Pork Butt -For Pops6927

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petewoody

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
The Woodlands, Houston, TX
Pops, in an earlier post about Easter Pork Butt ham, you mentioned that you "boned and rolled" the butt.

Food Lion has butts at 0.99 per pound so I am going to cure and smoke one in an effort to come up with what we used to call pickled pork when I was growing up in Australia.

When I take the bone out (never an operation of skill or beauty) I end up with one end hacked up.

My question is do you butterfly the whole butt and then roll or do you just tie up the whole butt (after bone removal) to keep the butchered end neat.

Thanks. Peter

Peter, evening.... I will answer part of your question.....  I would bone and fly the butt... then I would "pickle" or "corn" while flied...  The cure will penetrate faster and the flavoring will be throughout the meat better......  

Then I would rinse and roll or what ever your plans were....  

The reason I would do it that way is, once you cut into the butt, rolling it will introduce surface bacteria into the center of the rolled butt and that could be a problem with the cure, pickle etc getting full penetration into the rolled meat hunk.... I tend to lean toward the safest way to do stuff.... It may not be necessary but I don't know the answer to that so... safety first on my end....  

Dave 

Dave, thanks for the response. In the absence of any responses I was going to proceed along the lines of your suggestion. I am never certain when large muscles have had enough time to cure so I generally overdo it.

When it is open, you have a great opportunity to cut out what you don't want to eat. After rolling and smoking it all holds together nice and it upgrades your ham.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky