Processing Week 2022...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh- forgot to tell y'all this.....
So my Uncle that is recently retired shot two deer this season. He has a lot of stew meat,more than he needs. My cousin ground up some stew meat thru a 10mm plate on processing day and my Uncle said,"I'm doing that when I get home with some of my stew meat!" Well, he found a source for both pork and beef fat at a butcher shop local to him... $0.10/#!!!! :emoji_astonished:

That's 10 times less than what I was paying! This will make processing day expenses better!!

Last edited:
When you use a trailer and a pickup to transport the sausages you made to your smokehouse, 1) you made a lot of sausages, 2) you have a big smokehouse, 3) you really like sausages. indaswamp indaswamp I’ve really enjoyed following this story. Keep posting.

When you use a trailer and a pickup to transport the sausages you made to your smokehouse, 1) you made a lot of sausages, 2) you have a big smokehouse, 3) you really like sausages. indaswamp indaswamp I’ve really enjoyed following this story. Keep posting.
Well Sven, thought I do love sausages, this sausage is not all mine. It will be split up between 7-8 people...all members of our deer club. 26 deer and 10 wild hogs total for the season. A good year.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I am on total awe, the magnitude of this project is incomprehensible, and you do it at your house. Seems you need a kitchen building closer to the smokehouse.

This is the largest volume of product we have ever done. As we were going along Saturday, I was keeping a mental note kind of tallying up totals....I thought we were around 800#. When we put pen to paper, the total was 954#.....
My body is feeling it today, lemme tell ya!!! LOL!!!

Last edited:
few more pics...

~1kilo meat balls ready to be slammed into the stuffer...
IMG_20220212_084322.jpg

the double door fridge we used for the meat totes...
IMG_20220213_153831_01.jpg

The freezer we chilled the meat and fat for the grinder...
IMG_20220213_153835_01.jpg

Some of the days product...
IMG_20220213_152638_11.jpg

indaswamp indaswamp I am told our local mountains are swarming with destructive wild hogs and they want to open an open season on hunting them. I hike up there all the time and I have never seen one in the wild anywhere. I've never seen them down in our valley, either. Turkeys are everywhere and so are deer but I've never seen a hog. I don't know much about them but they must be difficult to hunt, is my assumption. My question is how to they taste compared to domestic hogs. Do they have a gamey taste? Are they more fat or lean? Are they more prone to parasites? Thanks.

indaswamp indaswamp I am told our local mountains are swarming with destructive wild hogs and they want to open an open season on hunting them. I hike up there all the time and I have never seen one in the wild anywhere. I've never seen them down in our valley, either.
You may not have seen the hogs, but if they are there, you will see evidence of it from their droppings and rooting up the dirt. May even find wallows. Hogs for the most part are nocturnal but will move about during the day some.

Turkeys are everywhere and so are deer but I've never seen a hog. I don't know much about them but they must be difficult to hunt, is my assumption.
Not very good eyesight, but very very good sense of smell. You can stalk a group of hogs with the wind in your favor and get close enough for a shot. from a stand is incidental unless you have a corn feeder out.

My question is how to they taste compared to domestic hogs. Do they have a gamey taste? Are they more fat or lean? Are they more prone to parasites? Thanks.
Taste is subjective, but it all depends on what the hog has been eating. fall and early spring are best when they are feeding on mast crops and new green shoots and tubers. If you get one that has been eating carrion or a lot of grubs, the meat can be off. I check the fat on every hog I process by frying a small piece in a pan. If it is musty-you will know it. As far as gamey, no. They are more 'porky' if that makes sense...like the old world pork. The meat is very dark like a mangalista. They are more lean. Half or more of the fat of a domestic hog. Yes, they are prone to parasites. Care must be taken when handling. I have posted a lot of info on Trichnae parasites and wild hog meat. Follow the USDA pasteurization tables for killing trich in pork meat. I usually lengthen the time X3 or 4...just for insurance on even temp. thru out the smokehouse when I smoke wild hog sausages.

Here is the official product break down:

80# wild/domestic hog sage breakfast sausage
200# wild/domestic hog Cajun smoke saussge
35# deer/pork Sage Breakfast sausage
165# deer/beef burger grind
65# deer/wild hog fresh sausage
15# 100% deer chili grind
160# Deer/pork grind
14# 100% Deer grind

For my buddy:
82# deer/wild hog Cajun smoke sausage
38# deer/wild hog Jalapeno and Cheese smoke sausage
100# deer/wild hog grind in 1# meat bags

734#
+220#

Reactions: BC Buck
For me:
100# venison/beef grind
10# wild/domestic hog sage breakfast sausage
10# deer/ pork sage breakfast sausage
15# deer wild hog Cajun fresh sausage
14# 100% deer grind
plus
45# wild/domestic hog Cajun smoke sausage

I put in 127# of wild hog meat for the breakfast and smoke sausage but shared it with everybody....

Reactions: Nefarious
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky