Prime grade is no joke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thsmormonsmokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Lindon, UT
I've scoffed at people who get hung up on prime grade. I always figured it couldn't make *that* much of a difference. But my son's second birthday was a few weeks ago, and Covid screwed him out of a good party for his first birthday so I needed to make it up to him. So I decided to do a brisket. When I went to the store they only had prime grade, but it was a decent deal so I grabbed one. Previously I've only ever smoked choice or select grade because I was scared I'd screw it up and waste a bunch of money. But prime was the only option going, so I was off to the races.

Great googly moogly, prime grade makes all the difference in the world. The flat was juicier than some points from lower grade briskets. And the point??? Whoa. Among the most decadent I've had in my life. It was the best brisket I've ever done by light years, and probably top 5 best briskets I've had in my life. And on top of that it got a smoke ring that just wouldn't quit. Someone give me a mic so I can drop it.

I used the KISS dry rub (1T kosher salt, 1T garlic powder, 1T coarse ground black pepper. Smoked at ~250 in my WSM with Ridge and Kingsford blue charcoal with gamble oak from my back yard. I took it to 202, but ran out of time before I needed to get it into a cooler.

Anyway, I'm sold. Prime grade is worth the extra $$$.

Question: As you can see I didn't trim very much of the deckle out. I'm curious what others' opinions are on the subject? I think I like it better this way, but I don't have a strong opinion on it.

1618177688153.jpeg
1618177707233.jpeg

Looks excellent. I’ve had better luck with prime too. I don’t trim deckle anymore and I leave a fair amount on the outside too.

Looks awesome.. Costco here has had prime packers for less than choice for a couple of years now.. 2.69 lb.. It's a no brainer to me..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky