1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Possibly The Best Burger I've Ever Had (W / Pics)

Discussion in 'Beef' started by tx smoker, Sep 27, 2019.

1. tx smoker

tx smoker Smoking Fanatic

So the other day I read the post by Steve ( @Steve H ) about his smash burgers. Later that day while hanging out in the pool, sipping a margarita (is this a familiar theme??), and waiting for Tracy to get home, the visual of those burgers kept running through my mind. I decided that burgers were an absolute must for dinner...and I started craving one in a big way :emoji_wink: What was really interesting is that Steve and I had a discussion and found out that neither of us buy any ground meat products from the store. For beef, we both buy chuck roast and grind it ourselves. When I started this a couple years ago Tracy and I began making our own line of "gourmet" burgers by mixing in different chopped peppers, cheeses, and spices. I'd typically do 3 different burgers at a time in 3 pound batches of each flavor. Our favorite however is the bacon cheddar burger. For this I use 2 pounds of chuck and 1 pound of my homemade pepper crusted bacon and grind it all together then mix in 4 to 6 ounces of high temp cheddar cheese. That is what was on the menu for dinner!!

Started out by slicing some thick cut fries then tossed with EVOO and SPOG
    001.jpg

Here are the burgers
    002.jpg

Close up. You can really see the bacon and the cheese
    003.jpg

Got some sliced maters and some lettuce
    004.jpg

Fries in the air fryer getting started
    005.jpg

Burgers on the grill
    006.jpg

Done and in the house
    007.jpg

Here's where things get interesting. These are a couple projects I've been working on that came from numerous threads and conversations with Steve. Got some cucumber spears in the first jar, slices in the second jar for Tracy (she likes slices on her burgers) and some red onions in the last jar. All are in the same brine
    008.jpg

Add the maters. Sorry...Tracy bastardized my plate with the ketchup
    009.jpg

Fries all done
    010.jpg

Finish building the burger
    011.jpg

Money shot. Burger perfectly cooked, juicy and really tender.
    012.jpg

What I love about making the burgers in this manner is that the bacon and cheddar are incorporated throughout the burger, not just tossed on top as an afterthought. This really makes a huge difference. The bacon also helps keep the burger super moist. Steve...a note of interest. The red onions were the first thing I used the alum powder in and you were 100% spot on with that recommendation!! They have retained almost all of the crunch and texture but still infused with the flavor of the brine. They made a HUGE difference in the burgers and I'm starting to see a lot of uses for this. Now...to be fair and honest with everybody, we have had these burgers on numerous occasions but in truth, it was the anticipation of this one that made it the best. I've always liked burgers but for some reason, I was almost ready to eat it straight out of the freezer I wanted it so much :emoji_anguished: It did not disappoint either but still not sure if it topped Steve's smash burgers. I'm still carrying that visual around with me.

About time to grind some more,
    Robert

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Looks Tasty. We grind our own burger too. I either use chuck or clod. We like to mix all kinds of stuff into the burgers. Like having meatloaf on a bun!

fullborebbq likes this.
  3. creek bottom

creek bottom Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Great looking plate for sure!!! I'd definitely hit that!!!

4. pushok2018

pushok2018 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Robert, you got very nice burger right there! I am getting hungry again, right after my lunch 15 min. ago.... :emoji_yum: Now I am in conflict with myself: what do I want for tomorrow's dinner? A burger or chicken wings? Both? :emoji_laughing:

fullborebbq and udaman like this.
  5. tx smoker

Thank [email protected]! I'm starting to see more and more people doing their own grinding. My decision was made when one of the more prominent members here, who spent his life in the meat packaging / process business made a comment something to the effect of "the unspeakable things" done with the processing of ground meat. It was kinda scary :emoji_wink:

Appreciate it. Come on down!! We have a few left in the freezer and i'm sure Tracy wouldn't mind the company or another burger.

Sorry to have ruined your lunch :emoji_anguished: yours is not a difficult dilemma to solve. when in doubt, do both.

Ever the problem solver,
    Robert

fullborebbq likes this.
  6. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Burgers look great Robert! Interesting with bacon mixed it ill have to try that sometime. Try grinding up brisket next go around...brisket burgers are out of this world good!

7. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Wow! Whether or not if it topped my burgers. These bad boys look killer. Nicely done. On a side note. I do occasionally buy ground for burgers. But not too often.One thing I'm going to do sometime is make a burger from brisket. Had them a couple of times at a friends house. And they are great.

fullborebbq likes this.
  8. Steve H

I was typing that already too. They are good.

fullborebbq likes this.
  9. xray

xray Master of the Pit

I could really use a burger right now, they look delicious Robert!

I love putting pickled onions on my burgers. I actually have to make another batch this weekend.

Like!

10. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Whole choice packers were on sale a couple months ago for $1.99 lb here so I bought two and ground them up and froze in 1lb vac seal bags. You cant even buy the cheap nasty stuff in a tube at the store for $1.99 lb!

tallbm likes this.
  11. Steve H

I need to score some sales now that bbq season is drawing to a close. 1.99 would work for me.

12. smokerjim

smokerjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

those burgers look mighty tasty, those fries look excellent to. I won't knock the ketchup I use quite a bit of it myself.

13. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Id knock the socks of a burger like that! Great job! I'm sold on the brisket grind also. After finding short ribs now, I have an inkling to try a short rib burger grind!

fullborebbq and S-met like this.
  14. Great looking burgers but I spotted a problem. There are ONLY TWO. So what did Tracy eat?

fullborebbq likes this.
  15. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Burger Looks Great, Robert!!
    I'll have 2, please!---Hold the Onions---Or Fry them!
    I love Air Fries Too!!
    Like.

Bear

16. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

The burgers and sides look fantastic!! I have not started to grind my own burger yet but am down to only buying fresh ground from a local Amish butcher shop. The texture and taste difference is just night and day from those gross chubs from the grocer. I also will occasionally buy ground sirloin from our local save a lot as I know the butcher there and know they grind ONLY sirloin in it there at the store with no pink slime or other nastiness.

I got a small grinder attachment for Christmas that fits our Kitchenade mixer. I need to give it a go.

17. tx smoker

Thanks John!!! The bacon REALLY sets it over the top. You'll never find anything which is similar in a restaurant, I assure you of that. I'd love to grind up some brisket but we are pretty well set on burgers right now. I still have about 12 of my homemade burgers in the freezer as well as a box and a half (18) left from the kiddo's cookout a couple weeks ago. It's next on the agenda though!!

Robert

18. ofelles

ofelles Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Let me know the next time you make those I'll stop by...........of course I'll need a few days notice to get there! :emoji_wink:

19. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dad, growing up in the Butcher Shop, was adamant about Burgers. Ground Beef with stuff ON it, is a Burger. Ground Beef with stuff IN it is Meatloaf!
    I am sure the Burgers you made would change his mind. Lookin Good...JJ

fullborebbq likes this.
  20. S-met

S-met Smoke Blower

Looking good! I usually do a blend, chuck, short rib and top sirloin. I've been planning to add 5-7% pork belly, maybe next time.

Chuck has a deep beefy flavor, sirloin has a lean iron flavor and short rib provides a flavorful collagenous balance. Pork belly would add a nice flavor and fat.

fullborebbq likes this.