Pork Loin 1.6 lbs getting ready really fast!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rotweiler2

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Woodland Hills, CA
Hi,

I put a piece of pork loin (not tender loin) in the smoker at 235F and it is already at 145F IT after only 1.5 hours.  The piece is about 1.5" thick, but this just seems much faster than I expected.  I planned on removing it at 145F and wrapping it into aluminum foil and let it rest. 

Any input or advice? 

Thank you,
Chef Lars

Hi,

I put a piece of pork loin (not tender loin) in the smoker at 235F and it is already at 145F IT after only 1.5 hours.  The piece is about 1.5" thick, but this just seems much faster than I expected.  I planned on removing it at 145F and wrapping it into aluminum foil and let it rest. 

Any input or advice? 

Thank you,
Chef Lars
If it was me, and my thermometer is correct, I'd get it out of there quick!!

Bear

All right - I'll take it out at 145F IT - thank you!
That's good----Then go to your original plan, and let it rest in foil for awhile. Towels too, if your gonna rest it for a long time, to keep it warm.

I take it you know your therm is accurate?

Bear

That's good----Then go to your original plan, and let it rest in foil for awhile. Towels too, if your gonna rest it for a long time, to keep it warm.

I take it you know your therm is accurate?

Bear
Well, here is the result:
Got distracted with work and took it out at 150F.  It still came out juicy and good, BUT a lean meat like this should just be thrown on the BBQ - high heat to brown a bit and then indirect heat to finish it up. The good news is that it isn't pink anymore, but still not dry, so my wife will eat it :-)  Well, it was a good first try and I am not disappointed, considering the lean meat I used.

Pretty sure the thermometer is accurate. It's a brand new digital therm from Webber...

Thanks for your help and fast response.  I subscribed to you and will refer to your list, going forward.

Pork loins can do fine in the smoker - I smoke them all the time. Once they hit 142 - 145 IT I wrap them & let rest for an hour before slicing.

Don't give up on smoking them yet 
beercheer.gif

Well, here is the result:
Got distracted with work and took it out at 150F.  It still came out juicy and good, BUT a lean meat like this should just be thrown on the BBQ - high heat to brown a bit and then indirect heat to finish it up. The good news is that it isn't pink anymore, but still not dry, so my wife will eat it :-)  Well, it was a good first try and I am not disappointed, considering the lean meat I used.

Pretty sure the thermometer is accurate. It's a brand new digital therm from Webber...

Thanks for your help and fast response.  I subscribed to you and will refer to your list, going forward.
Sounds like you did alright.

I figured since it was already 145* when you posted, by the time you got there to pull it the IT could be near 150, and maybe coast to near 155* IT while foiled, but as long as it didn't dry out you're in good shape.

A few years ago the USDA was calling 160* IT to be "Safe to eat Pork", but then they changed it to 145*. Pork Loin had a tendency to dry out a bit at 160* or better.

Glad I could help!!

Bear

Pork loins can do fine in the smoker - I smoke them all the time. Once they hit 142 - 145 IT I wrap them & let rest for an hour before slicing.

Don't give up on smoking them yet 
beercheer.gif
I guess it's all about "what am I using it for". The original idea was to slice it and eat it like I would a brisket.  Since it was done much earlier than dinner time and it was room temperature, I changed that idea and cut half of it into cubes, tossed it in the BBQ sauce w/ peach jam that I had made earlier and made a BBQ Chopped Pork Salad. It was GREAT!  Today I sliced the rest very thin and made sandwiches - also delicious.  I am quite happy with the first smoking results, thanks to this site and all you fine smokers :-)

Different meats demand different cooking procedures, times and temperatures. Things like pork butt, brisket and chuck roast are best done low and slow using "traditional" bbq methods. Pork loin and to a further extreme, pork tenderloin, demand a much different method. Low temps work great, as long as you catch the sweet spot, which you appear to have done here. Good job by the way!!

But I agree, a quick sear and an indirect finish delivers the desired result with less guesswork. A reverse sear works well too. Thing is, think of loin and tenderloin as a steak, not a roast, and you'll have much more consistent results.

I guess it's all about "what am I using it for". The original idea was to slice it and eat it like I would a brisket.  Since it was done much earlier than dinner time and it was room temperature, I changed that idea and cut half of it into cubes, tossed it in the BBQ sauce w/ peach jam that I had made earlier and made a BBQ Chopped Pork Salad. It was GREAT!  Today I sliced the rest very thin and made sandwiches - also delicious.  I am quite happy with the first smoking results, thanks to this site and all you fine smokers :-)
Yup you're 100% right. Glad it turned out good for you 
icon14.gif
  Your BBQ Chopped Pork Salad with the peach jam sounds very good! 
smile.gif

Thank you all for your helpful comments.  Maybe it's the patience that smoking meat requires, or that one has to be down to earth to enjoy this hobby, but I found nothing but super nice people here! :-)

This is a great place to be! It's the friendliest meat smoking forum around & you don't have to worry about dealing with a bunch of jerks or snobs - the people here enjoy helping each other 
biggrin.gif
  There are plenty of forums & sites out there but this is the only one I go to - I have no need to go elsewhere...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky