Choice Brisket - Tallow inject or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DonP

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Hello SMFers,

I am going to smoke 3 Briskets for a graduation party in June.

I did a test run a couple weeks ago. The point came out great. The flat had good flavor and everyone liked it but I felt it was a little dry.

The Brisket - an 8lb Choice packer from Costco.
I wanted something bigger but it the last one. I plan to cook 12-14lbers for the party.

Fuel used was Kingsford charcoal, Apple, and Almond. I'll probably stick with this
Cooker is a Char Griller Grand Champ XD. Chamber measures 40" L X 20" D

[EDIT - I looked back at my notes]
I smoked for 5.5 hours at ~250* .

Placed in the at @220 and I went to bed for ~5 hours

Next morning - Wrapped in butcher paper after the bark set in with some tallow on the bottom. sadly, I didn't note temp. And put it back into the oven until done (checking tenderness with probe).

Then I vented it let it cool to about 185*. I wrapped it back up and threw in the faux cambro (I warmed the cooler with hot water, and had folded towels under and on top the meat). But IT was down to 120* when I removed it.

I am looking to remedy the dry flat and low serving temp.

Should I expect the larger briskets to retain more moisture in the flats?
I think I'm going rendering the trimmings, lightly salting and injecting it into the flats.

As for serving temps, I think the larger briskets should retain heat longer. But I think I should rewrap at ~195* after venting.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Before rewrapping and putting into the cooler for holding.
img_6108-jpg-jpg.jpg

Unforunately, the only pic I got of it sliced was after most of it was eaten. The middle of the flat was not as dry as the end you see here.
img_6119-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I did a test run a couple weeks ago. The point came out great. The flat had good flavor and everyone liked it but I felt it was a little dry.
Hey, another buck for my truck fund (kidding).

Read my response on another thread below with similar issue.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Hey, another buck for my truck fund (kidding).

Read my response on another thread below with similar issue.

So you don't wrap until it's done and ready to rest?
How long can you rest in an oven at 170*?

noboundaries noboundaries has you covered. Read his response in the link, it’s very well stated. Cook the flat to probe tender, not to a specific IT. Dry flats most always are under cooked.

Reactions: DonP
noboundaries noboundaries has you covered. Read his response in the link, it’s very well stated. Cook the flat to probe tender, not to a specific IT. Dry flats most always are under cooked.
I only used IT as a guide. I checked for doneness using a probe in multiple spots. The butcher paper was surprisingly tougher to pierce than I'd anticipated. I didn't do it for the test run, but next go, I will hold the whole brisket to check floppiness.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I only used IT as a guide. I checked for doneness using a probe in multiple spots. The butcher paper was surprisingly tougher to pierce than I'd anticipated. I didn't do it for the test run, but next go, I will hold the whole brisket to check floppiness.
That’s good. For the rest, I don’t let it go much below 180 IT then wrap and hold at above 140F. You can hold them between 140-170F for as much as 24hr but 12 hours is more realistic. A lot of people hold at 160F .

So you don't wrap until it's done and ready to rest?
How long can you rest in an oven at 170*?
I wrap after the stall, usually when the temp is in the 170°Fs to 180°Fs. I've wrapped with BP and HD foil. I prefer foil because it captures the juices. BP gives a slightly better bark, but not if your gonna hold it for hours. Plus, I can add a cup of Better Than Bouillon beef broth to the foil wrap. I've got a roll of BP I've used on briskets, butts, and ribs. I doubt I'll ever use what's left.

5 hours is as long as I've held a brisket in my 170°F oven, which is actually 155°F when tested. Test your oven. Set the temp on 170°F, then check the temp at each shelf portion. You might be surprised what you discover.

Plus, I can crack the door open about 1/4" and the oven will still cycle. Doing so drops the shelf temps about 10°F.

I'd have no safety or texture concerns holding it up to 12 hours if I had to. All the big restaurant guys hold 6-12 hours. It was because of one of the Texas guys saying how long he held his briskets that I tried it. My brisket life changed forever.

Reactions: SmokinEdge and DonP
I wrap after the stall, usually when the temp is in the 170°Fs to 180°Fs. I've wrapped with BP and HD foil. I prefer foil because it captures the juices. BP gives a slightly better bark, but not if your gonna hold it for hours. Plus, I can add a cup of Better Than Bouillon beef broth to the foil wrap. I've got a roll of BP I've used on briskets, butts, and ribs. I doubt I'll ever use what's left.

5 hours is as long as I've held a brisket in my 170°F oven, which is actually 155°F when tested. Test your oven. Set the temp on 170°F, then check the temp at each shelf portion. You might be surprised what you discover.

Plus, I can crack the door open about 1/4" and the oven will still cycle. Doing so drops the shelf temps about 10°F.

I'd have no safety or texture concerns holding it up to 12 hours if I had to. All the big restaurant guys hold 6-12 hours. It was because of one of the Texas guys saying how long he held his briskets that I tried it. My brisket life changed forever.

I chose butcher paper because I think it looks more authentic in my eye and presentation is part of the 'Q. Maybe I'll foil over the paper.

Do you let it vent after it's "done" and before you set it to rest?

hmm, No votes to inject tallow so far.

No votes to inject tallow so far.
Nothing wrong with injecting . Never used tallow , but have used a phosphate injection . Either store bought , or one I mixed up myself .
I generally don't inject them anymore , but you learn from trying . You won't know if it works for you if you don't try it yourself .

I like your method , but I skip the cooler hold . Never worked for me .
I use the oven to finish the cook , or to hold it if it's finished outside .
Oven finish then 45 minute rest on the counter is were it's at for me .
Here's a thread on where I have settled in . May or may not be something in there that interests you .
Shows how I hold on the counter under plastic wrap and a towel .
Post 65 and 66 Talk about the oven finish and controlling temps of both the oven and watching the internal temp of the brisket . I'm not cooking to IT , just using that to keep an eye on things .

Reactions: DonP
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky