Smoked Cayenne Pepper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crippledcracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2016
Mount Pleasant SC
I've been cold smoking cayenne peppers for quite a while so I figured I'd finally share. I use this stuff on just about everything and have to say I may have a slight addiction to it. The smoker is a display model chargriller from Lowes I got for nothing due to slight damage. Cut up a propane tank for a fire box and added some longer legs to make it a little offset. It might not be the prettiest, but it works perfect for cold smoking or regular cooking. I smoke butts and ribs on it quite often as well.
20231015_091320.jpg
20231015_091310.jpg
This tray will go for 12 hours no problem.
20231015_091314.jpg
Smoked cayenne powder and crushed red pepper.
20231015_091143.jpg
The black caps are a 12 hour smoke and the red caps are an 8 hour smoke. Both over Hickory pellets.
20231015_091118.jpg
I prefer the 12 hour over the 8 hour smoke. At first I thought the Hickory would be overpowering but thats not the case. This stuff is wonderful! 20231015_091115.jpg

So how do you decide to use the 12 vs the 8 what kind of food?
I pretty much just make the 12 hour now, but I use it on everything. I use it at breakfast on my grits, eggs and sausage since I can never find hot breakfast sausage unless I make my own. It's great in soups, stews, rice dishes, especially red rice, pizza, wings, etc. I even put a little on my salad when I'm trying to eat somewhat healthy.

Really nice . Cold smoking and oven finish looks like it keeps the color red . I like that . I was doing mine start to finish in the smoker , and the color gets to dark for what I want .
Thanks for sharing , I'll try your method when I need more .

Really nice . Cold smoking and oven finish looks like it keeps the color red . I like that . I was doing mine start to finish in the smoker , and the color gets to dark for what I want .
Thanks for sharing , I'll try your method when I need more .
I made a few batches at higher temps in the oven, but 125 to 135 seems to be the sweet spot to keep the color where you want it. I use my inkbird temp probe to make sure the temp stays in the proper temp range. Once the oven temp gets around 100 degrees on warm and hold, I turn it off and it carries over to around 130 ish degrees. The temp will hold pretty steady for hours, but every now and then you have to turn it on for a few seconds to get the temp back up. I will say it takes me a couple days to get them dry in the oven but the results are well worth the wait. When I did them in the dehydrator, it seemed the smoke flavor would dissipate so I decided to use the oven.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yup . The oven gets overlooked for this stuff . I have a brisket point on the smoker that will hit the oven about 2 hours before supper time .

I ran my MES 30 for a week straight drying peppers . Pull them as they finished . I have 3 gallon bags full .
Love the finished color on yours .

Yup . The oven gets overlooked for this stuff . I have a brisket point on the smoker that will hit the oven about 2 hours before supper time .

I ran my MES 30 for a week straight drying peppers . Pull them as they finished . I have 3 gallon bags full .
Love the finished color on yours .
Appreciate it. My first few batches came out a little darker than I liked but that's just part of the learning process. They still had good flavor, but I agree with you with the color.

Reactions: JLeonard
I did racks held at 145 for 24 hours with a full tray of pellets constantly for chipotle style any ripened chilis. These are Chocolate Habaneros Same as I do with cured eye of round for dried beef.

Attachments

• 486.jpg
    486.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 15
I did racks held at 145 for 24 hours with a full tray of pellets constantly for chipotle style any ripened chilis. These are Chocolate Habaneros Same as I do with cured eye of round for dried beef.
Those look great! I've never tried the chocolate habaneros but I have done regular habaneros, charleston hots, and carolina cayenne. What's the flavor like with the chocolate Habs?

I've been cold smoking cayenne peppers for quite a while so I figured I'd finally share. I use this stuff on just about everything and have to say I may have a slight addiction to it. The smoker is a display model chargriller from Lowes I got for nothing due to slight damage. Cut up a propane tank for a fire box and added some longer legs to make it a little offset. It might not be the prettiest, but it works perfect for cold smoking or regular cooking. I smoke butts and ribs on it quite often as well.View attachment 678550View attachment 678551This tray will go for 12 hours no problem.View attachment 678552Smoked cayenne powder and crushed red pepper.View attachment 678553The black caps are a 12 hour smoke and the red caps are an 8 hour smoke. Both over Hickory pellets.View attachment 678554I prefer the 12 hour over the 8 hour smoke. At first I thought the Hickory would be overpowering but thats not the case. This stuff is wonderful!View attachment 678555
Oh that is awesome!

Reactions: crippledcracker
crippledcracker crippledcracker like your avatar.
Your peppers look awesome.
Thanks amigo. I've had the same plant for 3 years that keeps on coming back. It's in a 15 gallon planter I move into the garage during winter. There is no heat but I have a grow tent with lights that keeps it on life support until it warms up. It still amazes me how many peppers I get off this one plant. I figured it needed a name since it puts out so much so I named her the Slut👍

Reactions: dr k
Those look great! I've never tried the chocolate habaneros but I have done regular habaneros, charleston hots, and carolina cayenne. What's the flavor like with the chocolate Habs?
Chocolate Habaneros are hotter than the orange but have a natural earthy light cumin flavor.

Reactions: crippledcracker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky