

Arroz Mexicana
Arroz Mexicana aka Mexican Rice

3UEmSEr.jpg

Tortillas de maiz, Queso Fresco, Guacamole, Cebolla, Cilantro, Lima, Various Habanero Salsas

k1r0A60.jpg

Money Shots

NiFLwu9.jpg

P8WJlhW.jpg

gVzCKUF.jpg

Last edited:
Killed it again!
Thanks Derek.
This Puerco Pibil is a dish I'm determined to keep beating on till I've it down.
Dang Chili. Another awesome meal. I'm waiting on confirmation for my ticket to Mobile.
Thanks man, appreciate it.
Don't fly into Mobile, too expensive, try Gulfport/Biloxi.
That looks out of this world. Gotta add that sauce to my list now!
Thank you, Mexican is a specialty of mine.
I'm still working this one into my repertoire of recipes, a work in progress.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Damn Chile, I've seen you turn out some great looking food but this is at the top of the list. Excellent job, great detail posting, and a well deserved ride on the carousel. Congrats sir!! I recently posted that reading some of the threads here inspires me to keep pushing to make the next meal better than the last one. This is a perfect example of that statement!!

Inspired once again by Chile,
Robert

Damn Chile, I've seen you turn out some great looking food but this is at the top of the list. Excellent job, great detail posting, and a well deserved ride on the carousel. Congrats sir!! I recently posted that reading some of the threads here inspires me to keep pushing to make the next meal better than the last one. This is a perfect example of that statement!!

Inspired once again by Chile,
Robert
Thank you Robert, really appreciate the compliments.
Just trying to put out top notch Qview, and pay back some of the inspiration and help I've received here.
:emoji_call_me::emoji_sunglasses:

Know I am late to the party but DAMN son! That all looks amazing! Anytime I want to make anything Mexican I always check out your index first! Highly impressed

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky