Pop's Cured Smoked Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Scott Eisenbraun

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2018
Bismarck ND
Cured some wings in Pop's brine for a day and half. Smoked at 275 for an hour, then cranked up to 400 for a half hour. Made a dipping sauce of deli mustard, honey, butter, and Thai chili sauce. Man, that's some good eating.
20181016_191421_resized[74].jpg
20181016_191526_resized[71].jpg
20181016_191913_resized[70].jpg

Looks great. Never tried wings. I have done whole birds. People freek out about the pink chicken

Recipe for wing dip sauce:

4 tbl butter
1 tsp minced garlic
4 tbl thai sweet thai chili sauce - I use Mae Ploy
2 tbl brown deli mustard
2 to 4 tbl honey

Simmer in small pan to cook garlic and thicken. All measurements are approximate. I never measure anything but the curing brine.

Smoked for an hour @ 275 then 400 oven for a 1/2 hour? Or maybe you have a pellet unit for the quick change in heat? Just a clarification for little ole` me please.

"Recipe for wing dip sauce:

4 tbl butter
1 tsp minced garlic
4 tbl thai sweet thai chili sauce - I use Mae Ploy
2 tbl brown deli mustard
2 to 4 tbl honey

Simmer in small pan to cook garlic and thicken. All measurements are approximate. I never measure anything but the curing brine."

This sounds quite yummy!

In my neck of the woods, there was a wing joint that had some servants that supported their stuff. hut ahem,,,

I still am trying to figure out their rub for the "Cajun" Best flavor wings for my tastes were Hooters, Cajun and naked. Not hot, nor coated, just tasty!

I have a Yoder 640 pellet smoker. One of the nice features is the ability to go from 180 to 600 degrees. A kitchen oven would have worked just as well.

We lost our Hooters. Still have a couple wing joints. When I'm lazy, the wife picks some up and we pop them in the toaster oven to set the sauce and crisp up the skin. Hate rubber skin.

Lost ours here too. We have 2 very great smoked wing places here. It was just that the seasoning that was on the "Cajun Naked" wings there were my favorite for seasonings.

sweet thai chili sauce, is your brand very hot in btu's?

Wings look really good and the sauce sounds fantastic. We also lost our only hooters here. Money laundering issues - if memory serves me correctly.
Point for sure.
Chris

After we talked about the wings I was wondering what you did . Did you end up injecting ? Look great .

After we talked about the wings I was wondering what you did . Did you end up injecting ? Look great .

I didn't inject, just brined. I figured the thickness of the meat would absorb the cure OK. The meat took the cure throughout. They were nice and moist.

By the way, thank you for the wing sauce recipe. It was the inspiration for what I ended up making. Went perfect with the wings.

Good deal , yeah I got the idea from a bar on the south side . Inside of that wing is perfect , and the outside has great color . It will be hard to do them any other way .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky