Post A Picture of Your COMPLETED Mini-WSM Here ! (Mini Weber Smokey Mountain, MWSM)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi c farmer no cooks yet as there is a total fire ban in melb Australia 43deg c which is bloody hot! Gotta wait a few days for the cooler weather!

Hey y'all
I got her made today! Built in an RV park with tin snips and a battery drill. I havent found the grates yet... But I got her seasoned and did some chicken for her first cook

She ain't to purdy.......

But she cooks!

I used the smokey joe grate that will ultimately be the diffuser base. The HEB marinated chicken was awesome! The wife and I have been sampling local Que here in San Antonio and the wife reckoned this chicken was better than any so far!
I still need to get a thermo, grates and bungs for the iGrill, but she lives and cooks.
Thanks Case and BD for the awesome information.
Now I need some tutorials on how to cook with it!

Reactions: dirtsailor2003
Hey y'all
I got her made today! Built in an RV park with tin snips and a battery drill. I havent found the grates yet... But I got her seasoned and did some chicken for her first cook

She ain't to purdy.......

But she cooks!

I used the smokey joe grate that will ultimately be the diffuser base. The HEB marinated chicken was awesome! The wife and I have been sampling local Que here in San Antonio and the wife reckoned this chicken was better than any so far!
I still need to get a thermo, grates and bungs for the iGrill, but she lives and cooks.
Thanks Case and BD for the awesome information.
Now I need some tutorials on how to cook with it!

Looks great Dingo! Nice cook too! If you roll past an Ace Hardware store, they usually have the grates in stock. Enjoy that mini!

So, what do you do if you want to enter a local BBQ contest and they don't allow electric smokers and that is all you have? You build a Mini!

And what do you do when you can't find a steamer pot, but you have an old ugly drum electric smoker that it "almost" the right size?

I'll tell you what you do -- yo get out your metal saw, some nuts and bolts, chain, and a grinder and you make things work!

Meet my Old Smokey Mini Joe

The old smokey electric smoker was about 15.5" diameter and a little over 24" tall. So I cut it down to 18" tall, then split it down the center. I used a ratcheting tie down thingy around the center to reform it to the right diameter, first on top to mate with Joe's lid and then on the bottom to match Joe's bottom. A row of bolts in the overlap secured it to the right position.

I couldn't find any proper expanded metal for the charcoal basket, so I'm temporarily using some 1/4" hardware cloth.

There were already some bolts on the tube from the old grates, and four of them were almost in the right position fot the cast iron skillet I was planning on using for my heat deflector. I just used two 18" long chains attached to the lower bolts and set the pan on them.

I have supports for three grates, although I only have two at this time.

I even cut some of the legs off an old $15 Harbor Freight work station to make a folding stand for my new smoker.

I had it running most of today, and had fum chairing the temp up and down, always behind the curve. But tomorrow's another day, ans I'll bet I'll be better by tomorrow night ;-)

Last edited:

Got 'er done.   Finished it yesterday, first seasoning burn today!

Thanks BD and others for all the great info.  

So, what do you do if you want to enter a local BBQ contest and they don't allow electric smokers and that is all you have? You build a Mini!

And what do you do when you can't find a steamer pot, but you have an old ugly drum electric smoker that it "almost" the right size?

I'll tell you what you do -- yo get out your metal saw, some nuts and bolts, chain, and a grinder and you make things work!

Meet my Old Smokey Mini Joe

The old smokey electric smoker was about 15.5" diameter and a little over 24" tall. So I cut it down to 18" tall, then split it down the center. I used a ratcheting tie down thingy around the center to reform it to the right diameter, first on top to mate with Joe's lid and then on the bottom to match Joe's bottom. A row of bolts in the overlap secured it to the right position.

I couldn't find any proper expanded metal for the charcoal basket, so I'm temporarily using some 1/4" hardware cloth.

There were already some bolts on the tube from the old grates, and four of them were almost in the right position fot the cast iron skillet I was planning on using for my heat deflector. I just used two 18" long chains attached to the lower bolts and set the pan on them.

I have supports for three grates, although I only have two at this time.

I even cut some of the legs off an old $15 Harbor Freight work station to make a folding stand for my new smoker.

I had it running most of today, and had fum chairing the temp up and down, always behind the curve. But tomorrow's another day, ans I'll bet I'll be better by tomorrow night ;-)

These all look great.. guys...

Nice upgrades.
icon14.gif
Thanks Adam,  I really like the versatility.
icon14.gif

just have to watch adding more weight... I blew out those cheap legs on mine... replaced them with stainless pipe....
Yea the little smokey joes legs are cheapo, the jumbo joe's are much sturdier... I've hung 44 lbs of pork butts plus the weight of the SS stock pot in it this Summer.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky