PSA: Check you equipment!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

krj

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Just a friendly reminder to always check that your equipment is in good working order. Decided to fire up the WSM this morning, got her up and going and couldn't get the temp to come up. I wasn't going to use the fireboard drive today, but without thinking I rigged it up cuz I'm sleep deprived(2 month old) and turned it on. 15 minutes later of the fan running and it's still not climbing. Hmmmm something's funky! Grabbed a couple extra probes, and wow, would you believe that the probe I was using was only 50 degrees low? 😳

All good now setting at 270, I don't have an issue running at this temp, honestly I usually run at 275 but today I felt like running a little lower around 235. Oh well, live and learn.

Good luck today!

Screenshot_20210531-075533_FireBoard.jpg
Screenshot_20210531-075537_FireBoard.jpg

that's wierd you should post this i was checking my probes this morning, did find one that was 15 degrees off think i'll just trash that one.

Yea I'm trashing this one for sure. This cook is definitely messed up and isn't gonna turn out great. Put on a bunch of boneless chicken thighs for lunches, a slab of spares and a half a loin. Just pulled the thighs after an hour, pretty numb mouth feeling from such a heavy smoke rolling. Loin is already at 135, and ribs at 150 something. Guess I'll be done well before noon lol. Definitely won't be my best cook, but it probably won't be my worst either lmao.

Live and learn, smoke and burn.

Good thread, good advice. I will usually plug probes into the xmtr and check if they agree with ambient temp. Not the best test but I know if there is an odd man out.

Good thread, good advice. I will usually plug probes into the xmtr and check if they agree with ambient temp. Not the best test but I know if there is an odd man out.

Yea I plugged the bad probe in to see how it compared to my ambient according to my phone and it was within 5 so I was okay sure. But apparently in this case that probe won't register over 215ish.

Good info here, thanks. I remember new Babies, we raised 3 all between 25 and 30 now. My MIL came to stay with us for 6 weeks with the first. Then made a permanent move in with us for number 2. That woman took a ton of pressure off Bev and I. I really miss her...JJ

Reactions: bill1
Well I forgot to look at the time, but I'm pretty sure my ribs and loin we done after like 2 hours. I didn't end up feeding any of it to the family because that heavy smoke was just off putting. Let the GF taste bit of chicken so I could give her an example of what I was having a hard time explaining with words. I wasn't gonna waste $35 of meat, so I cut, bagged and froze everything this morning and I'll eat on it for lunches for a few weeks.

Great advice, I tend to just plug in the probes & if they are reading what the outside temp is, I just go with it. But I know that is the lazy way & I need to check them in boiling water & ice water. Thanks for waking me up! But I do have to add that I very seldom use external probes, I usually know about how long my cook will take & start checking the temp with a Thermapen, when I think I’m getting close.
Al

Most of these are measuring resistance so connections are critical. Bright and shiny is the key. If you can't observe the female receptacles, I suggest using plugs when not in service to keep them clean and dry.

PSA: Check your equipment!

"PSA"??---HMMMM, When I see a warning like that, at My Age, it's a Whole Different Probe I'm worried about !!

Bear

• Haha
Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky