Pork Roll Substitute

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks good bear. No pork roll down here but I've always wanted to try one

Thank You Jake!!
You'd Love It !!
Sounds like Mike knows where you can get some.

Bear

Looks great Bear! Love Pork Roll since childhood. I order in from NJ, as I must have mentioned before. LOL.
I tried it with Gulden's spicy mustard and it was good. I also use Heinz ketchup more regularly, and swiss cheese on the sandwiches once in a while. Just had 2 Pork Roll and Scrambled egg on Hard Rolls last night.

Thank You Mike!!
I've had it all those ways, except with Swiss, but I'm sure I'd love that.
However we rarely stock Swiss here, especially during this Pandemic.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Never even seen a pork roll before but it looks like spam so it must be good! Love the pork samich and eggs. That's some good stuff!

Thank You Civil !!
I love both Spam & Pork Roll.
I can't really compare them, because they aren't anything like each other.
Pork Roll is close to a really good Hot Dog, or a piece of Fried Bologna.
Spam is probably closer to Bacon than Pork Roll.
Mrs Bear will not eat Spam, but she loves Pork Roll.

Bear

Reactions: civilsmoker
Looks awesome, Bear! My mother’s side of the family is originally from Philadelphia and I grew up around Taylor Pork Roll. If you’ve never tried it, get your hands on some and do like Bear did...you’ll love it! 😋

Thank You CR !!!
Yup---Lots in Philly.
Centered at Trenton, but probably has at least a 100 mile Radius.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

As previously mentioned it is mostly from NJ/PA area but you can certainly get it in NY, MD and sometimes comes presliced in a package in certain grocery stores. Also as mentioned it is a staple breakfast meat. Use it in place of any time you would use bacon and you are in good shape. Porkroll egg and cheese is my favorite breakfast sandwich hands down.

Pork Roll is mainly a Jersey area food. People will argue over brands, but a good pork roll and egg on a hard roll that's something to enjoy.

Thank You Jimbo!!
Yup---I've had both Case & Taylor brands, and I like them both!!
Taylor is much easier to find though!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

As previously mentioned it is mostly from NJ/PA area but you can certainly get it in NY, MD and sometimes comes presliced in a package in certain grocery stores. Also as mentioned it is a staple breakfast meat. Use it in place of any time you would use bacon and you are in good shape. Porkroll egg and cheese is my favorite breakfast sandwich hands down.

Thank You!!
Exactly!!

Bear

in Jersey it’s easy to find around the country it’s a hit or miss for them.
First time Bear posted about pork roll I had heard of it , but never had it . I did a Google search for Taylor's ham in my zip code . After some looking I came across an ad for a Mom and Pop Deli 5 minutes from my house . Bought 2 chubs , and ate them both in the matter of a couple days .

First time Bear posted about pork roll I had heard of it , but never had it . I did a Google search for Taylor's ham in my zip code . After some looking I came across an ad for a Mom and Pop Deli 5 minutes from my house . Bought 2 chubs , and ate them both in the matter of a couple days .
you will eat it up quick I get the one lb'er it goes quick. when friends from out of state come over they always bring a roll or 2 home. In jersey deli's compete to make theirs the best. But all I can say is enjoy you can do it with cheese, egg, plain, some places even put in on hamburgers

Yep. I've loved Pork Roll my whole life. First time I got it at Publix here in GA, the cashier asked me what it was. I said Taylor Ham, she said, What's that? I answered, Pork Roll. LOL. We went back and forth like that a few times.

I can tell you that when I was just a little fellah---Maybe 5, 6, or 7 years old, when I was still going on shopping trips with My Mother, we would stop for lunch, and I would always get either a Hot Dog, a Pork Roll Sammy, or a "Pork BBQ", which is what Sandwich joints in my area called "Pulled Pork Sammy".
It wasn't until I was in my early Teens that I graduated to a Plated "Hot Roast Beef Sammy, with Gravy on the Fries"
LOL---Then late Teens I went to "Philly cheesesteaks" & "Webbers", and never looked back.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
you will eat it up quick I get the one lb'er it goes quick. when friends from out of state come over they always bring a roll or 2 home. In jersey deli's compete to make theirs the best. But all I can say is enjoy you can do it with cheese, egg, plain, some places even put in on hamburgers

The easiest one to find in our stores is the 1 pound Roll, but I don't like the size being so much smaller than a Burger Bun. The bigger Roll is much better.
The Pre-sliced is our last choice, because they are sliced too thin, and Dry Out easily.
At least they're always available in my local stores!!

Bear

The easiest one to find in our stores is the 1 pound Roll, but I don't like the size being so much smaller than a Burger Bun. The bigger Roll is much better.
The Pre-sliced is our last choice, because they are sliced too thin, and Dry Out easily.
At least they're always available in my local stores!!

Bear
I found out the hard way about the 1 lb'ers. I'm lucky enough to get the thick sliced pre-pakcaged 4 slices per pack vac sealed from the Taylor Ham Man. I get 8 packs at a time, and try to make it last 2 months. I'm the only one that eats it here, unless my Son stops in and steals a pack or 2. My Wife is from Jersey as well, but doesn't like it for some odd reason.

I found out the hard way about the 1 lb'ers. I'm lucky enough to get the thick sliced pre-pakcaged 4 slices per pack vac sealed from the Taylor Ham Man. I get 8 packs at a time, and try to make it last 2 months. I'm the only one that eats it here, unless my Son stops in and steals a pack or 2. My Wife is from Jersey as well, but doesn't like it for some odd reason.

They only ever had those "Thick sliced" one here one time.
Must have been a Fluke. They were Great that way too.

Bear

Yes true that. Would you believe that I am now not getting the email notices about replies to watched threads?

Yes true that. Would you believe that I am now not getting the email notices about replies to watched threads?

I lost power & internet at 8:40 AM today (High Winds), and didn't get it back until 3 PM. However I had a good bunch of email notifications there waiting for me.
Maybe I got some of yours. LOL

Bear

Notifications are now starting to come in, from all day with nothing. Oh well, at least it's working.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky