Prime vs choice brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dveeusrod

Original poster
Feb 4, 2017
Pittsburg CA
Hey everyone. This question has probably been answered a bunch of times so please bear with me. I have cooked many briskets (choice) that my family and friends love. I have also cooked around 3 prime briskets on separate occasions. The tenderness is there but I personally feel like the choice packs so much more flavor. I cook all my briskets Texas style on a stick burner. What are your experiences? Any pro tips would be greatly appreciated.

I disagree... prime (for me and those I cook for) is much better - and more consistent. You just need to trim it well and leave enough fat in the right places. I have found that the rub makes the biggest difference in the flavor. I live in Texas and although many restaurants say they only use salt and pepper for a rub - I honestly believe that is purely out of needs for margin. Salt and pepper is much cheaper and less likely to screw up when making so many pounds of meat daily.

I have never purchased a prime brisket and have only had 3 or 4 (out of hundreds) of choice briskets that didn't turn out excellent. And those were probably when I took them off too early.

I would like to try a prime once to make my own comparison.

We very rarely get to buy a Prime brisket around here, the best I can find consistently is Angus Choice. However my Sam's had Prime briskets mixed in with the choice about 6 months ago, and I could definitely tell the difference. It they were available all the time I would go Prime every time. I even ground some of the trimmings off the Prime & made ground brisket burgers. They were to die for!!
Al

Reactions: hunter rose
Never had a prime but all the choice I've done were great. As Kelbro the ones that were not the greatest we ones I did something wrong.

Warren

Could the flavoring issue be due to the high fat content in the prime brisket? I don't think the fat takes on much flavor.

Steers are graded by cutting between the 12th and 13th rib - so the ribeye area (REA) grade is assigned to the entire steer. Briskets are the pectoral muscles in front of the ribcage and front legs. My opinion on grades of brisket varies from most folks because of this. I do believe there is some difference in grades of brisket, but not as wide a range as in the REA, so the difference between choice and prime, as far as tenderness goes, is relatively minimal. I'm more interested in flavor, so Angus or Angus-heavy steers (Angus-Hereford cross) are my preference. All that being said - I use Angus or Angus-Hereford cross, top choice grade (not really a grade you see in retail).

Costco is about the only place I find "Prime" grade briskets out here in California. The other stores I shop usually have theirs marked "Select grade or better" or "Choice grade or better." I stay away from the "Ranch Reserves" and other gradeless names because they are usually Select grade.

I only do 3-4 briskets a year, and have been happiest with Choice grade or better that felt relaxed in the vacuum pack and looked to have exceptional marbling in the point. They were probably Prime.

Reactions: tjdcorona
We regularly have 20 or so Prime whole packers to choose from at Costco (Texas). For a short time, we also could choose Wagyu from Snake River Farms, which was great when it was available, but it was just a test. Restaurant Depot has Select and Choice. I have made many, many briskets from both places, as well as Kroger Choice. The Costco Prime is consistently a great product.

Would you all season a prime brisket differently than a choice? I'm just trying to figure what i'm doing wrong.

I don't do briskets often, but the few I have done were choice and prime. After trying them both I now only smoke prime brisket or no brisket at all. I just have to wait until it shows up at Sams Club...usually around this time of year.

For seasoning I use SPG, and SPG, and a little more SPG
Smoke = Mesquite - always mesquite
I also separate the point from the flat before putting them in the smoker

Last edited:
Would you all season a prime brisket differently than a choice? I'm just trying to figure what i'm doing wrong.
You don't season it differently. Pick your best rub and put it on heavy. Trim the hard white fat between the point and flat. That fat won't render and melt away. Leave a fat cap that is about a quarter inch thick on top. Once trimmed, slather with a binder. Mustard is cheap and works fine. Your slather will have no effect on the color or flavor of the brisket. It is utilitarian... it is just there to keep your rub in place. Make sure you also rub between the layers where you trimmed away the hard fat. Smoke this at lower temps 225 - 250 fat cap up (LOL - hopefully this doesn't bring us down a rabbit hole). Smoke it until your internal temperature is 150 - 160ish. At that point you have a decision....

Some believe the smoke can no longer penetrate the meat after 150. So, you have a decision to wrap for the remainder of your cook or not wrap. Here are the pros and cons in my opinion:

Wrapping Pros:
- You preserve the color the way it is. You have to decide if this is a pro or con. If you don't wrap, it will get blacker.
- You will significantly reduce the time of your cook.
- Moisture will be retained in the wrapping, so no need for misting. If you don't wrap, you need to mist every so often (45 - 60 minutes) to keep the moisture up.

Wrapping Cons:
- You will most definitely sacrifice bark. A Texas brisket has a heavier bark and often has a rub designed to create a heavier bark. Not everyone wants this type of brisket. In the North, I have found that briskets that win KCBS competitions are much more like pot roast to a Texan. (I'm a Texan, so am biased here)

Wrap in paper or foil, it won't make that much difference if you wrap. You are talking slight nuances at that point.

Cook until it reaches an internal temp of 195 - 200. Then double wrap the whole brisket in foil. Put the wrapped brisket in a cooler to rest for a couple of hours. It will still be very hot when you take it out. Your temps will carry you to 203 - 205+ while it is in the cooler.

Cutting can make or break you. Take a big slice through the center to show off to your friends and take a picture to show all of us so we can drool. When you slice through the center this way, you have the fattier part of the brisket on the bottom and the leaner part on top. In Texas, we serve it that way. In restaurants, they split it and ask you if you want the fattier side or leaner side. The lean flat will give you the look you are wanting, but the fatty parts have more flavor. That is why we serve both together. You can also take some of the point (fatty side) and cube it, throw it in sauce and smoke in a foil pan for another hour. Those are your burnt ends. The burnt ends are best if the rub contains sugars. That is because they caramelize and create a thick sweet bark.

The big think on slicing is to make sure you are slicing perpendicular to the grain of the meat. The point and flat go different directions. If you separate, no problem. If you don't separate, like in the video below I made, and serve both together... slice perpendicular to the flat leaner side. Slicing against the grain will give you a better texture for chewing. You can see this in the video by how easy it falls apart.

You've got this!

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Hunter Rose

Nice job of explaining this and not saying my way is the best and the only way as it seems so many on here feel that way about their method. Nice post of explaining both methods and the difference in them.

Warren

Reactions: hunter rose
Thanks for clarifying the wrapping vs not. I, too, do it Texas style and wrapped for the first time yesterday (Costco, 12 lb prime). Not as much bark as I like - and not the strong smoke flavor that I favor.

I'll not wrap next time and just start it earlier.

I live in Texas, and do not wrap. I like the bark too much. They call the foil the "Texas Crutch" but I think you give up a BBQ delicacy. Just be patient... same deal with "Hot and Fast" brisket. There is a cost that you pay with the shortcut. There is a benefit, a real one, but there is a cost to weigh in as well.

Every brisket I've done in the past has been without the crutch, hunter rose. Did it this time in the interest of time - and fuel. It tastes good but doesn't have the good bark that I'm used to.

My wife's family is all from Texas so, of course, I try to stay true to the state when I do brisket. I'll hold off on my next one until it warms up, and the days are longer.

When next I visit Plano I'll drop you a line. We usually visit Austin, but I understand that there's decent 'cue in your neck of the woods, too. (grin) And it's a chance to visit some in-laws there.

I'd be surprised there are that many stick burners not wrapping briskys. I haven't tried one in over a year but I have butcher paper to use this time and one day soon, I'm going to give it another try but just waking up on my day off at 4 am isn't high on my want to list.

Every brisket I've done in the past has been without the crutch, hunter rose. Did it this time in the interest of time - and fuel. It tastes good but doesn't have the good bark that I'm used to.

My wife's family is all from Texas so, of course, I try to stay true to the state when I do brisket. I'll hold off on my next one until it warms up, and the days are longer.

When next I visit Plano I'll drop you a line. We usually visit Austin, but I understand that there's decent 'cue in your neck of the woods, too. (grin) And it's a chance to visit some in-laws there.

Most definitely... I will make a brisket!

Reactions: banderson7474
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky