Processing Week 2022...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Add two more does to the tally. Nephew shot a big doe, and my Uncle that is a new member in the club shot a big doe as well so that's 22 deer for processing day.
14 deer is the most I ever did and was enough for me haha. I'm glad you have a number of hands to help out. It's usually just me except on stuffing day. I need someone with some strength to run my 22lb stuffer while I feed castings. Other than that it's usually just me hahaha

So...I talked to my buddy. In addition to the 4 deer he got at the turf farm in Georgia, he now has 3 wild hogs. So all in we got 26 deer and 6 wild hogs for processing day this year!

Reactions: tallbm
Gonna be a lot of work and a lot of meat

Gonna be a lot of work and a lot of meat
Yep. Add another 3 wild hogs to the tally. Buddy just called me, got 3 in the trap right now....caught last night. He is going dispatch them when he gets off work around 5pm. Then he is bringing them to me. I don't know the size or what. I'll probably gut them, pack with ice overnight and skin & quarter tomorrow morning. 37*F for the low tonight so they will be fine. I'm not even going to freeze the meat. Will keep on ice to add in the big sausage run after processing day....

How big of packages do you have meat froze in. I did 20lb packages and takes to long to defrost making me nerviest about spoilage. Next year 10lb max. Here in Missouri it can be any ware from 0 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit this time of year.

How big of packages do you have meat froze in. I did 20lb packages and takes to long to defrost making me nerviest about spoilage. Next year 10lb max. Here in Missouri it can be any ware from 0 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit this time of year.
20# packs, but only 2-3" thick so they will thaw fast. Put them in cold water Thursday night and it will be thawed by Saturday morning...and the water will be in the 30's by the time they are soft. No issues at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: BC Buck
You and your crew just keep adding on keep that up and you'll have to go to Processing Days not Day :emoji_laughing:

Make it two little hogs...about 50-60# each.
IMG_20220209_171529.jpg

After a trip to the car wash, got them field dressed, packed on ice until tomorrow.
IMG_20220209_192636.jpg

The big one that was in the trap on the camera got away. Jimmied the door somehow. They think it did not close all the way and hung up on a stick and the big sow was able to get her nose in there and pry it open.

Getting ready....45# pork trim back fat and 24# beef trim fat.
IMG_20220209_150614.jpg

Got 250# of smoke sausage seasoning mixed up, 100# fresh sausage, 75# breakfast sausage, 25# smoke jalapeno and cheese. Also bought 3 hanks of 32-35mm hog casing.

Reactions: tallbm and DougE
Make it two little hogs...about 50-60# each.
View attachment 525330
After a trip to the car wash, got them field dressed, packed on ice until tomorrow.
View attachment 525331
The big one that was in the trap on the camera got away. Jimmied the door somehow. They think it did not close all the way and hung up on a stick and the big sow was able to get her nose in there and pry it open.

I must have missed that picture. Smoking time counts as processing time?? I thought it just counted as beer drinking time :emoji_laughing:

I must have missed that picture. Smoking time counts as processing time?? I thought it just counted as beer drinking time :emoji_laughing:
My buddies friend has one of those cell phone cameras on the trap. Checks it every morning to see if there are any hogs in the trap. There were 3 in there when he looked this morning.

If smoking counts as processing....this will be a 4-5 day deal! LOL!

Oh ok I thought you meant you had posted a pic of them in the trap.
Hopefully you get some help with those smoking days that's a lot to move around for one person

Little pigs are skinned and split in half, on ice. Will debone tonight at the firehouse. Should get 30-35# total off both hogs. Fat smells very clean, as it usually is with piglets. I am going to suggest we use this meat in with the fresh sausage.

Little pigs are skinned and split in half, on ice. Will debone tonight at the firehouse. Should get 30-35# total off both hogs. Fat smells very clean, as it usually is with piglets. I am going to suggest we use this meat in with the fresh sausage.
Them little pigs are soooo tasty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky