Proper Trussing of a Whole Bird in a 1:25 video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zombiekitty

Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
Michigan
After working in professional kitchens for years, I'm a firm believer in both trussing and brining whole chickens.  Below is a youtube link to a 1:25 video of Chef Brian Polcyn showing how to properly truss a whole chicken.  Chef Polcyn teaches charcuterie for a local culinary program here in Michigan. His textbook, "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing" is a great resource. For the brine, I use 1 gallon of water, 3/4 c Kosher salt and 1 cup of sugar.  I brine prior to trussing, so all parts make contact with the brine and I like to cut the kitchen twine off the bird once the bird is about 3/4 of the way cooked, so the skin-on-skin areas are not rubbery.  This brine recipe is very basic, but if you are smoking the bird, it does the job great, while allowing the smoke flavors to be the prominent flavor.  Some folks like to add 1/2 cup of bourbon, 1 tbl of black or cayenne pepper and various other spices.  I save the bourbon for a glass and the pepper for the potato salad, but to each their own.  

Anyone else prefer to truss? 

I'm with Case. I used to do all the whole chickens beer can style. Then I spatchcocked one & never went back. Cooks quicker & much more evenly. IMHO.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky