Possibly The Best Burger I've Ever Had (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So you are recommending the BGE for the brisket then?

Not necessarily making a recommendation per se, just letting you know that you can't go wrong with the BGE. The only one I'd actually recommend against is the electric smoker. It's my feeling that meat just has a better flavor if cooked with a real fire, whether it be charcoal or wood. I've only used the electric smoker for sausage and cold smoking cheese. Never used it for anything else. The Egg truly is a great piece of equipment though. I did the brisket and butt on it for the Cen Tex event and it was an all night cook. Gerald had to make one quick adjustment to the vents but from there, it remained perfect all night. Doesn't matter if it's -20 or 110 degrees, once you get it dialed in, it won't waver and it'll run for hours and hours. We have time to figure it out though. Still thinking I may go ahead and order the Rec Tec 700 though.

Tough call....
Robert

Those look delicious

up here, we had a restaurant that made bacon burgers.... all ground bacon!
Crazy good, but didn't go over too well.
I can only imagine how good incorporating it would taste.

one Q!
What texture does the high temp cheese have when eating.
Personally, I don't like cheddar as it is firm, and creates a paste when eating.
In a burger, if it stays firm like that, I am not sure I'd enjoy.
ON burgers, I want my cheese fully melted and ooeygooey!
Like on my pizza... fully melted and NOT burned.

Now I'm gonna have to look for primals on sale.

Not necessarily making a recommendation per se, just letting you know that you can't go wrong with the BGE. The only one I'd actually recommend against is the electric smoker. It's my feeling that meat just has a better flavor if cooked with a real fire, whether it be charcoal or wood. I've only used the electric smoker for sausage and cold smoking cheese. Never used it for anything else. The Egg truly is a great piece of equipment though. I did the brisket and butt on it for the Cen Tex event and it was an all night cook. Gerald had to make one quick adjustment to the vents but from there, it remained perfect all night. Doesn't matter if it's -20 or 110 degrees, once you get it dialed in, it won't waver and it'll run for hours and hours. We have time to figure it out though. Still thinking I may go ahead and order the Rec Tec 700 though.

Tough call....
Robert

Don't believe I've ever used an Electric Smoker, without burning Wood, whether it be in Dust or Pellet Form.

Bear

The cheese certainly softens up but it does not fully melt. Like you, I prefer cheese ON my burger to be fully melted but I believe the melting point for the high temp cheese is 400*. Not sure that I'd ever want to cook a burger to an IT that high :emoji_wink: The difference I believe comes from the fact that the pieces are small and incorporated throughout the burger so you don't get the sensation of having a mouthful of half melted cheese like you do if it's on the burger and not fully melted. You may be able to get away with using regular cheese, possibly American since it melts nicely, cut it into small pieces, mix into a burger, and give it a shot. It may work out very well and truth be told, I'd never thought about it until just now.

Hmmmmm.....
Robert

Don't believe I've ever used an Electric Smoker, without burning Wood, whether it be in Dust or Pellet Form.

When I was building our house we rented a condo in the same community the house was being built in. The rules at the condo were that no real fires were allowed for cooking....no charcoal, no propane, no wood. It was electric only. I sold my stick burner to a friend and bought an MES, AMNPS, and a bunch of pellets from Todd. It seemed that no matter how heavily I loaded the AMNPS or what pellets were used, I just never got the deep, rich smokiness that I got from the stick burner. I also never got that beautiful smoke ring with the MES. I'd done a lot of reading and there was something about how a real fire does something different with the meat than electricity does. Don't remember all of the specifics but it sounded pretty convincing. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not knocking an electric smoker but in my experience, I've just gotten better results with wood. There are a ton of folks turning out some really good food with them, I've just decided that I'l stick (no pun intended) with wood or charcoal.

Robert

When I was building our house we rented a condo in the same community the house was being built in. The rules at the condo were that no real fires were allowed for cooking....no charcoal, no propane, no wood. It was electric only. I sold my stick burner to a friend and bought an MES, AMNPS, and a bunch of pellets from Todd. It seemed that no matter how heavily I loaded the AMNPS or what pellets were used, I just never got the deep, rich smokiness that I got from the stick burner. I also never got that beautiful smoke ring with the MES. I'd done a lot of reading and there was something about how a real fire does something different with the meat than electricity does. Don't remember all of the specifics but it sounded pretty convincing. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not knocking an electric smoker but in my experience, I've just gotten better results with wood. There are a ton of folks turning out some really good food with them, I've just decided that I'l stick (no pun intended) with wood or charcoal.

Robert

I know, If I was younger & in good health, I'd probably go with a BGE, like Bear Jr has, but I also like being able to have my MES right on my roofed front porch, and not having to worry about a stray piece of burning wood or charcoal starting my Log House on fire.:emoji_astonished:

Bear

I also like being able to have my MES right on my roofed front porch, and not having to worry about a stray piece of burning wood or charcoal starting my Log House on fire.:emoji_astonished:

I completely understand sir and would probably do the same thing if I was in your situation. I even followed the rules at the condo....well sort of. Does running an extension cord (not plugged into anything ) under your propane grill to create the illusion of it being electric count as "following the rules"??

One of the beautiful things about our hobby is that regardless of your circumstances, requirements, or lifestyle, there is a cooker out there for you. In the past 10 years or so since I got into it, the market has just exploded with new stuff and the old mainstays have just gotten better. It's a beautiful world we live in!!

Robert

Reactions: Fueling Around

Tough call....
Robert

Don't get the Rec Tec on my account it will be fun to learn something new....BGE it is!

John

Last edited:
Robert,

LOL---That was one of our suggestions when one of the guys here had those same rules a few years ago. These modern apartment houses made of Brick, Block & concrete shouldn't have rules like that, at least IMO. Smoked Meat Smell shouldn't be a reason for any restrictions, but I guess that's why I don't live in a crowded area. I use an Electric Smoker, and I never do overnight smokes, because my Log House is worth too much to lose.

Bear

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like cheddar as it is firm, and creates a paste when eating.
In a burger, if it stays firm like that, I am not sure I'd enjoy.
ON burgers, I want my cheese fully melted and ooeygooey!
Like on my pizza... fully melted and NOT burned.
The cheese certainly softens up but it does not fully melt. Like you, I prefer cheese ON my burger to be fully melted but I believe the melting point for the high temp cheese is 400*. ...
Been thinking this one too.
I like the flavor but not the texture of high temp cheddar cheese in meat sticks.
I very rarely eat a cheese burger these days. Got tired of peeling the American cheese crap served on generic burgers.
Warmed chunky cheese would not meet the wife's approval as she wants it fully melted.

Maybe a Juicy Lucy style stuffed burger would work with the bacon ground into the beef? When the bacon in the patty is cooked, the cheese center should be at the 150° ("ooeygooey") melting point?

TX appreciate your post. I think I liked (Have to back and check) as I love bacon in most anything. Wife is on a low histamine diet so bacon is out. I may try this with raw pork belly mixed the beef and a Juicy Lucy cheese center so I can fully cook the belly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky