Pork Ribs questions please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

red sled

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 26, 2017
This will be our first attempt at smoking pork ribs on our new MES 30". Our local store only had "loin back" ribs.

1) Are loin back ribs a cross between baby backs and spare ribs ?

2) Is there a membrane on these loin backs that needs to be removed ?

3) These were on sale for $3.99 per pound. Is this a good deal and should I get a few more for the freezer ? We like ribs but usually get them at a restaurant (Rib City is our favorite) .

4) Should these be smoked/cooked to 160 degrees F ?

Thank you in advance

1) Loin back and baby back ribs are the same thing.
2) There is a membrane. It never has to be removed from ribs. Some folks like to remove them, others feel leaving them on retains more moisture
3) I wouldn't consider that a good deal. It's fair. I usually buy them for between $3-4
4) Some folks cook ribs to temperature, but they're not even close to done at 160. I go buy feel; toothpick and/or bend test. They're probably in the 200F range when they are done.

removing the membrane makes for a more enjoyable eating experience as you don't have to chew around it, or fish a piece of it out of your mouth at the table:eek:
They will be a bit tough at 160°

This will be our first attempt at smoking pork ribs on our new MES 30". Our local store only had "loin back" ribs.

1) Are loin back ribs a cross between baby backs and spare ribs ? Loin back ribs are Baby backs that have more of the loin meat on them, they are thicker & meatier than baby backs

2) Is there a membrane on these loin backs that needs to be removed ? Personally I don't remove the membrane, I think it holds in a lot of the juices. When the ribs are done the membrane will pull off very easily before cutting the ribs up.

3) These were on sale for $3.99 per pound. Is this a good deal and should I get a few more for the freezer ? We like ribs but usually get them at a restaurant (Rib City is our favorite) . $3.99 is a good deal around here for FRESH, NEVER FROZEN ribs. But you can get them at Sam's Club cheaper. I prefer to get the never frozen ribs, cause I think they are juicier. And the 3 pack that you get at Sam's doesn't give you a choice to pick out your ribs. It seems like the one in the middle is a rack that I normally wouldn't buy.

4) Should these be smoked/cooked to 160 degrees F ? Your ribs need to be cooked to a IT of 190-205, at 190 they will have a little chew to them, we like ours at 195, they are tender & juicy, but not quite fall off the bone. At 200-205 they will be fall off the bone. The bones will just slide out of the ribs.

Thank you in advance

Good luck!
Al

RS, Another thing you might try is foiling for your first rib adventure. A 2-2-1 will get you close to where you want to be.Hit the search bar for all kinds of ideas/tips on ribs, have fun and enjoy your ribs !

Al sparked a thought...
I normally get my ribs at Sam's club, I have to remove an outer membrane that's plastic.
I guess I never knew about an inner membrane because I've never removed it. Maybe it already has been removed?
I slide out a rack and cut it in half for easier handling all around. For me, it's much easier to work with half racks.

The first time I encountered "Plastic Meat" was with Costco, probably 20 years ago. They had these individually packaged Rib Eye steaks.
Vacuum packed, flash frozen, easy to store, easier to use (thaw out one, or thaw out as many as you need.)
After finding I liked them, I'd tell her, "Get some of those plastic steaks." And she knew exactly what I wanted.

I don't recall if the pork ribs are fresh or frozen before. I think fresh, because we have repackaged them and frozen them. Curiosity got the best of me, so I went shopping. Yep, $2.98 a pound, fresh never frozen, 3 racks per bag.

Then, if we feel like ribs we thaw out 1, 2, or 3 repackaged from the freezer. Cut in half, one rack fits a gallon sized ziploc bag. (I've never froze a whole bag of 3 racks, it'd take a month to thaw it back out. :confused: )
Now that I have a vacuum sealer, I'm apt to stock up and put some in the chest freezer.

Other things I like buying in plastic is fish. Like my Salmon portions. Like the plastic steak, they are packaged and flash frozen on the farm pens out at sea by factory ships. $8.99 a pound. Fresh runs $10 here.

Anyway, yeah, plastic meat. Some like it, some don't. I do.
Just make sure to check your deep freezer occasionally...

Happy gnawing! :D

Thanks everyone for your input ! We smoked two racks of loin back ribs using the 3-2-1 method and we were very pleased with the results. Brushed them lightly with yellow mustard, added a dry rub of brown sugar, onion poweder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, wrapped in plastic and in the fridge overnight. Next day I pre-heated the MES to 225 degrees and smoked for three hours with hickory chips. Because it was so cold outdoors and a long walk to the shop, we finished them the last hour in a foil covered tray in the oven, smothered in BBQ sauce and apple juice on the bottom. The ribs were not fall off the bone but still delicious and tender. Flavor enhanced by the many products including the smoke, but nothing overpowering. My wife and I shared one rack and froze the other. I think maybe it's time to pull the second rack from the freezer. :)

Thanks everyone for your input ! We smoked two racks of loin back ribs using the 3-2-1 method and we were very pleased with the results. Brushed them lightly with yellow mustard, added a dry rub of brown sugar, onion poweder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, wrapped in plastic and in the fridge overnight. Next day I pre-heated the MES to 225 degrees and smoked for three hours with hickory chips. Because it was so cold outdoors and a long walk to the shop, we finished them the last hour in a foil covered tray in the oven, smothered in BBQ sauce and apple juice on the bottom. The ribs were not fall off the bone but still delicious and tender. Flavor enhanced by the many products including the smoke, but nothing overpowering. My wife and I shared one rack and froze the other. I think maybe it's time to pull the second rack from the freezer. :)

Sounds like a great maiden voyage. Around here if there are no pics, it didn’t happen. On your next smoke take plenty of pics to post as you go along. Happy Smoking!

Weedeater

Reactions: klower181
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky