In 2023, what's the pot of choice for a Smokey Joe Mini-WSM?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LanceR

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2012
Pinnacle, NC
I'm thinking of making a mini-WSM setup to occasional use for my wife and I, mostly on camping trips. I have an older 14" Smokey Joe.

As the title says: In 2023, what's the pot of choice for a Smokey Joe Mini-WSM? And are there any pitfalls or issues to be aware of in pot selection?

Thanks

Love our mini for camping especially! My suggestion is the gold, the vents are much easier to work with! It’s side vents vs the silver that has vents at the bottom and can get obstructed easily!

Reactions: pc farmer
the silver that has vents at the bottom and can get obstructed easily!

This easily avoidable with a small stainless pet bowl... Drill holes (1/2'') in the sides at the bottom of the bowl... Flip the bowl upside down and set over the vent holes in te bottom of the grill... Now the ashes fall down around the bowl and leaves the new vent holes high up out of the ashes...

I made my Mini's years ago and can't remember which pots I used... Imusa keeps coming to mind though and I believe it was a 32 qt. ...

Think it was this one here... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Imusa-32...Stockpot-with-Lid-and-Removable-Rack/13370045

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
This easily avoidable with a small stainless pet bowl... Drill holes (1/2'') in the sides at the bottom of the bowl... Flip the bowl upside down and set over the vent holes in te bottom of the grill... Now the ashes fall down around the bowl and leaves the new vent holes high up out of the ashes...

I made my Mini's years ago and can't remember which pots I used... Imusa keeps coming to mind though and I believe it was a 32 qt. ...

Think it was this one here... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Imusa-32...Stockpot-with-Lid-and-Removable-Rack/13370045

I think that is the pot I used! Thanks!

I went with the gold so I didn’t have to worry bout that…. But seems like you found a solution to the issue of the silver!

Think I remember something about that as well... Old Timers Disease is setting in fast
Old Timer's my eye! In my case it's a definitive case of CRS....

As in "Can't Remember Sheet!!"

Thanks guys.

The 32 quart IMUSA pot seems to be out of stock everywhere. And their website shows a lot of possibilities but the dimensions given are all over the place and some dimensions are clearly way off base for the volumes stated. Similarly, the Vasconia 32-quart pot seems to be unavailable, too.

I guess I'll troll Restaurant Depot, Target, Wally Mart etc with the Smokey Joe in the truck the next time I'm in Winston-Salem and Greensboro although looking online only the RD has anything close to the one you linked to. That way, if I buy a pot that doesn't fit I can return it right away.

RD has a 32 quart tamale pot for $42 but it says it "May not be available"

You can check your local second hand store also.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm thinking of making a mini-WSM setup to occasional use for my wife and I, mostly on camping trips. I have an older 14" Smokey Joe.

As the title says: In 2023, what's the pot of choice for a Smokey Joe Mini-WSM? And are there any pitfalls or issues to be aware of in pot selection?

Thanks
Hi LanceR. I am also looking to build a mini-WSM setup in 2023. While I don't know which pot is the right one, I can verify a pot that does not work that was said to be a great fit a few years ago. I ordered the Vasconia 32 quart steamer from walmart.com recently. The interior of the pot is just a bit too small for the smokey joe grill grate, so you can't get it in.
Here's the link:

Again, don't get this one. If you find one that works (and I can get it online because I live in remote northern Maine), please post it. I will do the same.

Reactions: LanceR
April 5, 2023. Ordered the IMUSA pot from walmart.com, it came yesterday, the Smokey Joe grill is a tight fit, but it fits. At $45 it's a bit more expensive than on the older posts, and maybe you could get it cheaper, but I live very remotely in northern Maine and don't have any retail shopping nearby so I am often forced to shop online.

Here's the link to the pot: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Imusa-Al...1-Quart-Steamer-Basket-and-Glass-Lid/52129686

Reactions: LanceR
Thanks T timinmaine . When you say it's tight is that the fit of the bottom rim of the pot with the flange of the Smokey Joe rim?

LanceR LanceR , I mean that there is no play in the grill as it slides into the pot, but it does go in if you play with it a bit. I put the grill grate in vertically, then rotated it until it was level, and it worked fine. The pot fits on the grill base well, and the grill lid fits on the pot tightly as well. It looks like it should work really well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky