Pork Chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vicmackey

Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
Southern Maine
Hi all,
I have a freezer full of pork chops and when I suggest cooking some up for dinner, the family runs and hides and starts tossing out warnings of over cooked dry chops! I’m looking for suggestions on cooking pork cops either on the smoker, bbq, oven or slow cooker. I’ve done a little research but wanted to hear from the experts.
Thanks!

.#1 Only buy thick chops, 1" minimum, 1.5"-2" is best.
#2 Brine, wet brine those chops.
Dry brine and injection is good too.
#3 Cook to a finished IT no greater than 145°, remove from heat at 135°-140°.

It's hard to go wrong with a good Smoke and Sear, smoke to 105°+/- and sear to 140°.
Good seasonings, sauces/gravies or stuffings really help.

Last edited:
Reactions: drdon and zwiller
I do however recommend thin cut 1/4" chops and cutlets for breaded deep fried pork chops.

Double dredged and well salted before the oil stops running off them.
Panko breading is our favorite.

See my recipe index for ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Chile has you covered.

My biggest rule is option #3, cook to 140-145 internal temperature. Anything beyond that and meat starts drying out.

The method of cooking and seasoning is all preference. I prefer grilled. I also like to cut my own chops from the loin and butterfly them. This way I could get thicker ones than what the store usually sells.

I concur with xray and chili. My family used to HATE pork chops. Wife used to cook them 100 ways in crock pots, casserole style, shake and bake etc. and they all hated them. I started just grilling them with some basic steak seasonings on the grill to 145F and everyone loves them now. Smoke and sear is super popular with them as well. Every now and then I will wet brine them in Pops brine and do smoked cured chops for a treat.

I do however recommend thin cut 1/4" chops and cutlets for breaded deep fried pork chops.

Surprised to see that here/was planning on suggesting. Easily my favorite chop (schnitzel). Also, you can chunk it up and do city chicken.

Every now and then I will wet brine them in Pops brine and do smoked cured chops for a treat.

Yepper, roast them some kraut. Jonesing for some right now and will be on deck soon.

Reactions: jcam222
as mentioned above, I always brine mine with a quart of water, 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar for a couple hours, rinse, pat dry and put what ever seasoning i'm in the mood for that day,usually just black pepper and garlic. sometimes I smoke them sometimes I grill them but as they said above do not over cook them.

Reactions: jcam222
My wife and I both liked the flavor but not the texture of the thin, dry, fried pork chops we grew up on. We both used to smother them with applesauce just to choke them down.

Last week I was hunting the meat section and they had thin-cut (1/2"), bone-in pork chops on sale, cheap. There were six in a package. Now, I haven't cooked thin-cut pork chops in decades. I decided to buy them and give it a try.

I threw flour and seasoning salt in a Ziplock bag. Tossed the chops in it two at a time, shook off the extra flour and set them on a platter.

I fired up the Weber Kettle, splashed some extra-light olive oil in a paella pan, and let it get hot. First I cooked some smashed potatoes that ended up being fried potatoes, but that's described in another thread.

At this point my fire was about 45 minutes old, but still hot. I splashed some more oil in the pan, let it get hot, which took like seconds, then tossed in the chops. 4 minutes on the first side, flip, 3-4 minutes on the second. Meat temp was right at 140F when I pulled them off.

My wife was less than enthusiastic when I told her we were having fried pork chops for dinner. I reminded her that a little pink was okay and not to worry. She took one bite and said, "These are the best pork chops I've ever eaten. They're so juicy!" I had to agree, and they've been put back into our dinner rotation.

My wife and I both liked the flavor but not the texture of the thin, dry, fried pork chops we grew up on. We both used to smother them with applesauce just to choke them down.

Last week I was hunting the meat section and they had thin-cut (1/2"), bone-in pork chops on sale, cheap. There were six in a package. Now, I haven't cooked thin-cut pork chops in decades. I decided to buy them and give it a try.

I threw flour and seasoning salt in a Ziplock bag. Tossed the chops in it two at a time, shook off the extra flour and set them on a platter.

I fired up the Weber Kettle, splashed some extra-light olive oil in a paella pan, and let it get hot. First I cooked some smashed potatoes that ended up being fried potatoes, but that's described in another thread.

At this point my fire was about 45 minutes old, but still hot. I splashed some more oil in the pan, let it get hot, which took like seconds, then tossed in the chops. 4 minutes on the first side, flip, 3-4 minutes on the second. Meat temp was right at 140F when I pulled them off.

My wife was less than enthusiastic when I told her we were having fried pork chops for dinner. I reminded her that a little pink was okay and not to worry. She took one bite and said, "These are the best pork chops I've ever eaten. They're so juicy!" I had to agree, and they've been put back into our dinner rotation.

Gonna try this. I cut mine a 50 mm. Acorrding to the slicer measurements

I often do the old Shake-n-bake method indirect on the kettle. Just pull them out when they reach about 140ish*. Very simple, quick, inexpensive and tastes really good.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky