• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
full

Happy New Year Y'all! We had a small shindig so I decided Pork Butt would be a quick easy cook. Then I decided I wanted more Pork Belly and that lead to also wanting to try the Pork Belly Braid, cause why not!? The following ensued...

Cook Details:
Date: 12/31/19
Meat: Pork Butt (Bone In), Pork Belly 2 ways
Rub: Pitfaced BBQ On Point
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: Pecan
Temp: 250°F
Cook Time: Pork Butt - 12 Hours PBBEs - 3 hours Pork Braid - 4.5 Hours
Sides: Scratch Mac & Cheese and Pulled Pork Sauce

Pictures (Comments on top):

Pork Butt on the pit with Pecan Pellets in the hopper and smoke tube

full

Put into a pan to catch some renderings (left uncovered)

full

Pork Belly Cubed

full

Pork Belly Braid Prep

full

Each strand was coated in wooster sauce and full rub coverage prior to braiding. Ends held with toothpicks.

full

Everyone on the pit!

full

Bone pulled clean around 203 internal

full

Pork Pulled and some pan renderings added back in

full

Pork Belly Burnt Ends Straight up, no glaze this time

full

Pork Belly Braid!

full

full

full

Pork Panned and Mac & Cheese ready

full

Incoming Bear View! Wipe Your Feet Bearcarver Bearcarver lol!

full

Butter Toasted Ritz Topping

full

Pulled Pork Sauce

full

Bottled

full

Plated

full

Final Thoughts:

It had been awhile since I've done Pulled Pork and I needed to rectify that. Overall this was a pretty straight forward cook. No glazes, spritz's, or wraps, Just smoke and time. And probably a little booze on the side for the cook :emoji_grin: . I was rel happy with how everything turned out. The re-added renders from the butt back into the final product was delicious! so much flavor and moisture. The sauce is not necessary but gives an added zing from the ACV base. The PBBEs were standard. More of a snack so I left them straight up. Really enjoy them.

Now for the Braid... I had seen it posted on here awhile back and a few other places and never remember to ever try one. I needed to fix that. Prep is pretty straight forward. While I had the three strands split up I made sure to cover each leg in full before braiding to ensure maximum flavorization! I did have to bring the wife in cause I'm not an expert at braiding. One quick lesson later and I had it all wrapped up and skewered to hold the loose ends together. Once it was done I just cut 1/4" slices. I thought they would be just like PBBEs in flavor and texture. Way wrong. The folded up layers obviously increased the surface area and it rendered slower as a result compared to the Bites. The texture was awesome! A little more fat and bit to it. I really enjoyed it and will be doing again!

It was a great meal and a great night with some great people. On to the next meal!

Cheers Y'all!

TL;DR

Pork Three Ways

tenor.gif

Zach you absolutely nailed it with all three ways of pork there. I smoke a lot of butts and do the exact same thing you did. Take the juices it rendered it and add them back into the finished product. Moist and BBQ sauce is never needed. Your looks fantastic and the vinegar sauce it always an added bonus.

That pork braid looks damn good! You got me licking my dirty phone screen now just trying to get a small taste!

All these belly posts have me thinking I need to go get some! Nice work my friend!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
I’ll take all 3 please!!! The pork 3 way looks delicious!!

I keep forgetting to try the braid. I’ve wanted to try that with pork loin that others have posted. I know that braid is buried somewhere in my “things to try” notebook.

Awesome job!

Zach you absolutely nailed it with all three ways of pork there. I smoke a lot of butts and do the exact same thing you did. Take the juices it rendered it and add them back into the finished product. Moist and BBQ sauce is never needed. Your looks fantastic and the vinegar sauce it always an added bonus.

That pork braid looks damn good! You got me licking my dirty phone screen now just trying to get a small taste!

All these belly posts have me thinking I need to go get some! Nice work my friend!

Thanks John! Can't waste all that rendered goodness! I usually put a pan under under it so as not to lose barq but the rack was full and this was easier.

Not sure if yours is the same way but my phone tastes bad :emoji_laughing: . For sure go get a belly if you haven't done in awhile. I've been going overboard on them recently haha.

I’ll take all 3 please!!! The pork 3 way looks delicious!!

I keep forgetting to try the braid. I’ve wanted to try that with pork loin that others have posted. I know that braid is buried somewhere in my “things to try” notebook.

Awesome job!

Thanks Xray! The braid is something I've put off or forgotten about and finally remembered. Definitely try one. Plus they look cool! :emoji_sunglasses:

Thanks Jake! You've got it.
Tell me more or tag me if you post the peach Beans... Sounds good!

I used country ham pieces in place of bacon

I used country ham pieces in place of bacon
Awesome. Thanks. I like the pineapple in Dutch's beans so I think peach should work great.

full

Happy New Year Y'all! We had a small shindig so I decided Pork Butt would be a quick easy cook. Then I decided I wanted more Pork Belly and that lead to also wanting to try the Pork Belly Braid, cause why not!? The following ensued...

Cook Details:
Date: 12/31/19
Meat: Pork Butt (Bone In), Pork Belly 2 ways
Rub: Pitfaced BBQ On Point
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: Pecan
Temp: 250°F
Cook Time: Pork Butt - 12 Hours PBBEs - 3 hours Pork Braid - 4.5 Hours
Sides: Scratch Mac & Cheese and Pulled Pork Sauce

Pictures (Comments on top):

Pork Butt on the pit with Pecan Pellets in the hopper and smoke tube

full

Put into a pan to catch some renderings (left uncovered)

full

Pork Belly Cubed

full

Pork Belly Braid Prep

full

Each strand was coated in wooster sauce and full rub coverage prior to braiding. Ends held with toothpicks.

full

Everyone on the pit!

full

Bone pulled clean around 203 internal

full

Pork Pulled and some pan renderings added back in

full

Pork Belly Burnt Ends Straight up, no glaze this time

full

Pork Belly Braid!

full

full

full

Pork Panned and Mac & Cheese ready

full

Incoming Bear View! Wipe Your Feet Bearcarver Bearcarver lol!

full

Butter Toasted Ritz Topping

full

Pulled Pork Sauce

full

Bottled

full

Plated

full

Final Thoughts:

It had been awhile since I've done Pulled Pork and I needed to rectify that. Overall this was a pretty straight forward cook. No glazes, spritz's, or wraps, Just smoke and time. And probably a little booze on the side for the cook :emoji_grin: . I was rel happy with how everything turned out. The re-added renders from the butt back into the final product was delicious! so much flavor and moisture. The sauce is not necessary but gives an added zing from the ACV base. The PBBEs were standard. More of a snack so I left them straight up. Really enjoy them.

Now for the Braid... I had seen it posted on here awhile back and a few other places and never remember to ever try one. I needed to fix that. Prep is pretty straight forward. While I had the three strands split up I made sure to cover each leg in full before braiding to ensure maximum flavorization! I did have to bring the wife in cause I'm not an expert at braiding. One quick lesson later and I had it all wrapped up and skewered to hold the loose ends together. Once it was done I just cut 1/4" slices. I thought they would be just like PBBEs in flavor and texture. Way wrong. The folded up layers obviously increased the surface area and it rendered slower as a result compared to the Bites. The texture was awesome! A little more fat and bit to it. I really enjoyed it and will be doing again!

It was a great meal and a great night with some great people. On to the next meal!

Cheers Y'all!

TL;DR

Pork Three Ways

tenor.gif
As good as it gets! Looks wonderful. Bet the guest ate like Kings and Queens. Happy New Year!!

Zach....that is some fantastic looking food buddy!! Don't know how I missed this one but everything you've shown here just looks like a LOT of fun to have cooked. No more parties in my foreseeable future so that'd be a bit much for me to do right now but I sure did enjoy seeing yours. Great job sir and a big LIKE!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky