Chile's Carne Asada Marinades

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Carne asada is a big time favorite of mine and it is very easy to make.

Carne Asada
Several pounds of Skirt or Flank steak marinated over night in a tasty marinade of citrus juice, soy sauce, fresh garlic and various other ingredients.

The citrus, soy, salt and garlic are the basics of my carne asada marinades.
Those four alone can deliver up a delicious pile of Carne Asada.

Citrus Juice
Lime, lemon, sour orange are the most common in Mexico.
Orange and pineapple are up there too.
All fresh juices (non pasturized) are amazing natural tenderizers.
I also prefer my juices fresh with plenty of pulp if possible, and for limes and lemons let's not forget the zest.

***To mimic Sour Oranges for this or other Mexican recipes such as Carnitas or Puerco Pibil, just mix 1:1:1:1 Grapefruit, Orange, Lime juices and vinegar.***

Soy Sauce
Believe it or not but soy sauce is found in many a Mexican kitchen, and is almost always used in a carne asada marinade.
It is a key ingredient for the Umami flavor it adds to the beef.
Worcestershire is often used too.
I also often add a splash of fish sauce.

Salt
the one spice that can bring out the most flavor in almost anything.
Another natural tenderizer.
And without it, we die.

Garlic
what can one say, garlic is one of the many gifts from the Garden of Eden.
This wonderfully pungent, spicy and flavorful bulb is world renowned in cooking.

Other herbs/spices.
Don't be afraid to let your inner chemist out.
Chiles, black and white pepper, cumin, cloves, allspice, coriander seed, Mexican oregano, cilantro and more.

I don't think any two of my carne asada marinades are ever exactly the same.
Sure, I've a basic recipe written down but I usually measure by eye and freely substitute and/or add according to what I have on hand and how spicy I want it.
I just make sure I've enough to cover my meat in the bag or bowl.

Example#1
1/2C oil
Juice and zest of 4-6 large limes
1/4c Soy sauce
2 jalapenos or Serrano chiles, minced
1/2C cilantro, chopped
4T garlic, minced
2T salt
1T each ground pepper, cumin, chile powder and Mexican oregano.

Example #2
Juice and zest of 6 large limes
1/2C Sour Orange juice
1/8C Soy sauce
1/8C Worcestershire sauce
3 large Jalapenos, finely minced
1/2 med Onion, finely minced
3T Garlic, minced
1/2C Cilantro, finely chopped
2T salt,
1T each ground pepper and cumin

Example #3

1/4C Olive oil
1/2C Orange or Pineapple juice
Juice
1/4C Soy sauce
2T fish sauce
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 Jalapeno chile, minced
1/2C cilantro, chopped
2T salt
1T each pepper, cumin and Chile powder

Marinate meat over night, and then grill over VERY HIGH heat 3-5 minutes on each side. You want to get a really good sear/char for the added flavor.
Definitely want to let the meat rest for the best juiciness after slicing.
Slice at an angle, thin 1/8"-1/4" strips across the grain.

irwFx1q.jpg

Last edited:
Looks terrific Chile. Definite like. I just ran across this Carne Asada recipe and printed it recently but haven't tried it yet - and I just picked up a flank steak today. Decisions,decisions,decisions!

Carne Asada Marinade

2 limes juiced
4 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 jalapeno minced
2 tablespoons white vinegar

I will say that I like the looks of your recipes because they have soy sauce in them, which is always what my mom used in her recipe for flank steak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
The recipes sound good. Now if I could only find Flank Steak around here. I won't pay the Rib Eye prices they want for Skirt Steak!...JJ

The recipes sound good. Now if I could only find Flank Steak around here. I won't pay the Rib Eye prices they want for Skirt Steak!...JJ
Tell me about it, those both used to be inexpensive cuts... Once upon a time.
Looks terrific Chile. Definite like. I just ran across this Carne Asada recipe and printed it recently but haven't tried it yet - and I just picked up a flank steak today. Decisions,decisions,decisions!

I will say that I like the looks of your recipes because they have soy sauce in them, which is always what my mom used in her recipe for flank steak.
Growing up and living around/with Mexicans I don't think I ever saw a carne asada recipe without soy sauce.

I'll drive a couple up to you if you want Chef... been up that direction a few times. Nice country.

Tell me about it, those both used to be inexpensive cuts... Once upon a time.
Growing up and living around/with Mexicans I don't think I ever saw a carne asada recipe without soy sauce.
I wonder if the soy sauce was accidentally left out? Like you, I think soy sauce when flank steak is mentioned.

I'll drive a couple up to you if you want Chef... been up that direction a few times. Nice country.

No special trip. But if you find your headed up the beginning of any month, send a PM...JJ

This one is in the back pocket, waiting for my next trip to Costco.

Point for sure.
Chris

Trying this today John, thanks for posting the recipes. We love Mexican food but don't have a lot of experience making the authentic stuff. Happy Father's Day my friend!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky