Pork neck bones (in split pea soup)!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I did not know pork neck bones were a "thing" but after trying some in pea soup, I'm addicted now.
Not wanting to buy the usual cured/smoked feet/knuckles due to the chems added, I noticed the split neck bones contained nothing whatsoever, so I grabbed a bag of them.
Roasted in the oven at 400 with salt/pepper and olive oil until dark brown, then into the pea soup as it simmered.
Net result was fantastic, that neck meat (removed from the bones and added back to the soup) was fantastic.

I did not know pork neck bones were a "thing" but after trying some in pea soup, I'm addicted now.
Not wanting to buy the usual cured/smoked feet/knuckles due to the chems added, I noticed the split neck bones contained nothing whatsoever, so I grabbed a bag of them.
Roasted in the oven at 400 with salt/pepper and olive oil until dark brown, then into the pea soup as it simmered.
Net result was fantastic, that neck meat (removed from the bones and added back to the soup) was fantastic.

Awesome information!

Neck Bones are great. 33 years ago, I worked in Jersey City, NJ. My Boss was the Pastor of a African American Baptist Church. Every Friday the Church Ladies made a meal for the congregation and sold boxes to raise money. Smothered Neck Bones, Collard Greens, Blackeye Peas and Cornbread, $5! I REALLY miss those days and the Meals those Ladies put out!...JJ

Reactions: zwiller
Other neck bone options for you to explore.... smoke them and eat them as is (working around the bones) or add to soup or stew.
oUkmbyp.jpg
Or partially smoke them, cool pit temps and pressure finish them with some pork broth. Really good for soup, or about any Mexican dish needing pork. I use the smoked pork broth as part of my injection for pork butts. Neck bones are a win-win.
WvCQ4cf.jpg
CXrhXbj.jpg

Reactions: chef jimmyj
The tenderness and flavor put ribs and most pork butt to shame.

Neck Bones are great. 33 years ago, I worked in Jersey City, NJ. My Boss was the Pastor of a African American Baptist Church. Every Friday the Church Ladies made a meal for the congregation and sold boxes to raise money. Smothered Neck Bones, Collard Greens, Blackeye Peas and Cornbread, $5! I REALLY miss those days and the Meals those Ladies put out!...JJ
Not sure of the price but there was a guy doing this here not long ago. He might still be but maybe in another location.

I am sure roasted neck could work but I love hocks in split pea and other stuff. I am convinced if I cured and smoked myself they would be even better but fresh hock cost more than cured/smoked.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I like hock too but I messed up and read the list of stuff they pile in there.
I don't want or need any more of those chems, and try to avoid when possible.
I went for the neck parts because they were the only ingredient listed on the info label.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky