Propane Tank Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeybo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Some time in 2020 my neighbor gave me this trailer with propane tank on it and I decided to make a smoker out of it. About a dozen cutoff discs from Harbor Freight and a scrap piece of steel for a lip and here we are.
Oh. The hinges are galvanized A-hinges from Lowes that I degalvinized with muriatic acid.

Before:

Screenshot-20210213-113221.png

After:

Screenshot-20210213-113100.png

Looks good.
Would look better with some smoke and meat.
Exhaust?
Let me see if I can find a pic,

Ribs in the front foil,
Ox tails in the rear foil
That was a beer can chicken that fell over so it turned into a beer basted chicken,
All good none the less

Screenshot-20210213-140755.png

Screenshot-20210213-140734.png

Last edited:
Oh,
The inside rails were cut from an old roll away mattress frame I found out there,
And the racks I actually had to buy the 1" square tubing and the heavy duty expanded metal from the surplus section of the steel yard,
After it was complete I ended up ordering a river country thermometer off Amazon and installing it,
Not that I really use it anyway because I mainly look at the fire it produces

Reactions: campfirestu
Curious as to smoke stack location?
There isn't a stack.
It has three holes for whatever propane purposes on top and that's where the smoke escapes from.
No firebox either.
I make small fires in the inside corner of the tank and it's been working fine.
The neighbor gave me a piece of fluted steel that looks like a cone that we think could work as a stack I just haven't bothered welding it on because the smoker is working fine for my purposes as it stands

Reactions: SmokinEdge
There isn't a stack.
It has three holes for whatever propane purposes on top and that's where the smoke escapes from.
No firebox either.
I make small fires in the inside corner of the tank and it's been working fine.
The neighbor gave me a piece of fluted steel that looks like a cone that we think could work as a stack I just haven't bothered welding it on because the smoker is working fine for my purposes as it stands
Without ventilation, the food has to be very Smokey. You want thin blue smoke to cook. This comes from a clean burning fire. You cannot have a clean burning fire in a enclosed space sans intake and exhaust.
Do you leave the door open during the cook?

Without ventilation, the food has to be very Smokey. You want thin blue smoke to cook. This comes from a clean burning fire. You cannot have a clean burning fire in a enclosed space sans intake and exhaust.
Do you leave the door open during the cook?
Since the fire is inside the cooking chamber I have to monitor it and adjust/prop the door with a 3/4" nib of plywood often. It allows the fire to breathe and not only smolder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky