In 2023, what's the pot of choice for a Smokey Joe Mini-WSM?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ahh. Thanks.

There's a lot of reasonably price round gills on Amazon. I'll look later to see it there's one a wee bit smaller than the Weber grill. That might widen the pot choice some and allow a less expensive pot to be used. The older style IMUSA pot with the plain metal lid and steamer rack is shown on IMUSA's website but doesn't seem to actually be available.

I'll check it but if memory serves the actual diameter of the 14" grill's rack is 13.5".

I used pop rivets through the sides of the pot for the grates to sit on... I can use 4 grates at a time... I also made a smaller grate that goes pass the indented rib towards the bottom of the pot so that it goes all the way in the bottom of the pot... It sets on the 1'' lip that is left after cutting the bottom out... I then cut the handle off of a 12'' cast iron skillet and set it down in the bottom on that grate... It works as both a heat sink/difusser and a drip pan (wrapped in foil for easy clean up)...

Must be careful to not bend the sides of the pot as then the grate is even harder to get in...

Reactions: LanceR
JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 ls, thanks for the info.

One option to explore is the charcoal grate from a Jumbo Joe 18" grill. It's a bit smaller than the grate on a Smokey Joe. I dropped the charcoal grate from my Jumbo Joe onto the Smokey Joe and it barely caught the flange on the rim of the Smokey Joe. The fact that it's not stainless or plated wouldn't be an issue if you season it like an expanded metal grate. And for BBQ, the wider rod spacing doesn't seem to be an issue either. It's not like I'll be smoking salad shrimp on it. I'll post a few pics next week.

I'll be out of town until next week but I'll be near the Restaurant Depot in Greensboro next week so I'll check out the pots they have.

I needed to get another small trailer before starting a smoker project and I found one a few weeks ago. I'm ready to start cutting steel for a trailer mounted reverse flow smoker, Santa Maria style grill and work table setup so this project is going to be more of a target of opportunity than the main objective. But when I do get the material together for the mini-WSM it should be a really quick build.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky