Pork Shoulder Kettle Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, it was my weekend off and I found one of our local grocers selling shoulders for .99/lb. earlier in the week. I bought one and decided to let her ride on Saturday.

It was a good size weighing in at a little of 11.5/lb. Fairly well trimmed also.
DSC03261.JPG

I left the fat cap on and just scored with a criss cross pattern. Then gave her a couple of shakes of Stubbs Pork rub.
DSC03264.JPG

Onto the 26" Kettle using the SnS. Two chunks of hickory wood for flavoring.

DSC03265.JPG

After about 5hrs I opened the lid to see how she was progressing:

DSC03267.JPG

Then into a nice cozy tent she went:

DSC03270.JPG

All pulled. I didn't make a samie that night. It was getting late. So, we just nibbled on a few pieces. Umm Good

DSC03271.JPG

Total Cook time: 12hrs. 11 in the smoker, and 1 in the oven.

SnS needed to be refilled twice.

Avg cook temp: between 250* to 275*

We'll be eating pulled pork sammies tonight, and I'll take some to work tomorrow. Then it will be vacuumed sealed to be enjoyed in the not-so-distant future.

Thanks for looking

Chris

I'm liking that Chris!! Never done one on the kettle though. Gave consideration to it couple times but just seem to keep popping them into the smoker. I can only guess you got some amazing smoky flavor on that thing. Well done sir!!

Robert

Reactions: gmc2003
Nice work on that. I may have to invest in a kettle now. Also great price on that. They have been popping up here lately. Good looking pork there. Point!

Another great cook on a kettle . Good price too . They're still $1.79 here .
Nice work again bud .

Well, it was my weekend off and I found one of our local grocers selling shoulders for .99/lb. earlier in the week. I bought one and decided to let her ride on Saturday.

It was a good size weighing in at a little of 11.5/lb. Fairly well trimmed also.
View attachment 633804

I left the fat cap on and just scored with a criss cross pattern. Then gave her a couple of shakes of Stubbs Pork rub.
View attachment 633805

Onto the 26" Kettle using the SnS. Two chunks of hickory wood for flavoring.

View attachment 633806

After about 5hrs I opened the lid to see how she was progressing:

View attachment 633807

Then into a nice cozy tent she went:

View attachment 633808

All pulled. I didn't make a samie that night. It was getting late. So, we just nibbled on a few pieces. Umm Good

View attachment 633809

Total Cook time: 12hrs. 11 in the smoker, and 1 in the oven.

SnS needed to be refilled twice.

Avg cook temp: between 250* to 275*

We'll be eating pulled pork sammies tonight, and I'll take some to work tomorrow. Then it will be vacuumed sealed to be enjoyed in the not-so-distant future.

Thanks for looking

Chris
Man I love shoulder - well done!

I'm liking that Chris!! Never done one on the kettle though. Gave consideration to it couple times but just seem to keep popping them into the smoker. I can only guess you got some amazing smoky flavor on that thing. Well done sir!!

Robert
Appreciate it Robert. The I used to use the WSM for longer cooks. Now the kettle makes it so much easier.

Nice work on that. I may have to invest in a kettle now. Also great price on that. They have been popping up here lately. Good looking pork there. Point!
Thanks Ringer. You won't be sorry getting a kettle. I was shocked when I saw the price.

YEAP! Looks good! Good work on that kettle!
I just did one on my WSM last night. Finished it in the oven this morning.

When was the last time you used your WSM?
Appreciate it Justin. I don't think I've used my WSM in a year or more. I better take it out soon to make sure no critters are living in it
Looks good Cris and it always taste best @ $0.99!! Second post today I’ve seen using the SnS.
Thanks Jeff. I use the SnS and Vortex often.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Another great cook on a kettle . Good price too . They're still $1.79 here .
Nice work again bud .
Thanks Rich, The price was a real shocker to me.

Looks nice Chris, but I’m calling bs. No picture of the beer pole, so it didn’t happen. The ribs you posted were legit, but I have questions about this butt. Jk/ messing with you. We are are having PP tonight as well, enjoy.
Appreciate it Edge
Nice looking butt, I need to do more with my kettle.

Warren
Thank you Warren.
Great looking shoulder Chris, and great price also.
PP sandwiches great, extra portions done up for later meals perfect.

David
Appreciate it David. With only the two of us. We'll have PP for quite a while.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Great post without the post. Nothing like classic pulled pork. I just ran out of my freezer packs so it’s time to make some more.
LOL thanks Sven. We're pretty much stocked up with PP for the remainder of the year.
That’s some nice looking pulled pork Chris! The kettle really does it all. Nicely done.
Appreciate it Xray. I haven't found much that the kettle can't do.
Mighty fine PP Chris!
Thanks Steve.
Looking good!
Jim
Thanks Jim

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky